Adding new folders to music on mycloud not recognised by Network music player

I have my music, a mixture of flac and ALAc files organised on the Public/music share. They are organised by Artist folder/LP Folder/trackj
I am streaming to a Cambridge Azure network player. Sometimes when I add a new LP Folder to an existing artist folder it does not appear to the network player or the apple app, though I can see it in mac Finder and even play the tracks using vlc on my iMac. I have tried rebooting the mycloud, rescanning and rebuilding the database to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Is this likely to be a Mycloud/twonky issue or a Cambridge issue?

Thanks

John

The My Cloud has a Rescan button for DLNA server. Click it. If that doesn’t help, then reboot My Cloud. If that doesn’t help then click Rebuild DLNA database.

And if that doesn’t work: ???

Ive done all 3 more than once, but I’ll have another go!

P80 of the user manual lists file formats supported by the DLNA server. ALAC is not listed.

Do you have any ALAC files visible? (the manual may not be correct: WD aren’t very knowledgeable about Twonky…).

You can see what Twonky has found, by using the media browser built in to its UI (available using a web broser at port 9000 of your MyCloud’s IP address). This should show you whether it’s a server or client problem.

Thanks - yes the ALAC files are showing on my network player. The files I have added that are not showing are .flac

I will attempt to access Twonky and report back

Regards

John

Twonky is fine with FLAC: my entire CD library is ripped to FLAC.

Yes most of my flac files are showing but the ones I have added recently are not.

Hmmm…

Any recent changes to FLAC encoder?
Did you use the same utility to rip/compress?

Which ‘view’ are you using? ‘By Folder’, or one of the metadata views (Artist, etc)? It could be that the metadata has been tagged incorrectly, if you’re using one of the metadata views. ‘By Folder’ looks at the physical file structure.

Thanks, I think you have found the problem.

I was using Artist/Album view but have used By Folder as you suggested and all my albums can be seen and played. Can I be cheeky and ask you to point me in the direction for help on how to edit the metadata, I am using a Mac.

Thanks again

John

Sorry, I don’t use a Mac, or iTunes, so I cant help. I’m sure googling “iTunes edit metadata” will find advice. Shout if youre using something other than iTunes.

You haven’t said where your music is coming from; whether it’s downloaded, or ripped. In both cases, metadata can be incorrect, although purchased downloads ought to be good. Using an online database to get metadata relies on the database being correct, and they frequently aren’t. Most rippers will preview the metadata they have found; I always check and correct before ripping.

Part of the problem, from what I understand, with iTunes is that it doesn’t actually embed some of the metadata into the media file rather it puts it into a separate database. There are various software programs to edit or add metadata to media files. There are ways to run the popular MP3Tag and MediaMonkey on the Mac OS to tag certain media files.

MP3Tab: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/mac-osx.html
MediaMonkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/browse/item/mac-osx-mediamonkey/

One possible way around this issue may be, for those media devices that support accessing an iTunes media server, is to copy the entire iTunes Library folder over to the My Cloud. One can do an internet search to find directions on how to move or copy the iTunes library to an NAS drive like the My Cloud.

Most was ripped as ALAC using iTunes. I then just dragged the iTunes / media / music folder to the Mycloud. I am reasonably sure the metadata which was pretty good on iTunes has migrated across OK. I have a few bought hd files which are fine. I have ripped a few cd’s to flac using VLC and also have some downloads of dubious source. I think it is these that don’t have the correct metadata. I am wondering if I can just copy the files with incorrect metadata and edit /add using a tool then re load them to the Mycloud. Or would I be better running the whole music folder through a tool, that seems a bit scary to me?

Most was ripped as ALAC using iTunes. I then just dragged the iTunes / media / music folder to the Mycloud. I am reasonably sure the metadata which was pretty good on iTunes has migrated across OK

I have looked at the programs you have suggested and also Kid3 - I am wondering if I can just copy the files with incorrect metadata and edit /add using one of them then re load them to the Mycloud. Or would I be better running the whole music folder through one of them though that seems a bit scary to me?

Thanks for your help

John

The choice is yours on how to edit the files. Each program works slightly different when dealing with a large number of files. I have found that I have to edit metadata tags the way I want them in my media before bringing them into iTunes.

Metadata is the bane of the digital music collector’s life. As I said, most rippers can be made to go off to a metadata database, such as freedb, and will get the metadata. But it’s often wrong, or simply not found. I started ripping before I was online, and used track details I’d entered manually over a period of twenty years, and persisted with manual entry, using a format I’d developed. I could type in the data into a simple text file in the time it took to rip a CD, and ran a scripting system that automatically renames the ripped files from a simple text file. I then used MediaMonkey to create metadata from the path and track names.

Finding incorrect metadata in a library is very hard.

If the filenames are correct, some tools will allow you to infer metadata from the file names and path (MediaMonkey is what I use for my library, running on a PC; it has very good filename parsing facilities: ‘Auto-Tag from Filename’).

If the filenames are incorrect, some tools will allow you to rename/move files based on the metadata. MediaMonkey does this with the ‘Auto-Organise from Tag’ tool. It uses the same versatile parsing tags to construct the new path.

The problem is finding the mismatch; ideally, you want something that will compare the tags with the path, and check that they are consistent. I’m not sure if MediaMonkey has this facility, though I’ve never looked… maybe I should… What I could do is ask MediaMonkey to do either Auto-Generate from Filename, or Auto-Organise from Tag, and it will highlight the changes it proposes. This should identify discrepancies in an otherwise consistent library.

But yes, I agree that running a tool on the entire library is a scary prospect; the preview that MM provides at least allows you to check that what it is going to do is sane. I’d assume that most media library tools, or tagging tools would behave similarly. The library tools also allow you to view all the available tags, and sort by tag, so you can find missing tags, or where the files came from (e.g. I instruct my ripping tool (Exact Audio Copy) to insert a comment tag, identifying EAC as the source, and the FLAC compression details).

You should be able to modify files directly on the MyCloud, provided you have mapped it into the Mac’s file system; then you can use it just like any locally-attached disk drive.

Editing metadata if you use iTunes as I do. I do all my editing right within iTunes and have for years. it has lots of tools for doing this. Lots of tips in the built-in/online help of iTunes and elsewhere. This is how I learned to do it.

I was happy using iTunes but when I got my network player I wanted to play higher res files that iTunes does not support

wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, its a lot to take in. I am reasonably sure that only a few files are affected so I think I’ll start with trying to re tag them first rather than anything more drastic on the whole library (or at least a copy of it)

I have also noticed that some playlists have been created (I can see them on the Cambridge app), they seem to be just the tracks of albums I have added recently, any idea how I can get rid of them?

Thanks

John

If you have ripped albums yourself, it’s quite common for the ripping tool to drop an album playlist into the rip directory.

To stop it appearing in media player views, you can either delete the .m3u/m3u8/wpl playlist file from the album folder, or move it into a subfolder (e.g. Riplog), and tell Twonky to ignore the Riplog directories. This is what I do. See the Twonky FAQ for details.

If you use iTunes to rip albums, I suspect iTunes also creates a playlist, but I don’t think it creates a playlist file; I think it creates a playlist within its database, and you’d have to delete that playlist through iTunes. But I don’t use iTunes, so I can’t help with that, or be sure that what I’ve said here is correct.

On the Windows iTunes when ripping CD’s no playlist is created. Rather I have to drag the ripped album to the left edge of the iTunes window where the Playlist dock slides out and lets me drop the album creating the Playlist, or I can right click on the album and select create playlist, or select Playlist from the menu and create a playlist either by selecting an album or by selecting tracks and drag them to the playlist doc area. As I understand it iTunes doesn’t create a physical playlist until I connect an iTunes device and sync the albums/playlists. Or I have to “export” the playlist via the File > Library > Export Playlist menu to a txt/m3u/m3u8/xml file.