Anti-virus essentials not updating

Hello exxon,

I´m using an EX2 Ultra under OS version 5.21.104 with a RAID 1 of two 2 TB drives , current data volume (disk space used) is 1 TB (each drive). Approx. 70% of data stored is incremental backup files compressed by backup software, i.e. file sizes of several GB each and compression file format. No apps installed other than Anti-Virus Essentials (ClamAV), no remote software (like backup software e.g. or media player) whatsoever accessing, `Cloud Access´ is off, UPnP is set to off on my Connect Box (router/gateway device) as I don´t approve.

Answers:

1. Updating virus database with Anti-Virus Essentials 1.39 took almost 2 days, the progress bar (to be specific: the displayed information data rather than the “graphical animation”) froze to a halt at 0% quite soon after starting it (and ever I looked, it never showed a different number), while CPU stress hardly ever surpassed the 10% mark (maybe a little more or less) with only short and infrequent peaks up to maybe 50%. RAM usage similar, maybe 30-50% and hardly ever reached 80%. Process “freshclam” will be the one to look for, if you have a mind. In the end however it completed successfully.

2. Full virus scan with Anti-Virus Essentials 1.38 took almost 2 days as well, progress bar soon got stuck at 73% and did never change whenever I checked. But after taking its time it finished successfully.
    Twice revised: With 1.39 I started a full virus scan as well (on the same NAS device). After 3 days with the progress bar showing 0%, the progress bar window said something like “Checking for virus” while suggesting 1% progress. 10 days after starting the full virus scan the progress indicator suggests 2% (which has been the case for 4 days by now) . As I don´t think further attempts of any avail, I will shut down Anti-Virus Essentials now for the time being and hence stop reporting on this here matter.

Cheers