Can anyone help me with WD My Book Studio for Mac

Hi guys. 

This may be a stupid question to some of you more tech savvy people out there, but i didn’t know where to go for help so i thought i’d take it on here and ask some of you lovely people. Really any help will be greatly appreciated. 

For a while i’ve had my eye on a My Book Studio for mac, a 4TB storage one because my imac is running heavily out of space and theres a lot of things i want to keep and not delete. So my question is: How does My Book Studio actually work? Can i transfer over all my files from my imac’s hard drive and also 2TB’s of data that i have on my My Passport hard drive too? Does it act like a computer hard drive in the sense that i can access files from the Studio without having to transfer them back and forth and such like i do with a My Passport? can i play video files directly from the drive? can i play said files if the media player is on my computer’s main hard drive? Please please help me understand. 

Would i be better off with one of these? Or should i just buy another 2TB external hard drive just for storing my files?

I really hope all of this makes sense because i really don’t know what else to do. 

If anyone can help i’d appreciate it if you were really simple with your computer termology because i am abit of a self confessed technophobe at heart, though i do try. 

Hi there,

The My Book Studio will work exactly like the My Passport you currently have. Could you provide me an example of what kind of files do you need to move out of your Passport and into your computer in order to use them? I’m not all that knowledgeable on Mac but for regular files you should be able to play and access them straight from the devices (be it the Passport or the My Book).

Let me know :smiley: