Backup of My Cloud to Amazon Cloud and/or IDrive backup service

I would really like to see Amazon added as a Cloud Service to backup the My Cloud drive. Another great feature would be integration of cloud backup services like IDrive so I could have the MyCloud backup directly to the service. I don’t see these as competing services with MyCloud rather as complimentary services. I need my MyCloud to have a backup.

3 Likes

Feel free to join others who have requested the ability to backup the My Cloud to online storage sites like Amazon, Dropbox and others over in the Cloud Ideas subforum. There are several threads including the following requesting that feature.

https://community.wd.com/t/implement-onedrive-synchronization/97084

https://community.wd.com/t/headless-backup-to-online-storage/97077

https://community.wd.com/t/mycloud-mirror-sync-with-dropbox-onedrive-google-drive-apple-icloud-or-others/97106/

https://community.wd.com/t/mycloudex3-support-amazon-s3-good-please-get-amazon-glacier-support/97000

If you are an Amazon admin, you could set a ssh server at Amazon. Once you can ssh from one device to the other, you can create a rsync script combine with a cron job to backup as needed.

Ideal? No. But very easy for Linux admins and not too complicated for beginners who are willing to read/research/learn Linux.

Thanks for the input. I have a Raspberry PI - do you happen to know a PI linux build that works well with IDrive?

Sorry I do not. The days I played around with the Pi, was with openelec only :slight_smile:

This utility might be useful. I use it to sync my WD Mycloud out to Amazon and Google drive.

That will still require copying all the files to my computer (where I run rclone) first, right? I can just drag stuff manually. I want to get rid of the intermediate copy and go straight from my NAS to Amazon.

Probably not, if you map the NAS into your computer’s file system.

Then you’d just run rclone on the drive that is mapped to the NAS. Data would pass through your PC, but you wouldn’t have to copy it to an HDD on the PC.

Rclone is an excellent solution combined with the RaspberryPi.

• First I built a standard Raspbian Raspberry Pi
  • Installed Rclone on it - you need the Linux ARM - 32 Bit version

How to install:

unzip rclone-v1.28-linux-arm.zip
cd rclone-v1.28-linux-arm
#copy binary file
sudo cp rclone /usr/sbin/
sudo chown root:root /usr/sbin/rclone
sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/rclone
#install manpage
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/man/man1
sudo cp rclone.1 /usr/local/share/man/man1/
sudo mandb

rclone config

This configuration depends on the cloud service you are using.

• Then you need to initiate a backup

Example:
    rclone copy source:sourcepath dest:destpath

• You probably then want to schedule backups - use crontab or similar.

Let me know if you want any further details on this
Gilad

Sorry for the crappy formatting

be careful what you wish for: WD’s S3 support is totally underwhelming, does not work, has no user diagnostics, fails in the middle of large backups with no information, has obviously never been tested. and oh, PS - WD Support doesnt care

take a look at the ARQ Backup app which runs on Mac & Win; it is excellent, works great, and connects to all major cloud services.

Managing Bucket Logging

a hybrid cloud offering to supplement our NAS boxes would be very impressive!!

WD MyCloud NAS does not support iDrive with any on-board app as of March 2024.

It’s a glaring shortfall in the platform given that iDrive is really the leading and only affordable solution out there for cloud archive of more than 2 TB of data. The other services (OneDrive, Google Drive, either don’t offer in excess of 2 TB for a single user or get prohibitively expensive.) iDrive is the best option out there, but WD MyCloud does not support it. Really, the only provided “App” that supports archiving to cloud storage is GoodSync, but that does not support backing up to iDrive.

There is a way to make it partly work, but it is not ideal… Install iDrive on your desktop machine. In Windows, set up a high level folder on your My Cloud NAS as a mapped network drive on your desktop machine. Ie, enable file sharing, assign a drive letter, and set it up to automatically reconnect when the computer starts up. iDrive can then be used to backup this mapped drive.

The problems are…

1. It will be slow, because the backup has to read the file list remotely over slower local network, which can take hours over wifi. And then it needs to copy each file from the NAS over the local network to your desktop machine and then back again over the local network to your router and then up to the cloud server. This is painful over wifi. And this is much slower than if you had your WD NAS speaking directly to the cloud server.

2. iDrive, unfortunately, will not “clean up” cloud archives of external or mapped drives. When its an internal drive, iDrive will periodically “clean up” the cloud archive, deleting files that have been deleted from the local drive being backed up. This clears out old files that are no longer needed and effectively syncs the backup with the local drive. When its an external or mapped drive though, iDrive only adds files to the archive. Deletions must be done manually… either on file at a time, or whole directories, which supposedly will then refresh on the next scheduled backup. So the cloud archive will only grow, not be kept in sync with the data being backed up. Again, this limitation in iDrive only applies to external and mapped drives. I’m guessing it has something to do with the slow speed associated with those types of drives.

By contrast, Synology has on-board support for iDrive backup direct to the iDrive cloud service. I really wish WD support this for the My Cloud NAS as well. If I had realized before buying, I probably would not have purchased it.