2TB WD My Book Essential USB3+USB2

Hi :slight_smile:

i have a problem with my WD My Book Essential USB3+USB2 (formatted to NTFS), it doesn’t work on my Sony TV!

isn’t it USB3+USB2, is it?

i have another product which is 1TB WD Elements USB2 (formatted to NTFS) and it works fine on my Sony TV

please help me…

Thank you for reading.

When I first started reading your post, my thought was that Sony didn’t support NTFS, and was expecting FAT32 formatting, seeing as how that’s a common issue with consumer equipment.

But then I got to the part where you say the 1TB Elements does work with NTFS formatting.

So, that ruled that out.

But I still see 2 distinct possibilities:

• The My Book Essentials is simply incompatible, due to the Smartware/Unlocker VCD, whether it’s hidden or not.  Technically, WD says their external drives need to be connected to a computer and can’t be connected directly to other equipment, but this only seems to be an issue with the password-equipped drives.  The Elements drives and the Passport AV seem to not have the same recognition issue that the password equipped drives do.
  • The Sony will only read MBR drives and can not use GPT drives.  If that’s the case, since GPT is only required to go above 2TB, but isn’t required for 2TB itself, and 2TB is the upper limit for MBR, you may get the TV to recognize the drive if you re-format it as NTFS, but use MBR instead of GPT/GUID.

If re-formatting it as MBR doesn’t help, then it looks like the drive simply can’t be used with the TV due to the VCD for the unlocker bits and pieces.

MrScorpion wrote:

Hi :slight_smile:

i have a problem with my WD My Book Essential USB3+USB2 (formated to NTFS), it doesn’t work on my Sony TV!

isn’t it USB3+USB2, is it?

i have another product which is 1TB WD Elements USB2 (formated to NTFS) and it works fine on my Sony TV

please help me…

Thank you for reading.

Thank you RoofingGuy, i will try re-formatting it to NTFS, i hope it works :slight_smile:

did formatting the drive to ntfs mbr work?