500 - Internal Server Error

I can not tell you how sick I am of this 500 error. I reset the server with a factory restore and things were fine untill all of a sudden I went to access the server dashboard remotely and it gave me the error. I don’t see why since no one is using it but I got it

I can imagine.  But we are still working on it.

sxc7885 wrote:
I can not tell you how sick I am of this 500 error. I reset the server with a factory restore and things were fine untill all of a sudden I went to access the server dashboard remotely and it gave me the error. I don’t see why since no one is using it but I got it

did you happen to notice some out of ordinary activity on your device while it was letting you access the dashboard to look at the settings?

thereason I ask is to see if there was any high cpu activity going on for a while since that seems to cause http to fail, at least in some of the observed cases.

convert process, thumbnail generation etc. have been known to be some reasons of high activity leading to http server crash. so even if no one was accessing it but you, there might be processes running that could do the damage and cause access issues.

mee too

Did you get this error while in the middle of a large volume data transfer?

if yes, then it may be due to a known problem for which a solution is being developed, we are told.

for now you may try data transfer in small batches to keep things working.

When are we going to see some relief on this with a firmware update?

Ok, I don’t know why everyone seems to get these 500 errors, but add me to the list. Here’s a quick way I figured out how to get your Dashboard back until your drive is free enough for a reboot. I’m not real sure what’s causing it, but the problem is somehow the /usr/local/tmp/image.cfs file that is mounted as a read-only drive (/usr/local/modules) is somehow getting messed up in the folder where the important php sorce files are (/usr/local/modules/web/pages). 

So the lighttp-angel server uses the directory /var/www as HTML source, but inside that directory you’ll see a symlink named “web” that points to /usr/local/modules/web/pages. If you look in there you’ll probably see something like this when you do an “ls”:

/var/www # ls web

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/eula.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/get_XML_value.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/get_usb_info.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/home.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/index.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/myhome.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/open_file_select_Diag.php: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/supportDiag.html: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/wait.html: Input/output error

ls: /usr/local/modules/web/pages/wizardDiag.html: Input/output error

Copyright Info      WDLogo_16x16.ico    WebHelp.php         activeDiag.html     backups             css                 eula                images              js                  locale              php                 safepoints          shares              users

GNU Public License  WebHelp             _EULA.html          addons              cloud               dashboard.php       function            jquery              lib                 myHome              pic                 setting             storage

Note all the IO errors… There is nothing wrong with the /usr/local/tmp/image.cfs file itsef, only something wrong with the mount point (all of a sudden), at least for the folder holding the PHP files. So instead of unmounting the “broken” mount, I just made a directory named /1, remounted image.cfs there again, then re-linked the “web” symlink. Problem fixed for now…

/var/www # mkdir /1

/var/www # mount -o loop /usr/local/tmp/image.cfs /1

/var/www # rm web

/var/www # ln -s /1/web/pages web

/var/www # ls web

Copyright Info             WebHelp                    activeDiag.html            cloud                      eula                       get_XML_value.php          images                     js                         myHome                     php                        setting                    supportDiag.html           wizardDiag.html

GNU Public License         WebHelp.php                addons                     css                        eula.php                   get_usb_info.php           index.php                  lib                        myhome.php                 pic                        shares                     users

WDLogo_16x16.ico           _EULA.html                 backups                    dashboard.php              function                   home.php                   jquery                     locale                     open_file_select_Diag.php  safepoints                 storage                    wait.html

While this isn’t the proper solution, at least it’ll get your Dashboard back without having to wait for a reboot. 

As a side note (and a bit off topic for this thread), these 2 commands will get you back about 95% of your CPU headroom, plus increase the transfer rates from about 10MB/s up to 40-50MB/s:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

I still don’t think 50MB/s is all that fair on a true gigabit switched network, but it’s better than the 8-10MB/s I was getting while these processes were running. I do plan to run them when I’m not copying data, and hopefully they’ll create all the .wdmc folders everywhere that they’re attempting to make, then just stop. Since the init.d startup scripts are copied to /etc from a read-only filesystem, I haven’t put forth the effort of changing the read-only filesystem, as it should be replaced by the next firmware upgrade that I hope is soon :) 

You can also stop these 2 processes, but I noticed that notifier and dispatcher aren’t slowing down the CPU much, and I like to get messages and data, so I leave these running on my EX4: 

/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd stop

/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd stop

Western Digital!! Do we have any updates on when these far too comon problems will be addressed on your end? I spent extra money to get this here over night on Tuesday (not to mention the not-so-shabby MSRP), and I’ve basically spent most of the week getting it to a usable state, but I don’t think it’s very fair that I had to backwards engineer the product to get it to work, instead of just plugging it in and copying files.

pmbailey

We are working on this.  It is similar to the drop connection issue.  We haven’t dropped it or forgotten it.  We should have something soon.

I have upgraded to 1.02.25, the “500-Internal Server Error” happened everyday, when I transfered data from Imac to EX4. The only way was to unplug the power cord.

I think it was a mistake to buy WD MyCloudEX4.

How did you do the data transfer?

Did your data transfer abort as well or just the dashboard access raised error 500? Were you able to monitor the transfer while dashboard was unresponsive?

The biggest trouble is when data transfer aborts or you have no way to know the copy progress without access to dashboard.

I myself have stopped moving data into the Ex4 since its access to the already stored data is currently more important to me.

Hi guys, a useful thread as this error has occuerred a number of times with me.  I’d rather not TTY into the device and stop daemons - is there any update?

FWIW, I also understand the pain on this forum but I have migrated from a Seagate NAS to WD simply because the pain of ownership of that product, and the responsiveness of Seagate to issues was such a downer.  Oh and the WD is a much better media server than the Seagate.

skiwi wrote:

Hi guys, a useful thread as this error has occuerred a number of times with me.  I’d rather not TTY into the device and stop daemons - is there any update?

FWIW, I also understand the pain on this forum but I have migrated from a Seagate NAS to WD simply because the pain of ownership of that product, and the responsiveness of Seagate to issues was such a downer.  Oh and the WD is a much better media server than the Seagate.

We are working on the fix for this, and we will release it as soon as we can.

Thanks for listening and responding on the forthcoming fix.

Just set mine up today, 3 x 4TB WD RED NAS drives… Logged on and managed to update the firmware ok. The NAS rebooted and havn’t been able to log in again getting the message in this post. I can copy files and watch videos on the PS3 ok. I will see if rebooting it will sort it out after I finish copying my data over. Overall happy with the NAS but hope to get this sorted soon.

one of the drives failed seven hours in. Replaced today ok. Now recovering the raid volume.

Update for you all. I got a call from WD just now to see if i needed any assistance. Hows that for fantastic service! I never even logged a call for help. They do read this blog people! I seem to have the unit sorted. The firmware update looks to have fixed the dashboard issue? as I havn’t seen this error again. I will keep an eye on it and continue to log on during various states of NAS operation. The Dead HDD was replaced by Umart and seems to be working fine 24 hours later.

Once again thanks to WD for the call out of the blue. This is the kind of service that is above and beyond.

Thank You WD and good luck with your brilliant new products, I look forward to future new features for my EX4

Adrian

Adrian, what version of firmware are you referring to? i haven’t seen anything beyond .25 and the 500 error continues…

Thanks,

Stuart

Bill, do you have an ETA for the next firmware release to address this problem? This forum has been discussing it for months and I’m wondering how much of a priority this is for WD if nothing has been addressed yet…

Thanks,

Stuart

SIG2014 wrote:

Bill, do you have an ETA for the next firmware release to address this problem? This forum has been discussing it for months and I’m wondering how much of a priority this is for WD if nothing has been addressed yet…

Thanks,

Stuart

Not at this moment. I’ll look into it and see what’s up.  I do know that they are working on it, but I don’t know if they are in testing yet.

Is it just me?  We are all having major issues with this unit, and WD can not provide any definitive answers to what is going on to resolve the issues?  Not even sure if next release is in testing yet?  I am beginning to think that the whole company is being run by Indians.