Can I use mycloud2ultra as an external HD

Is it possible to use the mycloud2ultra as an external HD? i.e Have no encryption on such that the drives could be removed and inserted into an external drive bay and still read?

@woldsweather

You do not own a My Cloud Home.

What is the Operating System/Firmware for you device? Have you read the User Manual.
All Network Attached Storage: Shop NAS Enclosures & Drives | Western Digital

How do you mean I don’t own one?

I am using Windows 11 Pro. Re re manual.

No, the My Cloud EX2 Ultra is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and it must be connected to a network to function.

Some people are obsessed about users posting in the “wrong” forum. Rather than simply answering their question.

1 Like

The problem is two folds

• The answers are often wrong when readers from outside the subforum who don’t actually know the device to try to answer the question. They don’t own the machine and they think they know, but don’t actually know because their knowledge do not apply.
  • It confuses the readers in the subforum because they now have misinformation that they think applies to their device due to some guy trying to help but getting it wrong. So they end up complaining about how “useless” the subforum has become.

If the original poster had read and posted in the correct subforum, he might have come up with a better and more useful use case in this My Cloud EX2 Ultra subforum reply:

Don’t lecture me, as if I’m some newbie who doesn’t know how forums work. You clearly didn’t learn anything from the last shellacking I gave you, and you couldn’t be further from the truth when identifying the real source of the problem.

Also, if people really cared about the forums so much, they’d try to do something about all the SPAMMERS and useless garbage. Earlier today, six of the top ten threads were SPAM, much of which was clearly generated by A.I. chatbots.

Users come here for answers, and very few of them care about posting in the “correct” subforum, despite certain people looking for a quick power trip from telling users where to go, which often results in duplicate threads being created, leading to even more clutter and confusion.

The problem is exacerbated by confusing subforum names that very much appear to be the “correct” place to pose questions. One such example is the My Cloud Home subforum. Thus, people logically see it as a “Home” for My Cloud information.

Then there’s the problem of how subforum choices are presented to the user when they create a new topic. It’s a morass of overly lengthy “My Cloud” subforum names that resemble the following.

• My Cloud OS 5 Personal & Network Attached Storage
  • Announcements & Discussions Forum Feedback
  • Announcements & Discussions Off Topic Discussions
  • My Cloud Home - Personal Cloud Storage My Cloud Home
  • My Cloud OS 3 Personal & Network Attached Storage

So get off your soapbox and just answer users questions… if you can.

1 Like

Seriously do you just read through every new forum post on WD and check it for issues? Because you don’t seem to offer much but talking to people who are looking for help like they’re idiots.

And you were a firefighter, I can just picture you showing up to a blazing house and lecturing people on using extension cords :joy:

1 Like

Not to knock the firefighter profession as a whole, but our local volunteer fire department is filled with type A personalities about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Most of the locals call them “Driveway Savers”. :joy:

1 Like

Haha no kidding. And it might help if they structure of the forums weren’t harder to understand than quantum physics :yum:

1 Like

Indeed it would. I’ve been coming here for years, and it still confuses me sometimes. Yet, some people actually have the gall to say that posting in the wrong subforum “confuses the readers”, then get upset when you point out the flaws in their logic.

Well, people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”
~ Albert Einstein

Invariably, day after day, you’ll see the same people telling users to post in the “correct” subforum, as if it did any good the last 6237490 times they tried, because it keeps happening. It simply never occurred to them that the forum itself, and especially confusing My Cloud device names, may be to blame.

• WDMyCloud
  • WDMyCloudEX4100
  • WDMyCloudDL4100
  • WDMyCloudEX2100
  • WDMyCloudDL2100
  • WDMyCloudMirror
  • MyCloudEX2Ultra
  • MyCloudPR4100
  • MyCloudPR2100
  • WDCloud

The confusing device names problem even bit me very recently, where a script I use to build apps takes certain actions based on the device name, where some device names start with “WD” and some do not.