Adding Storage Capacity to a MyBook Live 2TB

help. 2TB MyBook Live is at 95% capacity. I would simply like to add more. This MyBook connects direct to router. But there are no more holes left in my router for another MyBook. How do I add another 4TB or 6TB device to my existing system? I do have an AmpedWireless upstairs that was reflashed as an AP300 (access point). can I move the 2tB to this AP and then connect the new MyBook to the prime router?

You do not need to have your unit attached to a particular section within your network in order to use it for local access as long as your local network is properly configured.

That said, you can not add more storage to your unit. 2TB is a physical limit since that’s the size of the internal hard drive within your WD My Book Live.

Hi Adam

let’s assume with holes you do meant the RJ45 network socket where your MyBook Live is plugges in via an ethernet cable.
If there are no more holes available, then you’ll have to make new ones.
But please do not start to drill holes in your devices. :wink:

Use a thing called switch to extend your network. Put the switch close to your router. Plug the old and new MyBook Live into the switch and use a short ethernet cable to connect the router and the switch. So you’ll need at least a switch with 3 ports for having 2 more devices.
On the market, there are 4,5,8,16,24,32, … port switches in different price ranges.
maybe have a look at netgear, tp-link, d-link, …

As Trancer mentioned before, you can not add new storrage to your MyBook Live 2TB but as you pointed out, you can buy additional MyBook Live XTB and use them all in parallel (with a switch).

Have fun with all your holes. :smiley:

Since the title of the thread is “Adding storage capacity to a MyBookLive 2TB”, I assumed he meant a USB “hole” as exists on, for instance, a MyCloud NAS. And since no such capability exists on a MBL, that option is out.

However, since he also mentioned his AmpedWireless device (which I gather is an Ethernet bridge, switch, or hub with an integrated WiFi access point), he probably is willing to get another NAS. At least I hope he is since that’s his only option.

So Adam, if I’ve interpreted your comments correctly, and if I understand the AmpedWireless device, yes, you probably can use it as the Ethernet switch that Theodor mentioned. On the other hand, gigabit Ethernet switches are inexpensive. You might want to get one just to be able to keep your new NAS near the old one rather than “upstairs”.

Well I was not shure to add another statement, as everything is already asked and answered above! But in this case I can not resist :wink::
I always try to assume the best not the worst posibility if there is some open clues.
In this case I ignored the headline as the text stated:

what can we get out of this statement?

1. holes in router, connected to MyBook Live
    (as it has no USB my assumption of RJ45 was the best one, yours adding the posibility of a non existing USB is somehow the worst one) :wink:

2. willing to add another MyBook (my assumption he is meaning a Live/Cloud with similar RJ45 connection is not my best one, as it should be pluged into the router, similar to the one already in use, here to go back to MyBook Live extension via USB is again the worst assumpition)

@Adam:
Sorry I could have been a bit more clear what you can do. Buy the following:
1 x switch (GB-switch prefered, minimum 3 Ports)
3 x short ethernet patch cables
1 x NAS Storage of your need and liking (MyBook Live 4/6/8/10 TB) :wink:

@All other readers:
please excuse this post as it has absolutely nothing to add to the already answered problem. :smiley:

you guys are classic. thanks for interpreting my layman lingo into something I can use. To be clear I offer the following as I know it ending with one question. and thanks again, this dialogue has been extremely helpful. Too bad the MicroCenter guys couldn’t have offered same or similar.

1. Yes, I have a 2TB MyBook Live that is 95% full. It is connected to my Verizon FIOS router through some cable. I guess that is the Ethernet of RJ45 thingy you guys refer to. That takes up ONE of four holes in the router. It serves as my Z" drive and is where I store all my fotos and music keeping it off my desktop. after downloading W10, I think W10 recognized the MyBook and started an auto back up which is what took it from 1TB full to nearly 2TB full. I guess this set up (plugged in to router) makes it a NAS set up. This set up also has a ‘cloud’ function because I can access files on MyBook through an app on my fone.
  2. The router (I still call it a modem) has 4 holes in the back with these cable things going out to 1) MyBook Live 2) desk top 3) work laptop because that is more stable than wifi and 4) the Amped Wireless device upstairs.
  3. Holes. exactly, there are four holes and they are filled and I do not want to apply machinery that I don’t know how to handle to IT that I don’t know how to handle; that is, I wont be drilling any holes into my router or mybook live
  4. Adding Capacity; exactly, I do not want to add more memory to my 2TB MyBook, I want to add more memory to my ‘system’; my system being back up and storage for my desk top.
  5. Amped Wireless: yes, I bought this device to extend the WiFi in this 70 year old concrete, brick, home. But got word and help from Amped Wireless to ‘reflash’ it as an Access Point. It is upstairs and direct connected to the router with one of those cable things. I think a grade 5 - it is blue. The AP has a few holes in it. I have one of those cable things plugged in to it for a direct connect to the laptop when I take it upstairs. otherwise, it serves as a wifi point for the wife who connects to it with fone and tablet every night.
  6. I bought a 6TB Western Digital MyCloud - woohoo
  7. So…it looks like I have two options 1) move the 2TB upstairs to the Access Point. or sounds like the preferred option 2) buy the 1 x switch (GB-switch prefered, minimum 3 Ports), 3 x short ethernet patch cables and connect the 2TB and the 6TB to this GB Switch.

And the GB switch obviously to the Router??
QUESTION: if both devices are plugged in to the SAME hole, will the system read two devices for a 2TB Z drive and a 6TB X drive or will the system think there is one 8TB device?

It will be another drive. After you map it you will have two networked drives - your old 2TB Z drive and a new 6TB drive mapped to some other letter.

Hi adam_x_piceno,

yes, the switch extends your network like your access point does with more ethernet jacks and wifi.
Not knowing exactly how fast your ethernet on your router and access point is at the moment (10Mb, 100Mb, 1000Mb ?), my prefered setting in my Local Area Network (LAN) is to have a GB router with enough ports to handle all my data devices (PC, Notebook, NAS (your MyBook Live and Cloud) and one extra port to connect it to the router.
So the router is in charge to give every device an IP Adress and routes data connection to the WAN (Wide Area Network/Internet) from all your data devices.
For the internal access. PC, Notebook to NAS the data goes only trough your hopefully very fast switch.
(So don’t be shy to unplug and connect the cables in another order, it might improve your tranfer rate internally)

If you plug in your Cloud into the extended network, it might show in your W10 network view, but when clicking on that it will lead you to the dashboard of the device, there you’ll have to set up your shares (folders for your network access) and this share(s) you’ll have to map as a new drive with some letter left in your system (X if you like).
As pokeefe mentioned before.

Best luck with your new and powerful system. :slight_smile:

P…thanks so much for the help.

wish I had the smarts to implement what you describe; i’ll get the switch you recommend this weekend. the router I have is an upgraded Verizon FIOS and I don’t know what it does; it was supposed to give more WiFi power; the wife worked her magic with the Verizon people; thanks so much for this info.

Hello adam_x_piceno,

the best thing: you don’t need smarts to implement that,
the only thing you should be able to disconnect the ethernet cables and plug them in again.
If you do buy a standard switch with no super fancy features there is no need to configure that. Plug the switch in and the device will extend your network from the router.

Your router is connected tot he internet in some way and maybe some other stuff (USB, power, … ) so locate the cables for your local LAN and pull them out.

RJ45 – reconnect router with your access point
RJ45 – connect router with your switch (short cable ?)
RJ45 – connect MBL 2TB to your switch (short cable ?)
RJ45 – connect MyCloud to your switch (short cable ?)

And not the difficult part: The cables still flying around from your old system (PC, Notebook, …) …
RJ45 – plug them into your switch

In this scenario your would need a switch with a bit more ports (8port netgear might be around 60bucks)

So with that one you’ll have 8 Ports, 1 to router, 1 to MBL, 1 to Cloud, you‘ll have 5 ports free for PC, Notebook,
etc.

This devices will benefit from a fast switch to get the most of your fast NAS/Cloud devices.

If you have a network printer or stuff that is not dependend on that much transfer speed, plug it into your router.

Usually i would make the changes without power connected but RJ45 ports might have an LED indicator that signals you, when it’s plugged in correctly and flicker when there is data transver, so let the power on and see the light come alive. :wink:

After you have finished, you can always make a fresh start of your whole network system.

Best luck and happy fiddling around.

Have fun!

wow, do appreciate the time Theodore. I assume the RJ45 is the port or ‘hole’ in the router and the Ethernet is the cable connecting the router to the device. it sounds like you are saying that adding a ‘switch’ and plugging that into a port and then devices into the switch will improve performance, response, speed, etc. cool. I might be making a trip to MicroCenter today. thanks again

here again; you’ve talked about strength of router; I am sure I can dig around my Verizon profile to figure that out; is there an easy way? what are the two USB ports in the back of the router for?

Ethernet Cable does have two connectors, this connectors are RJ45 connectors.
Ask for cat 6 cables. :wink:

Speed, performance, responce is depending on the weakest link.
With the use of an GB-switch you assure that the weak link is not the switch.
On my system, my router happens to be the weak link, so I handle the internal traffic trough a fast switch. So your PCs can connect with the highest possible speed to your MyBook live and Cloud. In data tranfer my MBLs are maxed out now they are responsible for the speed at the end. :grinning:

Look in your data sheet and manual of your router.
Usually you can plug in USB storrage devices (sticks, hdds, …) and your router gives you access over your network (NAS), or usb-printers wich will become network accessable printers this way.
Sometimes you can also plug in a usb-datastick as a backup/fallback purpose. If somehow your DSL/Fibre connection get fried the router uses the dataplan as emergency backup. (neat thing) :wink:

I found the model number on the router; I have the Fios Quantum Gateway Router- G1100 and found it on Verizon. Ahh, interesting, connecting a printer to the router through the USB port, we would really benefit from that.

I have to go make breakfast for the kid but one last question. with the stone walls and placement of router and all the turns in the house, we don’t get best WiFi for streaming from the laptop when in front of the TV; we connect the laptop to the TV with an HD cable which is cool; a Verizon guy told us we could buy some connector/switch/extender thingy that connects to the cable box and then can be used as a router to direct connect the laptop…for better streaming. have any idea what that thing is called. ok, thanks again theoror_karillion

Fios Quantum Gateway Router- G1100

looking pretty! :wink:

Its a Router with 4 x 1000Mbps ports => hence 4 x Gbit ethernet Ports.

Plug the cables into your switch and router and have fun with it. :wink:

WiFi and streaming.
Still some use for good old cables from one device to another. :wink:

Hi Theodore; good happy tday to you. wanted to carry on our jovial chatting.

1. haven’t set up the new MyCloud cause I haven’t been to MicroCenter yet. I spent last Saturday moving leaves. and I mean 5 solid hours of it. such a nice day blown on leaf blowing. had the whole day with the daughter and didn’t get to spend time with her. oh well, such is the life of a homeowner.
  2. the wife called Verizon and discovered that the USB ports on ur $3T router are INACTIVE! can you friggin believe it! so, no, we can’t use those ports to plug our printer into to create a network printer. what a friggin crock!
  3. this we discovered after I attached the printer to test it; in the meantime, I must have toggled this or that or the other and lost the MyBook as a Z: drive and I have no idea how to reset that.
  4. I am an IT ■■■■■, really. I bought the MyBook to prevent loss of fotos resulting from hard drive crashes every 18 mths. fixed that finally by buying a new computer. that computer is now haunted regularly by Windows 10. Ugh, I hate this system.
  5. I discovered this morning that the ‘homegroup’ that I am certain in had set up once - now does NOT exist.
  6. What I need is some smart IT dude to come to my house for a few hours, set it all up right and let me give him a buck or two and a six pack of pabst blue ribbon. because, really, I have no idea how I set up the MyCloud and were anything is being backed up to…IF it is being backed up.

again, happy thanksgiving to you if you do that. if not, happy throwback Thursday.

Good Morning; you were very helpful several months ago and thought I would ask another question RE MyCloud. ‘It sleeps too much”.

Have a 6TB MyCloud connected to a Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 (? Is this a router or a modem or what?). I have a DELL desktop running W10 although I purchased it with W7. Evertyhing is connected with E’net Cat6 cables.

The Cloud is constantly going off line or in to sleep mode. I have been on the fone and exchanging email with WD for several months now to include 6 fone calls and five hours and an hour remote in session this last Sat. They’ve had me turn off the sleep mode; we disconnected it from the GB switch and connected direct to the Gateway G1100; we replaced the ethernet Cat6 cable because they attributed the failures to that; I even disconnected ethernet from Dell and plugged Cloud direct, via e’net, to the DELL. In every case, after the Cloud is rebooted, it is visible in MS Explorer, I have access to files and have access to the Cloud dashboard on line. And the fone calls end. And then in every case, within 10-15 minutes of inactivity the Cloud goes silent, asleep, off line…essentially, not visible or functional.

WD now claims that there is something wrong with my network or router or router configuration. But wont provide possible configuration edits. And they have recommended that I take the Cloud to a friend’s or neighbors to test on their network. I bought it at MicroCenter and they won’t do that.

Any thoughts on how to keep this thing in wake mode?

PS: I was on the line with a TP-Link sat about another issue and he asked in my Quantum was a router or modem. I have no idea. I have Fios coax cable coming in from the street, connected to Gateway and then ethernet connected to my DELL for interent. What does that make the Gateway?

Thanks!!!

Adam X