Can I mirror my WDMC to a USB drive?

I was hoping that I could attach a USB drive to the My Cloud and set it up to automatically mirror the My Cloud drive. Any suggestions?

The WD My Cloud operating system has a backup option called SafePoint that is configurable via the WD My Cloud Dashboard. By setting up a SafePoint the WD My Cloud will save/backup the contents of the WD My Cloud to either; an external USB hard drive attached to the USB port on the WD My Cloud, or a storage location located elsewhere on the local network.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest you read through the WD My Cloud User Manual, in particular Chapter 11 Managing SafePoints.

Thanks I know that, but then I need to ‘restore’ from that safepoint right? I can’t just take the USB drive and plug it into another computer and copy the data?

deepakvrao wrote:

Thanks I know that, but then I need to ‘restore’ from that safepoint right? I can’t just take the USB drive and plug it into another computer and copy the data?

Yes, you can plug the USB drive into another computer and access the SharePoint backup data. The video at the following link explains it: WD My Cloud Q&A: Safepoint Backups - Can the data be read without a My Cloud? Yes.

1 Like