Add third party app - e.g. couch potato, sonarr, headphones

This may be a silly question, but I’m wondering if anyone knows of a simple, non-SSH-involved way of installing things like Couch Potato, Sonarr, Sickrage, Headphones, etc. on a WD My Cloud EX2.

I was really hoping that I could just manually install an app through the Apps section in the Dashboard.

Can it be this easy or is it wishful thinking?

I have looked at the guides on here on how to install these but I’m not comfortable using SSH yet (I’m a bit green!) and hoping for an easier way. I note that many of those guides are old and maybe something has changed?

You have posted in the My Cloud forum, you will probably get your answer by posting this in the My Cloud EX2 forum.

Aah - sorry! Thanks

If you haven’t already done so you may want to read through the officially available third party apps for the EX2 at the following link. The link also explains how to add a third party app.

WD My Cloud EX2 - Do Even More (with Third-Party Apps)
http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=faqs&device=mcp2&faq=thirdParty

Thanks - I’m good with that…I just don’t know where to find the right file type to load up manually. Do you know what file type I need?

Officially the only third party apps you can load are linked to on the Apps page. To add an official third party app just follow the directions…

To add a third-party app:

1. Launch the WD My Cloud EX2 web interface. How do I do that?
  2. Click Apps.
    You might need to scroll right to display the Apps icon.
  3. Click the Add App icon at the bottom of the left pane.
  4. (Optional) Click the Details link to learn more about an app.
  5. Select the check box for an app and then click Install.
    After the installation is done, the app will display in the left pane.
  6. Select the app and click the Configuration URL to access it.

To install an unofficial app that someone has compiled, if one exists, you will need to search the EX2 subforum to see if such a compiled file exists and if there are instructions for installing it.

Officially the only third party apps you can load are linked to on the Apps page

The Apps page of the EX2 Dashboard, do you mean? Because I couldn’t see any links to apps on that Learning Centre page. I could see a list, but no links…

I think the question might be: what is the installation mechanism for apps on the EX2 platform. Are they .deb package files, for instance?

I suppose this thread really ought to move to the EX2 forum…

Yes I’m talking about the Dashboard > Apps page.