New Release - Firmware Version 2.06.10 for WD TV Live Hub (5/17/11)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Media Player.  

Please post your experiences here in this thread.  

1 Like

Looks good thank you.

edit - little hiccup there. Was at 2.05.08, went into upgrade part in settings, it found new firmware, downloaded and started doing stuff. never watched exactly.

Its now back at menu, with upgrade in menu, selected, and its downloaded again, its now saying restarting to upgrade, will see what happens…

Edit 2 - it said upgrading 1/2 then 2/2 now its rebooting…strange.

Edit 3 - yeah upgraded fine now. God the setup menus look dark now…haha

Edit 4 - another strange thing, its showing my full Share computer name which I now have to click into to get my shared folders/drives ?

1 Like

Just loading now … as per notes “If upgrading online from firmware less than 2.05.08, the online update will automatically update to 2.05.08 before upgrading to the currently released firmware” … which is what mine is currently doing .

Ok all done, and seems ok - as per release notes, new options for Picasa Web Albums, and WD Photos.

Also new Menu option for Games … 

All very nice, but will let you know if its stable for me ( or not ) when viewing content … 

I too was at 2.05.08 when it told that there was a new firmware update ready, so I said yes to let it update!

It downloaded the 2.06.10 update successfully and restarted the device, but everything was like before, no new services and a quick check in setup told me that it still was at version 2.05.08.

I tried restarting the device several times, but no new chances to update available, what’s going on?

EDIT 1:

Seems like the update broke the network connection to the hub and sadly it cannot detect the network anymore :cry:

EDIT 2:

I reset the hub back to factory defaults, reset my network and checked that the cables were OK(which I already knew), but still the hub is not able to detect and use network anymore, this is not good!

EDIT 3:

Downloaded firmware version 2.06.10 to usb and installed it manually, then I could connect to network again *phew*

@wdtvhub, thanks for the suggestion even though it was just a matter of rolling forward :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

Strange…I lost my Internet when it was doing stuff as well…

Ok now though…

Frillen

Try a rollback with a flash drive might sort it ?

I installed 2.06.10 with no problems so far (2hrs). The menus seem to be more responsive and Netflix is much more responsive. When scrolling through Netflix’s thumbnails, the response is much better.

The issue with the wireless keyboard directional keys not working in the search menus (Youtube, Tunein) still hasn’t been fixed yet. :cry: 

Other than that, nice work WD.

1 Like

first:

had the double update issue as well, without any network issues though

further:

mobile access seems like a nice idea.

flingo is much faster, but still crashes the device. powering off necessary.

btw. many naughty clips on several content providers. you might want to integrate a parental control there.

youtube and mediafly seem ok. youtube live would be welcome, if possible…

didn’t use facebook and the other widgets, nor games.

now the real issue here: installing games before adding advertised options like 5.1 pcm passthrough?

the priorities are messed up imho.

i seriously hope the firmware doesn’t get bloated with features, which might cause new issues 

1 Like

Hi.  I just read the release notes on the Product Update page.  Even though there is no mention, I just want to be sure and double check by asking, “Does this release contain Cinavia???”

Sony has RUINED the PS3 by including Cinavia in the firmware updates.  If WD ever does that, it is an utter shame and a deal breaker for me.

Soooo, I’m asking, does this release contain Cinavia???

If you don’t know what Cinavia is, check the Interwebs, or wikipedia.  It’s the electronic tool of the devil himself.

The WD Photos app (mine is iPhone 4g Verizon) is only showing  me 1 folder on my phone out of the 94 I have locally stored on the hub. It started showing me 1 pic in the folder but now it’s up to 15 photos (I have over 4,000 photos on the hub). I’m guessing they’re trickling in? But at this rate how long will it take? Oh well, I guess I’ll keep it running in the background and report back. Cool feature though. Activation was easy.

Facebook hasn’t crashed on me yet. That’s good!

gmorris,

The WDTV products are not licenced for decryption… AACS requires Cinavia for licencee BluRay players as of 2009… Sony is a licenced BluRay player.  Sony was legally obligated to add it – as were every other BR player manufacturer.

If WD was to apply for AACS licencing, they’d be legally obligated to add it, as well.

But, WDTVs can’t play AACS and CSS content… Cinavia blocks content that has had AACS removed.  So, if WD decided to add Cinavia, then no BR backups will play on it – it’s not even a matter of internet downloads and theater cams getting blocked.  I don’t see WD shooting themselves in the foot like that.

New games section on the home screen too!

The games are silly, but a darn (LOL)  good start! 

Angry Birds!  ANGRY BIRDS!!!  LOL 

It’s added another navigation level to the Video and Files sections.

Note to geeks … pressing more buttons to do the same thing is BAD!

yes…

Why show the shared folder level now ?  :angry:

Wow you look at the idea page with so many GOOD ideas and instead they give us crappy games.

The only good thing about this update is now i can use a 3 TB HDD.

1 Like

Agreed  ^

patatozor wrote:

yes…

Why show the shared folder level now ?  :angry:

My only hope is that they’re tailoring the firmware to allow, in the future, for you to connect to MULTIPLE servers at the same time, to allow for true aggregation.   Either that, or it’s a bug…  :)

Another look at the idea page and i noticed that a WD staff member has been replying with “Acknowledged” or “Not Planned” for most of the ideas. What the **bleep** does Acknowledge mean ? It seems like it means yea we hear you but we don’t care, we got your money.

There are some easy updates that would go along way:

-Stop sorting “The”

-Volume Control

-Custom Moviesheets

I’m not trying to be a jerk but get off your **bleep** WD.

1 Like

nath999 wrote:

What the **bleep** does Acknowledge mean ?

You could get off your own bleep and look on the main page (community.wdc.com) where there’s the “Idea Statuses explained here.” link. :wink:

It seems as if the statuses are not changed as often as they used to be, as the boards in general, and the Ideas sections in particular, get busier.

Originally, “Acknowledged” meant the idea had been passed along, but no decision whether to try to implement the idea or not had been made yet.  In the past, once a decision was made, it would get changed to “Unplanned” or “In Review”. (And then after review, would become either “Unplanned” or “Pending”… and then obviously “Implemented” when released in a firmware.)

I believe it’s been said numerous times that they’re trying to overhaul the whole Idea process, so it’s not overly surprising that newer ideas don’t get the intermediate Statuses added… it doesn’t mean the idea hasn’t been read.

Also, don’t forget that not all ideas are possible or practical.

After all, there was an “Idea” for Matroska Header Compression to be fixed on the Live Hub.  Even after Grant posted that it was fixed, and I clarified that it was fixed for the Live/Live Plus, but the Hub _ shipped _ with it working, the idea was still getting votes. :dizzy_face:  So, just because an Idea is getting votes, doesn’t automatically mean it’s something WD should be devoting time to. :wink: