New Release - Firmware Version 2.06.10 for WD TV Live Hub (5/17/11)

YasrKasem wrote:

Dear WD Dev Team,

what is this .miocrawler_cache folder for? and why its caching the images on it? its slow down the device and the connection to it which you and every one know how slow it is!

How can we stop the caching? and also what the other folder named console is for?

And if this folders are necessary for any reason so how much space it required to use? and please don’t tell me it required as much as I have images!

For other users, Is it really responsive interface (UI) or its only me feel its more slower than before!

Thanks

I’m not a WD developer, but all your questions are answered elsewhere (if you had searched…) so I’ll summarize for you.

miocrawler-cache:  Explained above.

console:   It’s a folder that the Hub will put CONSOLE DUMP files in before they’re uploaded via FTP to WD’s servers.   The folder is usually empty.  I assume you’ve never done that because you’d have to know how to generate a console dump.

The miocrawler-cache size will be dependant on the number of images you have on your Hub.

On my box, the cache is 1.3 Gbytes, representing thumbnails for 31 Gigabytes of photos.

@wdtvhub: Disable what? He said he is not sure is it related also others says its cache the images on the hard drive not the photo application! 

@TonyPh12345: I thought it’s a FW related issue no usual thing because I just found it after the upgrade.

Yes never made the dump before and thanks for the information.

Well its the only option you have, try disabling it, then do a cold reboot, if its not full of photos it works.

But not trying anything won’t make it any better. :slight_smile:

I updated my WD TV LIVE HUB release to 2:06:10 (5/17/11). Problem, the player sometimes found internal drive, it is hereby resolved. 1. After this update the player after they finish playing DVD files safeguarded restarts and this usually lasts 30 minutes. 2. Player does not find often in the media sharing computer network. 3. Player sometimes can not find the internal drive. 4. When playing HD content playback at the end of the movie stutters, the sound does not fit with the image. 5. Can not play right Some Blu-ray as Gladiator, Depeche Mode, and the Troja … Please, It must be taken into my player service Centre?

1. Strange behavior of Folder Lock function: if I set some folder (e.g. \WDTVLiveHub\Test filled with some media files) as “Default lock folder”, it disappears from Hub’s GUI and also from Hub’s network share (mapped to PC) when it is locked - this is OK.

But when I unlock it, it shows up again in Hub’s GUI (this is OK), but not also as a one of the folders on a PC (not OK). Previously locked folder is still missing on a PC even if I completely disable folder lock function, reboot Hub, power cycle it…

The only way to re-gain access to this folder from a PC, is changing “Default lock folder” to root of the Hub (\WDTVLiveHub), lock it and then unlock and disable folder lock function – at this point it shows up again on a PC.

With version 2.05.08 this was not the case, when folder was locked, it disappeared from Hub’s GUI and mapped share on a PC, when unlocked, it reappears instantly on both “locations” without need for any other action.

1. Internal drive formatting trough Disk manager sometimes hangs at “Formatting…” screen, WD LED stops flashing and nothing happens even after extended period of time. Unit needs to be unplugged, after reboot it takes long time to start up (3-4 minutes, instead less than a minute as usually). Problem can be repeated and it happens to me at least once every three to four retries. With version 2.05.08 this never happens.

2. LAN transfer speed (upload to Hub) is around 15% lower with version 2.06.10 as with version 2.05.08. Download speed from Hub to PC is the same as before. Tested with Hub in standby mode over 100Mb/s wired link: 1.) router’s LAN ports, 2.) additional switch and 3.) direct connection between PC and Hub – in each case is result (difference) the same. This is not much slower, but as Hub’s network performance is already somewhat on the lower side, for me it counts a lot.

3. Fan is louder (in standby and GUI) with 2.06.10 as with version 2.05.08. Maybe this coincides with lower network throughput and not so fluid responsiveness of the GUI as a result of higher CPU usage and/or higher current drain (and maybe HDD formatting problems as a consequence).

Also did switch between 2.05.08 and 2.06.10 back and forth several times, just to confirm that all this is somehow related to FW version and in my case I believe it is.

Anyhow, all those problems were gone when I rolled back to version 2.05.08.

Scenario:  Navigate to WDTVLiveHub from Win7 PC via the network listing in Windows explorer.  I have two main folders on the Hub: Kids and Grown-Ups

After upgrading to the recent firmware 2.06.10, I discovered that the Parental Locked folder (Grown-Ups) never appears when viewed from a PC.  Previously (2.05.08) it was absent only when Locked, which makes a fair amount of sense.   In the new firmware, even if the folder is Unlocked or the folder lock feature is disabled, the designated folder does not appear.  When Unlocked or Disabled, the folder DOES appear as expected when viewed from the Hub itself.

At this time, we don’t have pressing need for locking our PG and up movies (the kids aren’t old enough to go where they shouldn’t…yet); so as a workaround I created a new folder, Dummy, and designated it the ‘protected’ folder.  Even this did not cause the previously protected folder (Grown-Ups) to appear in the Win 7 network browser. 

Finally, I did a hard reboot (10-second power switch and remove plug) of the Hub.  Now both Kids and Grown-Ups appears and Dummy has disappeared.  Note that the protected folder option is still Disabled under the Security menu.  So Disabled and Unlock do not seem to have the desired effect on the network sharing of folders.

Hi

Here is my workaround for this problem, as described in another thread if you’re interested.

…Strange behavior of Folder Lock function: if I set some folder (e.g. \WDTVLiveHub\Test filled with some media files) as “Default lock folder”, it disappears from Hub’s GUI and also from Hub’s network share (mapped to PC) when it is locked - this is OK.

But when I unlock it, it shows up again in Hub’s GUI (this is OK), but not also as a one of the folders on a PC (not OK). Previously locked folder is still missing on a PC even if I completely disable folder lock function, reboot Hub, power cycle it…

The only way to re-gain access to this folder from a PC, is changing “Default lock folder” to root of the Hub (\WDTVLiveHub), lock it and then unlock and disable folder lock function – at this point it shows up again on a PC.

With version 2.05.08 this was not the case, when folder was locked, it disappeared from Hub’s GUI and mapped share on a PC, when unlocked, it reappears instantly on both “locations” without need for any other action…

had now many severe crashes with the flingo app. pretty random. sometimes instantly, sometimes after 30 minutes.

needs fixing.

Just discovered that I can no longer eject USB drives properly!

After I have selected to eject a USB drive, the hub does go back to main screen and the USB-drive is no longer selectable, but the led on the USB drive keeps flashing until I manually unplug it!

Problem is that the next time I connect the USB drive it won’t be recognized by the hub unless I restart it and let it do a new media library compile!

This happens with all my USB drives, does anybody have a clue what’s going on?

does anybody have a clue what’s going on?

Yes indeed. WD break one new thing, everytime they fix another.

I think its a miracle anyone can watch Movies now we have “Games”.

Soon the Hub will work great as a Toaster, but will be no use for anything else. :slight_smile:

Rrrrrrrr Rollback. You know it makes sense. :wink:

I haven’t had any troubles, and Netflix has not frozen.

l10rdr33f4 wrote:

I haven’t had any troubles, and Netflix has not frozen.

Same; this has been a solid release for me.  

The HD MKVs I’ve been playing work great, network and media server connections are fine and Netflix is streaming HD and 5.1 (where available) smoothly and without freezes.

I can’t sleep!!!  :cry:

The sound of the cooler fan (or HDD from inside of the hub, I don’t know…) is very persistent in my ears over the night. So please, fix this problem! If I choose to shut down the hub, then make it to SHUT IT DOWN (cut the power for fan and hdd).

If I want to stream or watch the movie, I will push the power button without any problem and after 10 - 15 minutes could enter in stand-by or something that could be usefull for streaming. But if I choose to close the box, make it dead please!

For the moment I am forced to unplug the device from the power every night… And this is not a very good solution for a respectfull brand like WD!

Hold the power button down on the remote for greater than 3 secs. That does totally switch it off.

If I want to stream or watch the movie, I will push the power button without any problem and after 10 - 15 minutes could enter in stand-by or something that could be usefull for streaming.

So how is it suppose to work if you switch it to standby ?

And surely if you are watching a film, its got to be louder than the fan…strange.

Thank you very much, this night I will finally sleep well…  :smiley:

Well, things were rolling along pretty good with this new firmware until just recently when it would randomly stop recognizing or playing ISO movie files on one of my USB drives.  It would pop up some message that it could not play and to refer to the user manual.  It would even do it on movie files I had played already.  Without warning, when I’d try to play them again it wouldn’t work.  I rolled back to 2.05.08 and everything is fine!  Go figure.  Obviously more broken firmware.  What good are games, when functionality isn’t right?  Forget the games and fix the firmware so it works!

donaf   Just a warning, some people had the same issue in 2.05.xx firmware.   So you may have to roll-back to 2.04.xx to avoid that issue…

Thanks TonyPh12345!  I used the 2.05.08 for a fair amount of time (about three weeks) before upgrading and that seemed to work fine for the most part.  I noticed other minor issues from time to time, but nothing like I encountered with this latest firmware.  It was the strangest thing to play an ISO file, then turn around and have the exact same ISO not work.  This was the first time I encountered this.  I’d been using the newest firmware for nearly a week with another USB drive and didn’t run into the issue until I attached one of my other “movie” drives.  However, once I rolled back to the previous version (2.05.08) everything ran like a top!

The other thing I noticed is when I hook up my USB drive after using it on the WD TV Live Hub (after deleting files, etc. using the Hub) Windows 7 always wants to scan the drive to try to fix it and usually says that it found lost files/folders and renamed them.  Seems like WD must have their own algorithms for managing file/folder structure that conflicts with what Windows 7 to considers valid.

If you ask me WD has a ways to go to get this firmware stable and to where it should be.

donaf wrote:

The other thing I noticed is when I hook up my USB drive after using it on the WD TV Live Hub (after deleting files, etc. using the Hub) Windows 7 always wants to scan the drive to try to fix it and usually says that it found lost files/folders and renamed them.

Do you “Eject” the drive before unplugging it/turning the Hub off?

i still use the Firmware prior to 2.05.08 and well i think its wiser to not upgrade, anyway there is nothing new, nothing fixed and i don’t need games, i need a good mediaplayer, for games i have a xbox360… So before i don’t see that all allready reported Bugs are fixed and also see that all People have no Problems like the one reported with 2.05.08 and now with 2.06.10 i will not update the Hub, i really don’t need broken Firmwares with useless ■■■■ added instead of bugs fixed!

1 Like