Best way to rip CDs and DVDs

I am new to this media conversion stuff and have got a WD HD TV and My Book drive. I need to know how best to convert my CDs and DVDs onto the drive in the best quality format so I can put the CDs and DVDs into storage. I have had a look around the web, but there just seem to be to many options - can anyone help? Thanks!

My $0.02, use handbrake, rip to H264+vobsub to mkv container

Thanks - I will look these up on the web and find out more about them…

My software of choice is DVDFab. Lots of features. Lets you keep or get rid of extras on the DVD as well as different audio languages and stuff. You can encode into other formats or keep them lossless. The downside…it’s not free. But, there is a trial so you can go play with it and see for yourself before spending any money.

for lossless  and fastest operations you can use makemkv to rip the discs to mkv container. you have the options to remove unneeded audio video or subtitle tracks too. and its free.

check

http://www.makemkv.com

but u should not forget that makemkv is not a video or audio encoder. what you get will be what you have in your disc.

hey i used that makemkv but it outputs the files way to big

6gb for a dvd ???

yep yur right

makemkv puts the files into mkv container as they are.

its not of anykind audio/video encoder.

but its an easy way to prepare the files and get rid of unwanted thingy  in case file size is not of any problem.

furthermore the quality is not changed in any way.

and it is not as time consuming as other methods as used by Handbrake, DVDFab, DVDzip, etc…

With DVDFab, you can put them in an ISO container as they are, or encode them to something else. Not sure about putting them in an MKV container as they are but I know you can encode them as something (H264 for example) and put them in an MKV container.

Question about makemkv…Can I split a DVD up by chapter and store each chapter in a separate MKV file? May sound stupid but the Phineas and Ferb DVD I have contains two episodes per title and divides them into two chapters. I can put them into separate ISOs but my Gen1 WD TV can’t play ISO files less than ~30 minutes and each episode is only really about 10 minutes. Thanks.

Before batch ripping/encoding a lot of movies, check QPEL/GMC

I posted some more info in this thread: WD Moderators or admins… Codec Suport

Question about makemkv....Can I split a DVD up by chapter and store each chapter in a separate MKV file? May sound stupid but the Phineas and Ferb DVD I have contains two episodes per title and divides them into two chapters. I can put them into separate ISOs but my Gen1 WD TV can't play ISO files less than ~30 minutes and each episode is only really about 10 minutes.

not sure about what you meant.

but Makemkv has the ability to make different mkv files from the titles of the original DVD. And also this mkv file will contain chapter information from the original DVD which you can reach from the far right menu while yur using the options button.

the point here is that it would be nice to skip the chapters using for example right or left buttons.

Right, I realize that the WD TV lets you get to different chapters using the options menu, which I’m not sure why they haven’t added that support for ISOs. This is one of the reasons I’m considering switching to MKV.

The other reason I’m considering switching is that the WD TV doesn’t play ISO files that are less than 30 minutes or so in length… So back to my original question and I’ll try to be clearer.

Makemkv has the ability to make different mkv files from the titles of the original DVD.

Does makemkv have the ability to make different mkv files for each chapter of a given title? May sound stupid to do this but there are some really weird DVDs out there. DVDFab lets me do it but there’s the WD TV problem with the too small ISOs.

Does makemkv have the ability to make different mkv files for each chapter of a given title?

No.

It just makes seperate mkv files with chapter info for each seperate  title of the original DVD.

I agree DVD fab is the best I have used.   It is slick and works very well…   well worth the $$ IMHO

Brian

DVD Catalyst 3  … this software ROCKS for doing all my conversions and rips!