Bug Report - Ryzen AM4 intermittent WHEA errors with Western Digital hard drives

Myself and a few other users with various hardware configurations on the AM4 platform have reported very similar problems with intermittent WHEA fatal hardware errors reported in the Windows error logs. After converting the raw data in the error messages from hex code into text strings, we have found that the codes for Western Digital internal hard drives are the common denominator.

In my case, I have two Western Digital drives: 1) WDC WD10EZRX-00D8PB0, and 2) WDC WD10EADS-11M2B3. I have noticed that the error logs show two WHEA errors posted every five days or so, both within a short period of time (~30min). Both errors correspond to each respective hard drive. Both drives function perfectly fine and there’s no instability issues reported.

This has continued for months despite a number of bios updates on my B550 motherboard. The same issue has been reported on Ryzen 3000, Ryzen 5000, A500 and B500 motherboards (from different vendors), etc. This may be an issue with either Western Digital or AMD, but I’m not exactly sure at this stage. It needs to be investigated further, as it has likely caused many unnecessary RMA’s.

This finding explains why some users have ongoing WHEA errors while others don’t.