Unknown song titles and albums on My Cloud Storage

I’m new to this so please excuse if this is a dumb question.

I’ve just purchased a cambridge audio stream magic 6 and I’m trying to set up a server to stream music. 

I’ve ripped all my music to 16 bit .wav files and am now trying to stream these using WD my cloud. 

However when i log on to the twonky folder view, access music via stream magic, phone, network player or WMP it shows all song titles as unknown and albums as unknow.

I’ve tested with an MP3 and it recognises the names so i’m guessing its the .wav file, but it worked when I streamed directly from my computer?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

You need to a software program (like MediaMonkey) to embed “metadata” to your WAV files.

The “metadata” is information like Track number, album name, genre, etc and which allows the media server (Twonkey Media Server on the WD My Cloud in this case) to parse and provide to the Cambridge Audio Stream magic 6 device.

Thanks, will mediamonkey be able to “tag” my existing files or will I have to re-rip?

I’ve downloaded but it still isn’t working. MediaMonkey doesn’t recognise the files either. However if you access the files through the ip address you can see the correct album names and song names etc??

MediaMonkey will tag all your files. If the files are sensibly named, in an obvious file hierarchy, e.g.

Album Artist/Album/Track# Title

it will happily ‘Auto-tag from filename’.

BUT before you do anything else, convert from WAV to FLAC (lossless compression), because 

1. it will save you about 40% space, while retaining perfect CD quality 

2. WAV is hopeless at storing metadata.

> I’ve downloaded but it still isn’t working. MediaMonkey doesn’t recognise the files either

You need to pull your music into MediaMonkey’s library.

1. Map the MyCloud to a network drive letter (see the MC user manual)

2. Start MediaMonkey, and press the ‘Ins’ key

3. Select the drive letter and location of your music folder on the MyCloud.

4. Sit back and watch as as MM imports your music.

5. When all your music is imported, use the ‘Location’ tree on the left to open the physical view of your library.

6. Select ‘All’, and you should see all your tracks listed in the centre window.

7. Click the mouse in the centre window and press ‘Ctrtl-A’ to select all tracks

8. Select menu ‘Tools/Convert Format’, and select FLAC output, compression factor 8

9. Select ‘compress to a different location’ and give it a location (just in case you do something wrong), and hit ‘okay’

10. Sit back for some time as it compresses your music to a parallel location.

11. Select ‘All’ in the left-hand window and press ‘Del’. Select ‘Remove from Library Only’. This will remove your WAVs from the library, without deleting them from disk

12. Press ‘Ins’, and enter the address you gave for the FLAC output, and hit ‘Okay’

13. MM will now import the FLAC files into its library

14. Click in the centre window and Ctrl-A. Right-click and select ‘Autotag from filename’

15. Select a suitable parse string e.g. ‘//<Track#:2> ’.

16. Sit back as MM infers metadata from the filenames.

I’ve assumed you have enough space on your drive to hold both WAV and FLAC, at least until you’re happy the FLAC conversion has worked.

I’ve also assumed you will ‘just do it’, but it may be prudent to try just one or two tracks to convince yourself you can drive MM correctly, and it will compress correctly; I had to convert it in situ (replacing originals). Considering the effort of ripping, it was quite a scary step, and I had to convince myself it would work.

Oh, one last thing, which, if you’ve bought a Cambridge Audio DAC, you probably won’t need telling: never, ever lose your lossless copy. If you have to compress to a lossy format for a mobile player, do it to a parallel directory and keep the lossless original.

Read this, too:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/FAQ-Twonky-DLNA-Media-Server-Setup-amp-Use/td-p/858810