Audio track display

re: setup->music settings->audio track display-> by title / by file name

This seems to have no effect, the music tracks are always displayed by file name. I want the title display. My tracks are correctly tagged, so that’s not the problem. I saw some old posts on this topic but they didn’t seem to have a definitive answer.

I am using local data source, a usb drive plugged into the wdtv unit.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

wayne_h wrote:

re: setup->music settings->audio track display-> by title / by file name

just a guess as i do not own this device: doesn’t this feature depend on media library switched on?

Wayne said it was a local source…usb. So it wouldn’t have anything to do with a media library. I am not home but will try it on mine when I get home…same file played through USB and then through a network media library and see if there is a difference.

My guess is that because it’s local (USB) it doesn’t decode the tag until it’s actually being played. So it only sorts it by file name. When playing the file does it show all the proper tag info on screen?

If that is the case seems like a pretty big whoops on WDs part. I would be pissed too.

Yes it shows the correct tag info for the song that’s playing. You are probably right that it doesnt read the tag until then. I didnt want to turn on media library because it was adding all these xml files to my nicely orgranized system.

bmcelvan wrote:My guess is that because it’s local (USB) it doesn’t decode the tag until it’s actually being played. So it only sorts it by file name. When playing the file does it show all the proper tag info on screen?

Yeah, after years of tagging my music collection I used Windows Media player…ONE TIME…and it messed everything up in about 20 minutes…literally altered about 10,000 song. I was so so pissed! Luckily I found that I had a backed up copy with about 99% of it…last time I ever did that…stuck to and still use winamp today for local play…and foobar for media server.

I would recommend using Foobar media server from your PC…it’s what I use for music only (p3s media server for videos). Foobar is the best I’ve see so far, I’ve tried probably 15 media servers including plex, logitech, etc. Foobar is just awesome! Doesn’t change anyhthing, fully customizable, etc.

1 Like

Winamp is my main player too, its the best.

The whole idea of wdtv for me was that I could shut off my pc and it would play the stuff on my external media backup without any muss or fuss.

I suppose I could add this to wish list, it doesnt seem like a difficult thing to implement.

I just tested on my livehub. Set media library to off will force the device to sort by filename even if you selected sort by songname

But this may not be the same behavior of the wdtv.

by the way: i do not have any unwanted xmls in my library because i set metadata to manual only.

you lose some features with media library to off. But navigation is very slow with media library on. 

1 Like