5TB Portable (2.5") comparison/specs?

I actually opened a ticket with WD to ask this and got a pretty bad cut and paste reply 11 days later with about zero useful information so I turn to the WD Forums!

I currently own a very old WD 1TB External and a newer 2TB My Passport Ultra. They’re both in perfect working condition as I only seldom use them for file/phone/system backup (Like once every 6mths. I know, terrible).

That said I have like 4 internal drives and backing up is turning into a headache trying to manage the space and two drives. The externals are also getting old and I’m worried about failures. I’d like to consolidate into one 5GB 2.5 (self powered) quality drive.

The question is, what are the exact specifications/differences between the WD 5TB 2.5" HDD externals? Specifically:

WD 5TB Elements Portable Storage USB 3.0 Model WDBU6Y0050BBK-WESN
WD 5TB My Passport Portable Storage USB 3.2 WDBPKJ0050BBK-WESN
WD 5TB My Passport Ultra Portable Storage USB-C WDBFTM0050BGD-CESN
WD Black 5TB P10 Game Drive Portable WDBA5G0050BBK-WESN

I’ll assume the Elements is the budget, Passport next tier, then the Ultra and Gaming. But has anyone ripped these apart? Noted specs and/or tested? Is there a thread I cannot find with all the gritty details?

The WD site provides next to zero actual info on the drives or the differences.

Things I care about:

• Quality hardware/drive
  • Capacity
  • Durability

Things I do not care about:

• Included software
  • Encryption
  • Formatting (as long as I can format to whatever I need)
  • Gaming interfaces or whatever.

I’d rather pay a few bucks more for a Gold/Enterprise level drive than end up with a ‘Green’ or ‘Blue’ drive. That said these are 2.5" drives and choices are slim.

Any help appreciated!

Hi @MisterKat009,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi Keerti,

The very first line of my initial post was:

I actually opened a ticket with WD to ask this and got a pretty bad cut and paste reply 11 days later with about zero useful information so I turn to the WD Forums!

…and then you…respond with a cut and paste reply asking if I’ve opened a support ticket. Not only repeating the mistake of the person who responded to my support ticket (cut and paste response with zero usable information), but also showing that you obviously didn’t even read my post.

Nice.

Anyway, can anyone please provide specifications for these drives? Read/write speeds, MTBF, error rates, work load ratings, read/unload cycle ratings, etc?

Alright, here’s what I was able to find, since I like talking to myself:

WD 5TB Elements Portable Storage USB 3.0 Model WDBU6Y0050BBK-WESN
WD 5TB My Passport Portable Storage USB 3.2 WDBPKJ0050BBK-WESN
WD 5TB My Passport Ultra Portable Storage USB-C WDBFTM0050BGD-CESN

The above use the SAME drives, model: WD50NDZW (that said, the Ultra is WD50NDZM-59A8KS1 wheras the Elements is WD50NMZW-11A8NS1 so, there might be slight circuit board differences, like for encryption)
They use SMR platters.
5400 RPM disk
128MB cache
Still hunting for other stats and ratings…

More on this here: What is Inside a WD Portable USB Drive - Cross Reference