Back up WD TV Live Hub

Hi,

does anyone know how to back up the WD TV Live Hub (1TB)? 

I don’t think i can just connect the media player to the computer, and back up to another external hard drive, right?

Any idea is appreciated.

Mike

Hi MikeMangle, welcome to the Community. You can either connect a USB drive to the Live Hub and use the file explorer to manually copy the files, or you can map it as a network share to copy the files directly to your PC or to a USB drive attached to the PC. For the steps on how to map the Live Hub on your PC check link below. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2676

2 Likes

3 options for backing up …

Slow       :  Via Network connection to your PC

Medium :  Attach external HDD to the Live Hub and use the “Disk Manager” to “Copy” files accross

Fastest  :  Disassemble the Live Hub and Remove the Internal HDD and connect it to your PC via SATA  *

* will void your warranty (if you have any) and you must be careful not to break anything

2 Likes

Hi, 

thank you for the replies. 

I tried connecting the external HD to the Live Hub, and from my laptop’s Windows Explorer, tried copying the files(356GB) from the Live Hub to the external HD(shows up as disk_0), and it gave me an estimate of ‘more than 1 day’ for time remaining. And the speed was only 1.5MB/s, so it was very slow. After about 11 hours, it has only finished 60GB. 

Do you know what could be the problem?  

Mike

1 Like

Hello,

Backing up the WD TV Live Hub is easy.  First you may want to get some software from Western Digital which I believe is called “WD Discovery with installer”.  Once you have that installed you will then be able to see the drive(s) attached to your WD TV Live Hub (internal and external) on your computer.  You’ll be able to access your files from the Gigabit ethernet port pretty easily.  In my experience using the media player it is pretty slow when it comes to moving or copying files.  Especially true if you are moving or copying many files or large amounts (as in many GigaBytes) at a time.  When I synced my 1 TB external My Book to the internal drive I literally had to wait at least 2 days before I could do anything with it.  After that I turned off the sync feature.

Using the internal media manager is just plain slow.  More so if you have hundreds or thousands of files within your sub-folders.  If you just want to attach an external hard drive to it and use the built-in media manager to move or copy files then go for it.  You can totally do that.  I shuffle temporary data to my internal HDD on the media player frequently.  Then I can unplug the external and delete those temporary files as I watch them.  It is my way of keeping up with 8,100 TV shows, movies, and concerts.

I hope this helps,

Cheers

1 Like

MikeMangle wrote:I tried connecting the external HD to the Live Hub, and from my laptop’s Windows Explorer, tried copying the files(356GB) from the Live Hub to the external HD(shows up as disk_0), and it gave me an estimate of ‘more than 1 day’ for time remaining. And the speed was only 1.5MB/s, so it was very slow. After about 11 hours, it has only finished 60GB. 

Do you know what could be the problem?  

60GB should not take 11 Hours :dizzy_face:

(if you connected an external HDD to the Hub … you should have used the Hub’s " Disk Manager" (which is USB to USB) to copy the files… initiating the “Copy” from the Laptop is throwing 3 devices into the loop and unnecessary network negotiation)

Off Topic: I copied some movies from my PC to WDTV Live Hub (Via Network Connection) to the Internal HDD (and vice-versa )

i get approx 7.64 MB/s which took 2hrs and 10min to transfer 60GB

i don’t use Windows copier … i use FastCopy: http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

fastcopy.jpg

2hr10m.jpg

If I have a LOT of files to move I just pull the drive out of the Hub and connect it to the PC with a USB/SATA adapter.

If I have about 10 or so I connect the Hub with the cat5 cable directly to the ethernet card in the PC, not as fast as USB adapter but a little better than over the network speed.

Backup the WD TV Live Hub?   I do it the other way around.  On my home PC is (among many other drives) a 1TB drive that has serves as the first home for a new movie.  The second or backup copy is the one I watch:

1. Create a hard drive copy of a new DVD using MakeMKV , putting the copy in a folder on WDMovies (the 1TB Drive on my home PC).

2. Copy the movie to the matching folder on the WD TV Live Hub internal hard drive.  Yes, its not lightning fast, but even a larger DVD movie (I only rarely watch/copy Blu-Ray movies) copies in 5 or 10 minutes. 

3. Voila!  Watch the movie, knowing that eventually the internal drive will fail (ENTROPY ALWAYS WINS!), but a spare copy is always there.  And because I am watching the “backup” copy of the original, I have in effect tested both of my copies to be sure some glitch hasn’t happened during the copy.

Of course, I only rarely go thru this exact process now as the internal drive filled up a long time ago.  But occasionally I have second thoughts about how I have movies organized, and move things around on these two drives.  And I always go thru a similar backup/main copy process for the other 15TB (currently) I store movies on:  Copy the movie to the appropriate drive; then copy the movie to a second network-accesssible drive, than watch via WD TV Live Hub.

Good Luck!