Asynchronism in mkv, HD Material

Hello,

regarding the vast amount of threads on german HiFi and WDTV related forums concerning this matter, i am most likely speaking on behalf of most WDTV-Live users that are utilizing the product for watching MKV files with AC3/DD5.1 audio streams.

Due to the badly translated german language in WDTV’s OSD, i can only presume that you’re not following the respective discussions on german forums and that this circumstance is the only reason for why the issue has not been fixed for several months.

When watching source material in the above mentioned constellation (MKV h.264 + AC3 DD5.1), an asynchronism of audio and video streams will spoil the whole experience in a way which makes the actual movie unwatchable and therefore renders the WDTV-Live with its current firmware useless for me.

The issue is especially prominent with 1080p material where the offset of the audio stream is about 100-150 ms.

Oddly enough, not every MKV seems to be affected and only WDTV’s digital outs (HDMI/optical) will exhibit this malfunctional behaviour.

Most users report that switching the audio out to “stereo” would resolve the issue or at least improve it, which might be good to know but is in no way acceptable as a permanent workaround as surround sound is a preference.

Please let me know if this annoying bug is known to Western Digital employees and if a fix can be expected.

If you need a more detailed description or if i can assist giving a more convenient guide for reproducing the bug, just let me know.

I have posted messages (as others) reporting exactly the same issues as you have listed. I think mp4’s are also doing exactly the same.

I find that the switch to stereo makes things better, but does not completely fix it. I particularly refer to one BR conversion, with close up’s and  dialog, where lip synch issues are most distracting in surround sound and watchable in stereo.

“I find that the switch to stereo makes things better, but does not completely fix it.”

• exactly.

But what AND WHEN will WD fix this terrible bug? I’ve never read any statement from WD according this bug.

I have the same problem. The file plays excellent on the PC (sync is ok). Then when you play is on the WD TV Live (not streaming!) it is out off sync. 

Switching to stereo works but is not a sollution. I hope that WD will solve this very irritating problem. Bought the WD TV Live to watch HD material. 

This problem is far more important than some tweaks for de Youtube service. 

Greetz

despier

Sorry for my english!

Whats going on WD?

Any Statement?

I often watch 720p/1080p MKV (h.264 video, AC3 5.1 or DTS 5.1 audio) via HDMI and notice the same audio sync problems.  As soon as I notice it, I remux the mkv file on my computer using mkvmerge GUI to add a +200 ms delay to the audio track, and that seems to fix it for me.  Extremely annoying, but works for me until WD resolves the problem.

I’ve had a bit more luck with the latest official firmware, 1.01.24.  If you haven’t tried that firmware yet, I suggest you do and don’t forget to do a factory reset after upgrading.  Oh and before I forget, I play all my files wirelessly via network shares (the WDTV is connected to a 802.11g wireless router which acts as a bridge to my computer, which has a 802.11g wireless USB adapter).  Playing the files off local USB flash drive does not resolve the audio sync problems.

theu pdate is making zero differenc efor me with this issue.

muxing in a delay is illadvised since this is not occuring on other devices with same files or through analog out on the WD itself.

I have the same audio sync issue. MKV/H264 play perfect on computer (VLC and XBMC) but on the “WDTV Lame” there are terrible audio sync issues. Come on WD fix this issue! Try encoding some H264 yourselves and see if you get the same problem, or maybe you just couldnt be bothered, no doubt it’s all just too hard!

Do they know the Bug?

I buyed the **bleep** expensive Media Player from this company and i swear i will throw it out of the window when the bug isnt fixed in the next weeks and buy another player. Or better: I will change it and want my money back. Like hundred other german owners.

I buyed for thousants of euros a home cinema and cant watch HD Material couse of buying the WD live! Thats terrible!

First, a statement is a good beginning.

I’ve got the same problem with my WD Media-Player HD (not live), Software 1.01.77. The Delay is about 100 ms.

I have the exact same issue trying to play mkv videos with AC3 sound.  I really hope WD comes up with a fix for this problem soon.  On my pc the video plays perfectly. 

WD gives da **bleep**!

I selled my live on eBay and buyed a brand new Popcorn A200 with autoFramerate and syncron AC3 sound! Im VERY happy with it :slight_smile:

Thats crazy that you mention the A200.  I literally was just looking at them online and wondering if that could solve all of my mkv woes.  Putting my WD HD TV Live for sale right now.

Sorry WD, but I wanted to have proper playback of AC3 audio  encoded mkv files.   Its not a rare combination to have, its one of the standard outputs from the popular and excellent Handbrake.

I would have held off on the selling but I have not seen an advisory or message on the forums letting users know that this issue has been acknowleged and WD is working on a fix.

Too bad, Popcorn A200 all the way!

If you get a Popcorn A200 don’t forget to get the new firmware!!!

one of the fixes:

– workaround for MKV audio lip-sync issue

I wonder what ‘workaround’ means?

Looking at the release notes for the firmware upgrade this unit went out really faulty.

http://www.digitalera.co.uk/news/popcorn-hour/popcorn-hour-a-200-firmware-update/

It seems that most devices have problems and the grass is not always greener.

I dont know what workarround means, but it fixes the Problem for me :slight_smile:

“I would have held off on the selling but I have not seen an advisory or message on the forums letting users know that this issue has been acknowleged and WD is working on a fix.”

^^

Are you shure that problem is inside WD TV?

How the mkv files are created?

Converting a .TS file using the DivX converter 7.1 pro i have often the same problem.

If i remux the .TS file before using TSREMUX (freeware) there is an option to check synchronism.

After a remux and than a conversion to .MKV i have this error never.

regards

hschenk

Hi, i checked the old WD Gen1 from my neighbour without “live” and there was no Problem!

BUT

The old WD got the 23,972 fbs bug, where all my movies decoded in…so haha… this is no workarround for me.

Ok i just bought 1 of these devices and i have the exact same issue .

I have a HDMI link to my Sony TV ( brand new 2 week old )and a Toslink to my Yamaha AVR. My Yamaha AVR is DD 5.1 only not DTS and the problem i have is this:-

When i play a mkv with audio AC3 DD5.1 track going to my Yamaha AVR i get a lipsync issue and its driving me nuts.

If i use the audio AC3 DD5.1 track via the HDMI cable to my SONY TV its perfect no issues The fact this is only happening for me via the Toslink means there is a definite problem with the WD LIve.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware to no effect. Is there going to be a fix or workaround ?

I also have the issue where i the display wont sync with my SONY TV correctly and keeps setting itself to 480p even though its configured to 1080p. I have to power the WD Live up and down multiple times until it finally decides to display 1080p, whats this all about ?

This thing is going back to Amazon if there is no fixes in the works. Its not preforming as advertised.

PaulF wrote:
Ok i just bought 1 of these devices and i have the exact same issue . I have a HDMI link to my Sony TV and a Toslink to my Yamaha AVR. My Yamaha AVR is DD 5.1 only not DTS and the problem i have is this:- When i play a mkv with audio AC3 DD5.1 track going to my Yamaha AVR i get a lipsync issue and its driving me nuts. If i use the audio AC3 DD5.1 track via the HDMI cable to my SONY TV its perfect no issues The fact this is only happening for me via the Toslink means there is a definite problem with the WD LIve. I have upgraded to the latest firmware to no effect. Is there going to be a fix or workaround ? I also have the issue where i the display wont sync with my SONY TV correctly and keeps setting itself to 480p even though its configured to 1080p. I have to power the WD Live up and down multiple times untill it finally decides to display 1080p, whats this all about ?

No, that does NOT mean there’s a problem with the WDTV.   This is NOT unusual when the Video and Audio streams take totally separate paths.

The TV is only decoding video (which it does at its own pace), and the AVR is decoding the audio at its own pace.  If I had to guess, I’m betting that with the lip sync problem, the audio is ahead of the video?

The way you hooked up, there’s no way to ensure that both audio and video will be syncronized.  When both the audio and video are going via HDMI, the TV has the ability to maintain sync because it’s responsible for presenting BOTH streams, not just one…

The only workaround I’ve ever seen is a programmable delay for the video vs the audio or vice versa.   I have 6 HDMI devices, and only ONE of them (an old Philips DVD player) had this function, so the lack of it on everything else is the norm, not the rule.

Not trying to be snotty or anything, but if it works fine when you use the audio via the TV, why not just do that?

In your latter issue, that’s an HDCP handshake problem.   They’re unfortunately commonplace.   You’ve also described the most common fix:  Make sure the display is turned on before the HDMI source is turned on.

I’ve heard of this affecting TiVos and other DVRs, and just about ANY HDMI source.  

In my case, it’s when the Wii is on; the TV goes blank for a few seconds at a time because my Pioneer AVR loses sync when upscaling the Wii to HDMI.   It’s just a fact of life that many display vendors don’t interoperate perfectly with the sources.   Who’s to blame?   Most commonly, it’s the display, not the source.

PaulF wrote:> Toslink to my Yamaha AVR. My Yamaha AVR is DD 5.1 only not DTS and the problem i have is this:-

When i play a mkv with audio AC3 DD5.1 track going to my Yamaha AVR i get a lipsync issue and its driving me nuts.

If it’s a Yamaha AVR you will have a lip sync delay feature that can be used to resolve this.

As Tony says, this is a common problem, which is why all Yamaha AVRs have this feature (all three of my Yamaha AVRs have this and I need to use it for all my video sources – it can be set independent of each input).