3TB MyBook - Model Number WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN

3TB MyBook - Model Number WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN

If I use the WD provided software to backup my W7 32 or 64 bit system will it avoid the problem that the windows 7 backup restore utility has that creates the following error?
"The backup was not successful. The error is: One of the backup files could not be created. (0x8078002A)
or will I still need to reformat the drive?

Same question if I use the WD provided software to backup an XP system will that backup work properly or will it have the same problem ie require a reformat?

tks
don

This software only backs up select files it does not back the whole system up.
Joe

Thanks Joe. After I read the docs last night I was starting to come to that conclusion. So if I want to backup the entire system how can I proceed? I am hoping if I repartition the drive into smaller partitions then the windows system back up will work. I hope. Otherwise I made the wrong the purchase. I’d like to use it on a W7 and an XP system.

tks
Don

I should add that my planned usage of this drive is to just make a snapshot of the entire system HD including the system files so in event of a harddrive crash I could reinstall to a new HD in the system(s). I’ll only do this on a monthly basis so I don’t plan to use the WD backup drive regularly, so performace or storage efficiency is not an issue for me. The largest drive I’ll be backing up is only 500GB so smaller partitions on the backup drive is not an issue either.