New Release - Firmware Version 2.06.10 for WD TV Live Hub (5/17/11)

Now, how come the processor of the hub is fast enough to play games… and not implement the cover trickle effect…

and it seems that the live hub idea section should be discarded, if they aren’t going to implement a single thing from it.

OR maybe the live hub idea section is just a source of ideas for the next player?

1 Like

because games of the hub are very simple casual games with any graphic effects and also no interest to be added

firetix wrote:

Now, how come the processor of the hub is fast enough to play games… and not implement the cover trickle effect…

and it seems that the live hub idea section should be discarded, if they aren’t going to implement a single thing from it.

OR maybe the live hub idea section is just a source of ideas for the next player?

It’s interesting how people dismiss so quicky the fact that things in the ideas lab HAVE been implemented.

We’re just past the six month anniversary of the Live Hub, and 18 “ideas” are marked as IMPLEMENTED.

Parental Controls.

NetFlix Canada.

NetFlix SEARCH / 5.1 / Subtitltes (three different ideas)

Picasa

etc. etc.

Same story with the Live and Live+.

And as to whether the Ideas are used for FUTURE products?   Of COURSE they are.  Example:  NetFlix on the Live.   The hardware didn’t support it, same thing with BlockBuster.   Live+ was developed to add the required hardware decryption and DRM management.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

It’s interesting how people dismiss so quicky the fact that things in the ideas lab HAVE been implemented.

We’re just past the six month anniversary of the Live Hub, and 18 “ideas” are marked as IMPLEMENTED.

Parental Controls.

NetFlix Canada.

NetFlix SEARCH / 5.1 / Subtitltes (three different ideas)

Picasa

etc. etc.

Same story with the Live and Live+.

^^ Yeah, Picasa and GAMES - that’s the 1st I think of, when I read ‘TV Hub’ :neutral_face:

I would never ever think of abstract and silly things like a SIMPLE VOLUME CONTROL…

I really enjoy it to stand up several times a movie to adjust the volume on the active external 7.1 surround system in my bedroom.

My old boring low cost DVD player has volume controls on the remote - should have bought a really expensive one… maybe that wouldn’t have them?!? *iroOonic*

Once again no version for me - I’m staying with the 2.04.13 rollback and wait for useful & needed features and some more stability and safer update process (don’t wanna backup all my files before updating).

Maybe some time you listen to the needs of the community better (who said ‘games’?) and bring smaller, faster updates for stability and missing basic features… Games are good when everything else is just fine :wink:

1 Like

EXECdesign wrote:

…I would never ever think of abstract and silly things like a SIMPLE VOLUME CONTROL…

I really enjoy it to stand up several times a movie to adjust the volume on the active external 7.1 surround system in my bedroom.

This is a perfect example of an unreasonable idea for an existing product.

There’s NO possible way they can ADD VOLUME controls to the remote now.   The buttons don’t exist.   And a firmware update cannot make buttons appear on the remote, or even change the function of the existing buttons.  They might have that in a NEW model.

You’ve got this fancy 7.1 system in your bedroom yet you have to STAND UP to change the volume on it?  Did that system not come with its own remote control?

Now if you’re suggesting adding SOFTWARE volume control, that’s a whole different thing.  But that’s not the comparison you made. :wink:

Before updating new FW, I read users’ comments to make sure there are not too much problems.

It seems that we do not need to upgrade the new FW now if you don’t have 3T HDD, play simple games, watch photo on mobil devices…

I spoke too soon before testing everything out! How do I roll back to an older Firmware?

With this new firmware I go into YouTube, go to Search, start typing something, I get about 7 or 8 letters in and it goes HOME!

At first I thought I did something, but it did it EVERYTIME, so I know it’s not me mistakenly pressing a button.

I can’t find a way to roll back.

Instructions for rolling back your firmware:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center

Netflix Canada is now supported???  Didnt see that.

some of the suggestions would be easy to implement I’m sure.

NetFlix Canada was introduced in 2.05.x.

Tony…

99% of the stuff you mentioned is great if you are across that side of the water. In the UK we have none of that, now I don’t want any of that, so what’s my point…

Well how about being able to add one file and viewiing it, without having to press numerous buttons, pull cords, or whatever the Hub decides it needs to let me see a file, if I put a video on my Phone, I don’t have to do anything…

This is a media player apprently, all the stuff you mentioned is basically streaming…not impressed.

Why have my Share computer display now ?

When I read the bumpf about the media player it said download to your hard drive, err how am I doing that ?

Why cant I see my shares and USB drives at the same time…

Now how much of this is asking too much…Games…no thanks.

TonyPh12345 wrote: 

There’s NO possible way they can ADD VOLUME controls to the remote now.   The buttons don’t exist.   And a firmware update cannot make buttons appear on the remote, or even change the function of the existing buttons.  They might have that in a NEW model.

You’ve got this fancy 7.1 system in your bedroom yet you have to STAND UP to change the volume on it?  Did that system not come with its own remote control?

Now if you’re suggesting adding SOFTWARE volume control, that’s a whole different thing.  But that’s not the comparison you made. :wink:

i think of you as a very engaged contributor to this community, seriously.

but sometimes, rarely, you think too much along the company lines…

by selling consumer electronics for a while now i saw quite a lot of products,

most of which i actually didn’t want to see in the first place, but i’m digressing…

most mediaplayers, and previously optical mediaplayers, did use the up and down buttons as volume buttons.

most brands didn’t even care to mention that.

this isn’t too hard to implement.

now…

why would you call his system “fancy”? that was uncalled for, imho.

not wanting do dwell on a nonissue, just saying :slight_smile:

I installed the 2.6.10 from 1 hour ago so far so good, I’ll check the bugs later on but my main concern was the brightness levels. I’ll post my findings later on.

beatmaster wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote: …There’s NO possible way they can ADD VOLUME controls to the remote now.   The buttons don’t exist.   And a firmware update cannot make buttons appear on the remote, or even change the function of the existing buttons. …

i think of you as a very engaged contributor to this community, seriously.

but sometimes, rarely, you think too much along the company lines…

by selling consumer electronics for a while now i saw quite a lot of products,

most of which i actually didn’t want to see in the first place, but i’m digressing…

most mediaplayers, and previously optical mediaplayers, did use the up and down buttons as volume buttons.

most brands didn’t even care to mention that.

this isn’t too hard to implement.

now…

why would you call his system “fancy”? that was uncalled for, imho.

not wanting do dwell on a nonissue, just saying :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch, beatmaster!

@Tony:

Our satellite receiver remotes all have the same navigation cross as the WDTV hub remote has. Left/right for switching programmes, up/down for volume control.

Every button sends a unique signal to the box - and everything the box does then is a software thing.

A really ‘fancy’ example:

I’ve got a SIEMENS S670H DECT phone and an AVM router with DECT functionality. These 2 brands/models have nothing in common and are definitely not made for each other (AVM has its own phones for their routers: http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZFon/index.php ).

But what AVM did was a really fantastic reverse engeneering on most of the SIEMENS DECT phones (even models that are around 10 years old now!!) and integrated phone controlled router placed telephone books, phone controllable router placed multiple telephone-responders per device, missed calls lists from the router incl. callback function, router setup via phone and so on - _ what an amazing work!! _

… and now you come along and want to tell me “The buttons don’t exist.   And a firmware update cannot make buttons appear on the remote, or even change the function of the existing buttons.”…

^^you’re missing it. The button in fact DOES exist AND can be programmed differently within the different areas of the menues (because in fact it’s not the button that’s programmed, but the function that’s started, then the button is pressed).

So in fact there’s no reason why the WD crew doesn’t include volume controls.

(By the way: There are some more guys out here who badly want volume control… do they all have fancy hardware at home?? For business use that function can be important, too… like many others in the idea section).

1 Like

So, does the support for hard drives larger than 2TB include small arrays like the 4TB and 6TB WD Studio boxes? Or is it just for non-RAID single drives?

EXEC:  You missed my entire point.

On every DVD player I’ve ever seen, the remote’s volume controls control HARDWARE.   The are UNIVERSAL REMOTES, which are programmable with a coded ID so that when you press VOLUME buttons, you’re adjusting volume on your TV or AVR.  You’re not doing ANYTHING to the DVD player’s function at all.

I have NEVER seen a DVD player that actually modifies the volume of the signal that IT is outputing (in other words, a DVD player with its OWN volume logic.)

This is IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish with a FIRMWARE upgrade.   If the remote that was built was not built as a UNIVERSAL REMOTE (which it was NOT) then what I said is true.    It CANNOT be “fixed” with a firmware update, because it’s the REMOTE’S firmware that controls the remote, not the WDTV’s.

But then you missed my last statement:  “Now if you’re suggesting adding SOFTWARE volume control, that’s a whole different thing.  But that’s not the comparison you made.”

Sorry Tony but I have a DVD player which has a built in volume control.

Tony,

I assume he’s referring to a software such like the PS3 ,we can adjust also the volume from the controller, anyway I’m sure they can embed such request in the firmware and map the remote buttons to control the volume. I don’t think it’s a hard thing to do.

But guys aren’t we arguing in the wrong section? We should post the 2.6.10 feedbacks…

Regards,

It’s not necessarily “hard” to do… I (and some others) just see it as rather unnecessary.

The playback device should really just be sending things as-is… it should be the job of the playback system to adjust the volume of the standard-level audio signal.

If you start messing around with the audio levels that the WDTV is sending over Stereo, then you start getting distortion and clipping noise – and Passthrough is just that… Pass Through the read signal – not monkey around with it.  To change the volume of a DTS signal, you’d have to decode it, alter the levels and then re-encode it.  Besides the impracticality of it, since the output device will alter the levels anyways, I’m pretty sure DTS isn’t about to start letting devices that don’t have DTS encoding start re-encoding DTS signals.

I don’t doubt that the occasional player will now have this, but I’ve always been confused by it… broadcast equipment doesn’t mess with levels, consumer VHS players never messed with levels, most DVD players and BluRay players haven’t messed with levels.  And, as far as I can tell, BluRay players are supposed to decode the DTS and send it as discrete channels, not as untouched pass-through – that’s how they can do it.

I really don’t get why you spend hundreds on an AVR to try to get the best sound out of your home entertainment system, and then want an inexpensive SoC device sending wonky audio levels to it.

You’re still free to keep voting over in the ideas lab, but I don’t get why anyone would want this.