Advantage of Spanning with RAID 10?

I’m setting up my Western Digital My Cloud EX4 and I have 4 2 TB drives.

I am wanting to set it up with RAID 10, however there is an option to set some of the unused disk for spanning. I’ve looked at the Western Digital Documentation and it talks about it, however it doesn’t explain what are the pros/cons of spanning those disks. Can anyone here offer more information?

Also once I do a dry run thru those menus, it says the disks won’t auto-mount? Will there be a problem with this?

thanks

Hi,

I haven’t try this setup yet. Let’s see if any of the users can share some information about the pros/cons of spanning those disks.

I still haven’t heard anything back on this.

I’m also surprised that the Western Digital Documentation doesn’t have any documentation on this feature as well.

If I don’t hear anything back in a few days, I’m going to go ahead and set this up as RAID 10, not use the spanning and be done with it.

I just got a response from the Western Digital Tech Support.

They still haven’t answered the question. What is Spanning for RAID 10? What are the pros/cons of it?

This was the answer that I got:

there is no unused space for spanning

That’s it.

So I’ve opened another ticket…

Forget it. I’ve went ahead and formatted the RAID as RAID 5. I can’t wait any longer. I need to get my data backed up.

I’ve worked tech support and know that folks are looking for quick and accurate response. Also if there isn’t an answer available, then do the research.

So far I’ve been disappointed in Western Digital and their support for their products…