Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

Are you saying to connect a FTDI serial cable to the my cloud motherboard and issue a boot from USB command ??

Ok restored original Western Digital firmware to both My Cloud EX2 (same as My Cloud Mirror Gen 1) and My Cloud EX2 Ultra (Same as My Cloud Mirror Gen 2)

My Cloud EX2 (same as My Cloud Mirror Gen 1)

1. Prepare a USB drive with files “uImage” and uRamdisk", download from; https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVUWdITUlRT3Bwcms
    format USB fat32, place files in a folder you create named “boot” (I also placed copies of the files outside the folder).

2. With USB attached, Connected by SSH with Putty.exe and login in as root
    I had to over ride the default root password, (sorry I did not save the commands. Try “sudo passwd root” or “sudo su” enter, “synouser --setpw root [NEW PASSWORD]” enter)
    as root enter the following commands;

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
reboot -f

1. Locate the new IP address, I use “Advanced IP Scanner”.
    Browse to the new IP address, and the “Recovery Mode” WebIU will display
    Upload the correct firmware from Western Digital.
    After it reboots, scan for new IP address again and login by browser.

My Cloud EX2 Ultra (same as My Cloud Mirror Gen 2)

1. Prepare a USB drive with files “uImage” and uRamdisk", download from;
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVSWYxWDBtS2wwejA
    format USB fat32, place files in a folder you create named “boot” (I also placed copies of files outside the folder).

2. With USB attached, depress the reset button with a tooth pick and apply power to the My Cloud
    Hold the reset button for forty seconds and then release.

3. Locate the new IP address, I use “Advanced IP Scanner”.
    Browse to the new IP address, and the “Recovery Mode” WebIU will display
    Upload the correct firmware from Western Digital.
    After it reboots, scan for new IP address again and login by browser.

2 Likes

Are this guids tested with both versions of My Cloud Mirror? Anyway thank you very much for this guids!

Fox_exe has stated that the Mirror gen 1 and 2 are the same equipment as the EX2’s which I have used for the guide.

Please report how this works for you.

I got reports from few people - All works on both devices.

For now - i have WDMC Gen2 and WDMC Mirror Gen1 (All tested/worked).
Also i have (temporary) WD MyBook Live (Test debian + OMV. Works good).

I tried to install the DSM 6 on WD My Cloud gen2 (Hardware: Marvell Armada 375)
6 terabytes of disk volume
I use Alternative:

1. Unpack usb-boot.zip to Public folder
  2. Login via SSH (Use PuTTY)
  3. Copy uImage and uRamdisk to /boot/boot/ folder (Replace)
  4. Reboot.
    Diskstation appeared in the network, web assistance define it as DS115. I choose file DSM-wdmc-gen2-8451.pat and begin format the drive. But after 8% I receive an error 53 unable to format the drive
    Please help me, what to do

Yeah, sometime its happend. Need erase disks.
Login via telnet and run:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd[ab] bs=1M count=1000
Then - install DSM.

And… No need to replace files in /boot/boot - wdmc will boot from USB drive (If connected)

1 Like

I use Putty port 23
Network Error Connection Refused

I boot from USB many times

Disassembled WD My Cloud, connect the drive 6 Tb to the system unit, loaded in Kali Linux,
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd[ab] bs=1M count=1000
the process has begun

restarts diskstation and we lost it

it is necessary to connect the flash drive when you reboot again and remove it in 10 seconds

DSM 6 work

DSM 6 work, but Package Center is empty

Is Plex available on DSM6 WD My Cloud gen 2

DSM6 for Mirror Gen2 - untested. I dont have this device, so i dont provide any support for hem.
All done by “blind method”.

1 Like

Yes, but DSM6 worked for me. But i just uploaded the firmware with the WDMC Mirror Gen2 gui/website, later I choose file DSM-wdmc-gen2-8451.pat and begin format the drive, too. And it worked, but you have to be patient and try it maybe several times.

DSM6 is working on WDMC Mirror Gen2, but i dont know how stable, because it bricked. I had to erase the partitiontable before I could uploud DSM-wdmc-gen2-8451.pat a secound time.

1 Like

I managed to upgrade to 8xxx from 7xxx, first had to:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtdblock1
reboot -f
Flash wdfw-boot-to-dsm6-8xxx from WD Recovery
Then Flashed DSM-wdmc-mirror-8451.pat

Also did this without losing data by removing drives first.

Because mtdblock not exist in DSM (No drivers), so you just write “zeroes” to ram, not to flash.
For rollback to WD firmware - use files from “Original” folder (Place it to USB-drive and boot)

Had a go at this today on my MyCloudMirror Gen 1

Right now, I THINK it;'s working, but can’t connect to it. There are so many contradictory posts, this thread is a bit of a mess (supporting multiple devices in a single thread is bad news…).

Anyway, I have slow(ish) blue blinking power, and fast blinking HDD1 and HDD2. Does this mean the kernel is up and running?

Any tips on how to connect to it. Putty doesn’t find it on it’s usual IP address (router assigned from MAC), and a network scan of open ports doesn’t find it either.

Will it use DHCP out of the box? If not, what is the static IP?

Any other tips on how to turn my flashy brick into something useful again? Thanks/

You are right it is a bit of mess. What did you try, to install DSM6 or recover/rollback or install/USB boot into Linux?

Base Debian. Something appears to be very odd with the Mirror gen1 image. If I connect using a cable to my desktop (no router), and run a DHCPd server, I managed to connect, but it simply refuses to connect to my router full stop.

Is there some weird and wonderful IPV6 setting, or somehting configured networking that is non-standard. I have even set a static IP and then tried to get it to connect to my router. That doesn’t work either… It’s as if it doesn’t like some network link speeds or something odd…

You are running the Linux image on your WDMC Mirror Gen1? And it’s working, but only if you connect the Pc directly? Well when I’m afraid I can’t help you, because that’s a very special problem that could be caused literally form every network device.

I think there is something weird with the IPV4 networking. I can connect via the router on IPV6…

It also shows up twice in a network scan (wondering if the UBOOT mac is different and confusing things).