500 - Internal Server Error

I’m getting the internal server error quite often running the latest firmware, so apparently the issue was not resolved.  This critical issue, unfortunately, is a deal breaker.  Rebooting is not an answer especially when I am not physically next to the NAS.  And when it happens while a backup is running, then all I can do is wait for the unit to go into standby mode indicating that the backup is complete.  But during this time, the unit is completely unusable.

I still have a few weeks before time runs out on the 30 day return policy, although I may not want to invest too much more time trying to get things to work and trying to copy my data to the NAS which is not going very well up to this point either.

Initially, mine would do that quite often and it seemed more prone to happen if I was logged in during a large transfer and CPU usage was spiked.

It has become far less frequent for me but has happened on occasion. Now that my CPU utilization troubles are solved it is has happened only once.

Not an answer for you nor am I suggesting it is okay - just sharing my experience.

• R

Thanks, RobStach, for posting your experience.  It helps to know that maybe the issue is not going to be a chronic issue as it may seem at this point given that I’ve only had the unit for a week and experience the error 3 times already.  I’m still putting it through its paces, and I should be able to decide if this issue is a deal breaker or not over the next couple of weeks.  WD is at least actively involved with their products where as other companies are not, so there is a level of confidence that things will get fixed.

while you were able to access the device, did you notice cpu spikes and the processes eating the cpu?it might be busy creating thumbnails of your images and the http process might be getting chocked out due to lack of cpu resource. for me, this has not happend in a while once the thumbnail process went out of the way and system has stabilized.

Just installed one of these yesterday and I am getting this 500 error.  The unit is installed remotely and I do not have easy access to it to restart it.  I am not sure what I can do at this point except hope that it starts responding again.  

John - no problem at all. I’ve been going strong with mine after the initial “hump” of the nas getting everything in order. No 500 errrors in quite some time (did I just jinx myself?)… :wink:

Anyway … yes, the initial period of everything getting sorted out, thumbnails created, and photo db created can definitely help the 500 error occur. Since my CPU has been able to relax, no problems. 

Is it perfect? Nope but now that everything has settled and the initial learning curve is over, I’m a happy camper.

Glad to share my experience with this device. It most definitely has a personality and when you understand it, things get easier.

• Rob

Just so you guys know, we did escalate the High CPU Usage/lockup issue.  We did think that this was related to that, but we are making sure this gets looked into as well.

Hi Bill -

Sorry I did not reply sooner, but my experience supports your high CPU assumption. Once the device “settled down” after creating thumbnails and indexes and whatever the heck else it’s doing, the 500 errors just stopped. And it hasn’t happened since.

It was very concerning when the device sat at 100% CPU for days and days. I also lost a HDD (already replaced via warranty) during this time.

While I might not consider this issue “solved”, I do think you’re on the right track. I look forward to the next firmware update.

Many thanks.

Yes, I guess that seems most probable cause since I was getting quite a number of 500 errors while at the same time noticing high cpu (but did not relate the two).

Now that the device cpu has normalized, have NOT seen any 500 errors lately for quite some time.

In the meantime, if there was a way to restart the http service via the ssh login, that would avoid a hard restart of the device when dashboard is inaccessible due to 500 error.

Hard restart sometimes means terminating expensive file transfers and starting over that could be avoided if http could be restarted via ssh session.

Thanks guys.  This is really a good piece of information.

It’s really great to see follow-up activity on this. Thanks for all of the effort.

I’m going on a couple of weeks of zero problems right now. The NAS is in standby more than it is not lately. CPU hovers around 0% with occasional blips to 100%. So - she stays asleep until asked to do something. It’s been good.

I do have a couple of MyBookLives and I decided to move their restore points over to the EX-4. I noticed that it goes back to sleep immediately after the transfer (which again, is nice). I’m guessing that the conversions that happened on the MBL devices were compatible with the EX4.

So - again. Low CPU utilzation, no 500 errors. 

Woowoo!

Well, I finannly joined the 500 club after all my other issues.  Im really not sure why I havent shipped this back with the RMA I already have…

Mine occured when trying to find a “faster” way to copy data from one drive to a new one installed.  I used the internal app and copied 1 500gb folder to another drive/share. (because opening 2 windows on a workstation only yields about 12MBs)

It went on for about 6hrs and then popped this error.  drive LEDs between these two drives are not interacting anymore, but I really dont have any confidence in where or how much of the data was copied.

Its probably also worth noteing that the GUI was sitting at “updating” from the folder copy for the duration of the 6hrs.  Only at the end, if thats what it was, did an error pop and ask me to log in to receive the 500 error. 

I mean t his thing cannot even exchange data between SATAs effeciently.  ~6hrs for <500gb of data, and now this!?

UPDATE: Regardless of the 500 error, I can access the two shares and see data in windows.  Not sure if it is 1to1 data, but something is there.

Drive lights have stabilized. (ie should be no activity)

GUI is still locked up and inaccessable.

Im worried if I should try to continue copying folders through the shares, or if having the GUI down will cause other data loss.

Has anyones GUI ever recovered on its own without a reset?

Anyone know/have experience toward if it is safe?

You would have to unplug the power and wait a while, then plug back in to gain access.

Unfortunately, that means your data copy that you started will be LOST.

You would not have any idea how much (or if at all) data was copied over.

I would suggest to use the Windows Explorer to copy the files where at least you can monitor it better or use robocopy.

That is till such time the next firmware provides a fix for this issue, hopefully.

I would suggest that you refrain from using internal apps for your data copy needs.

I have been burned and have given up already

I also joined the 500 club and have to say that this is one of the most annoying features that the server has been showing me it has. I am running into both the fact that the server is remote and I can’t always just restart the device because there are so many users on it. WD needs to really get this fixed ASAP otherwise when I start looking at the next NAS device I will not look at them for the options. 

While I am still a new NAS and personal cloud user I just don’t feel that it should involve so many issues, or demand so much from the owners. I just feel that it should just work.

I just purchased and fired up the EX4. I am getting the 500 Internal Sever Error as well. I have installed firmware 1.02.25, still get it. It seems to occur when I am backing up the EX4 data to my passport plugged into the USB3 port. In File Explorer I can see all of the files on the EX4 and on the passport. I can open them, tranfer files, etc. But the Dashboard is locked up tight with the 500 error. The only way out is to reboot the EX4. Then the dashboard works again. This really isn’t acceptable since I won’t be able to physically push the EX4 button when I am remote. Does WD have a time frame on a fix for this as I see others with the same issue? Sooner would be better.

If WD responds to the post, I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this on my end. Other than this issue the EX4 has good features. I am running two black 4tb drives in bays 1 and 2 at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

unfortunately, it has been observed that high rate of data transfer sometimes causes the http service to crash returning 500 error.

currently there is no fix other than hard restart of the device which is not always possible, even if you were at the location of Ex4 device, you may have file transfers and/or users accessing the device that cannot be interrupted.

If gaining access to the dashboard means losing the ability from being able to access data or worse losing the data copy half way through, it is not something that is acceptable.

1 Like

Randy9746 wrote:

I just purchased and fired up the EX4. I am getting the 500 Internal Sever Error as well. I have installed firmware 1.02.25, still get it. It seems to occur when I am backing up the EX4 data to my passport plugged into the USB3 port. In File Explorer I can see all of the files on the EX4 and on the passport. I can open them, tranfer files, etc. But the Dashboard is locked up tight with the 500 error. The only way out is to reboot the EX4. Then the dashboard works again. This really isn’t acceptable since I won’t be able to physically push the EX4 button when I am remote. Does WD have a time frame on a fix for this as I see others with the same issue? Sooner would be better.

If WD responds to the post, I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this on my end. Other than this issue the EX4 has good features. I am running two black 4tb drives in bays 1 and 2 at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

We are looking into this.  This may actually be similar to the disconnect issue.  But I’m waiting to find out more information.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you for your replies, At the direction of technical support, I reset to factory defaults (different than a reboot)  while the error was still present. The EX4 seems to be working OK for now, but I am continuing to run file updates and transfers to see if the 500 error arises again.

KK,

thanks for your comment. When I got the 500 error, it  is the case that I was in the process of large file transfers (100’s of GB) to my passport for backing up the EX4 for offline storage…just in case.

So while thus far the 500 error hasn’t reappeared (its only been one day), based on your comment it seems likely for it to return when I instiage large file transfers. Hopefully WD will come up with a fix for this soon.

Cheers.