Access the content of WD TV Live from other computer

Hi guys,

I am just wondering, if I connected my Ext HD to WD TV Live to store movie, music, photos, etc… would I be able to access the content of those files  from other computer in the same network?

I would like to setup my home network  like a home NAS.

Please advice.

Cheers

Yep.

My Live has 2 hard drives attached… named “TV” and “Movies”.

They’re accessable on my PC in the Network as “\WDTVLIVE\Tv” and “\WDTVLIVE\Movies”.

They can also be mounted as network drives using WD’s “WD Discovery” tool and accessed like any other network drive.

Thx RoofingGuy for your reply…

Apart from accessing them, I also can copy, cut, paste, move, delete files from other computer, right?

Cheers

Yep.

You can even browse to the files on drives attached to the WDTV in the file requesters in your applications, and load the files in directly, without having to copy them to the PC first.

But yes, you get full access to the drives from Windows Explorer.

thanks again for ur quick response… appreciated…

Will go to the local store now…

The only thing that I can’t do with the WDTV Drives is display properties.   

If I want to know how much space is used or left on the WDTV live Plus  attached drive I have to open it highlighrt  all the entries, and request  properties.

It will tell me how many directories, how many files and   total size of highlighted files.  

I can subtract that from the size of the drive to get my tree space.

Oyher than this my Network can’t tell it from any other drive.

jlr

jlrippeth wrote:

The only thing that I can’t do with the WDTV Drives is display properties.   

If I want to know how much space is used or left on the WDTV live Plus  attached drive I have to open it highlighrt  all the entries, and request  properties.

If you use the WD Discovery tool to map the drives as Network Drives (or, presumably if you map them yourself manually) then the disk storage stats do show up:

Thanks,  Now I won’t have to take my shoes off to do the math.    

I never thought to look there.   I generally just right click and request properties.   and the WDTV was the only one that didn’t respond.

jlr

jlrippeth wrote:

Thanks,  Now I won’t have to take my shoes off to do the math.    

:smileyvery-happy:

Well, at least I know what happened to the CD that came with my Gen1… no wonder I couldn’t find it in any of my piles of discs.:dizzy_face:

I forget who pointed out to me that the Mapped Network Drives will show the free space, or I’d give them proper credit.  I’d never bothered mapping the drives before – I was just accessing them through their network names, and guessing how much space was left.

Edit:  It was Cocovanna and palavering