Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

As far as I know: it doesn’t matter, as long as the addresses are somewhere in the Ram Size and not occupied by uboot

2 Likes

Hi Fox, I’m new here. As I understand your posts correctly, means following cpuinfo
Hardware: Marvell Armada 380/381/382/385/388 (device tree)
that I have a “WD My Cloud Mirror Gen. 2”.
So I have to flash the file “WDMyCloudMirrorGen2_Debian_8.0-1.bin”. But the webgui does not accept this file.
My question is, is the bin file already working or what do I do wrong?

Tested only on wd mirror gen1 and wd gen2. For all others - i just build packages. Not tested.
And its not firmware. Its “Package” (App) - Chroot with Debian Jessie inside.

Ok, thanks for your replay. Does anybody get it working and if yes, how?

@Fox_exe
I’m sorry, i didn’t read your post carefully enough. But now I am wondering, why do you need uart debuging? As I know a app in chroot is using the “main kernel”, so I thing the kernel.conf is for building the package. But the WD My Cloud has a SSH login that could be used for debugging, or am i wrong?

I need uart for debug Kernel, not OS.
WDMyCloudMirrorGen2_Debian_8.0-1.bin - App for install from webgui (Not firmware. Just chroot).
Debian for Mirror Gen2 not available meanwhile. DSM6 - Almost ready.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your work @Fox_exe.
Ok, I have been playing around with the files of Fox_exe and found out which file for what is.

Is just the Debian app running in chroot.

Is a firmware to turn WD My Cloud to Synology. But after flashing you need Synology Assistant to upload the OS.

Will be a Firmware for flashin Debian on the WD.

• WDMyCloudMirrorGen2_Debian_8.0-1.bin - Chroot env. Installed as App via “Apps” tab in WD Web GUI (Web Interface).
  • DSM6 - Ported Synology Disk Station Manager (Firmware) to our device.
  • debian-jessie-firmware-test - Debian Jessie for WD MyCloud Mirror Gen1 (Firmware).

Ok thank you! I found it also out.

Just installed DSM on my cloud mirror gen1. Works like a charm!! Is there a chanse that QuickConnect will work? When i try to set it up i just get an error and the service is super useful.

Thanks for your hard work!

For QuickConnect and other Synology “cloud” services need valid pair MAC-Serial.
But we have a little problem with setup it (Need write as kernel boot command in u-boot / bootloader).
Need fw_saveenv tool from u-boot-tools, need fix MAC/SN from WD (Its stored in same data block with u-boot env. When you save u-boot env vars, you erase this block and loose mac/sn WD. Its easy to restore, but idk how bootloader “eat” this)

Thanks for the quick reply! I kinda understand. Well hopefully it would be possible to backup/restore/change mac and sn but emulating another synology’s SN/MAC would confuse the quickconnect. Is this correct?

Also, do you suggest any other methods? I guess i can manually forward ports on the router. Is it just port 5000?

EDIT: Duh! What network ports are used by DSM services? - Synology Knowledge Center

unable to flash in upgrade due to hardware miss-match. What is the upgrade process from 7393.pat

Hi, looking into this, as it’s clear WD have abandoned these devices. TwonkyMedia is ancient, and has some serious bugs.

Am I correct, I lose all my data on my device when I upgrade to the debian version?

Question

I have a My Cloud EX2 (Non ultra) which I have installed Fox_exe’s DSM 6.0 on

I am trying to re-install the Western Digital firmware.
I was following the instructions posted in Google Drive > WDMYCloud > WDMYCloud-Gen1 > Recovery > Boot-Recovery-From-HDD > Readme-en.txt

Issue I have is with this command;
dd if=boot-to-recovery.env of=/dev/sda7
dd if=recovery.img of=/dev/sda6
reboot

It appears to complete the command, but the device does not reboot into recovery.
I only have one HDD installed and when I run “sudo fdisk -l” it lists only sda1, sda3 and sda5.
So the command from the readme-en.txt does not seem to be correct for my application.

Can someone advise me?

Thanks

WDMC Gen1 absolytly different from all other WDMC devices. (Different bootloader/kernel/cpu/ram/instructions… All is different!)

For WDMC Ex2 use instructions from WDMC Mirror Gen1 (For Ex2 Ultra - Mirror Gen2)
/dev/mtd* devices exist? (It can not be present in DSM, because no drivers for internal flash in dsm kernel. Option: Use USB-Drive and Debian/or original wd uimage/uramdisk)

Fox_exe can you point me to the instructions ??

So I use the files in the WDMYCloud-Mirror > Developing folder ??

But how ??

Thanks

I am also looking forward to the answer of this question, but I’m using a mirror WDMC Gen2 device. What I have found out so far, is that it is fairly easy to get a functioning DSM 6.0. Just delete the partitiontabel of all hard drives and install the pat file again.

I think what Fox_exe means is that you need to boot the Dabian version via USB or just using PXE / TFTP. Then you get the /dev/mtd* devices which you have to dd with the uimage/uramdisk.

Please correct me if I’m wrong?!

All correct.
Need use Debian kernel or original WD kernel + my ramdisk (These kernels have drivers/support for mtd (and other hardware). Ramdisk have all software, include telnet server and parted/mdadm tools for manipulate disk, if need.)

I believe theses are the ones you are requesting;
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVSWYxWDBtS2wwejA

Can you post a guide after you have re-verted your My Cloud ??