Would you get two clouds or one cloud and one USB my book?

Do you have monitorio.sh running on your gen2?

RAC

no idea, but my clouds do sleep, that is if you turn off “Cloud access”. I think with “Cloud Access” on and the scans stopped, the cloud does sleep but then I did something.

I do not see monitorio running but I do see the effects of the cloud going to sleep so I have to assume that Gen 1 and gen 2 must be similar and it has to be monitorio that is doing the job.

What indication do you get that it is sleeping?

RAC

the snore :stuck_out_tongue:

Over the years I would check that my clouds are sleeping by touching them gently and feel if they were vibrating, if they are sleeping they do not vibrate. Also I place my ears close to each of them checking for a hum of the hard drive motors.

Of course the last indicator is the slow blinking blue light…

I did finally see the blue light blink.

RAC

yup… the waiting was hard… and you tend to urge it on… come on sleep… go to sleep…

and then… you go YAY!!..

and then it stops blinking and once again it is steady… you go “NOooooooooo…”

but so far… without logs… I really don’t know how bad it is… and now… I don’t care… :stuck_out_tongue:

So I’ve taken Great_Scott’s advice and bought the WD 8TB My Book also and opened a safety deposit box at my bank :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, maybe not the safety deposit box, but I did order the My Book from Best Buy because it went on sale again -$30 plus -$20 for using Visa Checkout, thus in Canada I got the MyBook for $300.

I’m not really sure how this is going to work with what I have (2 clouds). Plus once I open the My Book box, I won’t be able to return the unit; although I can return one of the Clouds to Costco though since I have 90 days.

The thought is “I will cross that bridge when I get there” and the bridge arrives on Monday.

I know this is a personal thing and most likely I’ll do my own thing anyways, but I post up on this forum because we are all in the same Cloud boat and someone’s else ideas may resonate with my ideas; but not the safety deposit box thing as I know that is just a ploy by Great_Scott to get me to buy a USB drive.

Personally I think the additional USB 3 My Book is an overkill of backing up my data but I was thinking that I just back up the data to the USB and just tuck it away in my closet. Once a month or more, I’ll just drag it out and sync it from the computer to the cloud devices. After all, the My Book was on sale and it was really hard on passing it up since I am now committed on this route of a new Cloud and might as well as a new My Book too.

Thoughts?

Overall the plan sounds good… However, what happens if the house burns down?

I have a great idea for WD. How about offering us to house one of our clouds for a monthly fee. So we fill it up with data and send it to your WD Housing facility where it sits plugged in and is remotely accessible. We get to sync our data to our clouds which shouldn’t be too bad since we have already initialized it with a copy of our data and it is only the changes that we remotely sync to you.

So tonight, I suddenly realize that my dreams of running a rsync cron has been dashed. I had procrastinated too long. This was one of my projects that was on my to-do list with the gen1 clouds, rsync between the cloud and the attached USB drive. Now without a static linux in the new gen2, I’ll have to check into writing an app and that may or may not be possible depending on what toolkit is available to me.

Thus I’m saddened that I did procrastinated so long.

Now I need to find a better spot to hide my USB drive so that Great_scott doesn’t find it. oh wait… I have a locker in the basement… problem solved… on second thought, it is going into the locker where someone with a crowbar will just nip it out of the box and find all my data… never mind…

seriously thank you… and I was looking around… old eyes… you know…

Oh wow… I’m actually excited and yes perhaps the reason for a My Book is timely for me to write this app now…

Good luck using the developer.mycloud.com site.

RAC

is there is a tone in that post? It looks pretty straightforward… download this and this… follow this link for a hello world… :stuck_out_tongue:

So I guess you must have returned your gen2 cloud and won’t be joining me in writing apps.

Its gone. Let me know when you get hello world to work.

RAC

PS is the developer site for gen1 or gen2 devices?

1 Like

I would guess gen2 devices because I never noticed the app tab on the dashboard until I got the gen2 cloud. Let me know if you have an app tab section. You never know. Maybe it is for both…

I am a very burnt out programmer especially with all the stuff to learn these days and the jargon they create and use like the containers (which is basically a tar group of files I’m guessing). So I have to filter out and re-map the jargon to something that I’m familiar with. All I need is bash and rsync of which I’m guessing I can actually force it to install according to the “hello world” which also uses apt-get. then once I got that to work in a bash shell… then I stuff it into a container… ship it to my gen2 cloud and run … tada… yeah right… need to get directory input probably from a CGI web interface…

I’m just going to let this procrastinate for a while… maybe I’ll just connect the USB drive to my Macbook and run sync there…

I think bash is on the gen2. Just type bash. If I remember that is what I did.

RAC

yes and so is rsync, perhaps all I need to do is find how to add it to the cron on boot up, then I’m done :stuck_out_tongue: yay me!. I’ll procrastinate until WD 16TB cloud drive.

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.21986300/productID.335152400/parid.56796900/catid.67754200/categoryID.70260900/WDBWVZ0160JWT-NESN/My_Cloud_Mirror_Gen_2/Personal_Cloud

I found this after I returned the gen2. See if you can see the /dev/sda7 partition.

RAC

For WDMC Gen2:
“OS” stored in /boot/boot/uRamdisk (/dev/sda3) (Initial system) and image.cfs (Cifs compressed image, All other stuff).
All configs stored on different partition (/usr/local/config or /dev/sda7). And only this configs restored at reboot.
I find only one way to keep settings - SH script with all changes + Cron @ boot (from webgui).
Alternative - Chroot’ed Debian or full Debian / DSM / OMV. Check my threads for details.

Great_scott, is that the model you guys are sending me for all my years of great posts? Thank you. If you do send me that model (free) I will reconsider my procrastination :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually was eyeing that particular model but nobody sold it for cheap over here in Canada, plus I’m was waiting for Costco to sell them.

yeah nothing much usable in there except all the configs, caches, certificates, dhcp.conf, passwords webdav, bunch of logs that are identical to the other logs (empty) unless you turn on logging. We seem to have lost standby.conf which use to control how long before the drive slept.

It may be possible to store our scripts in here if it is a real disk area, but if we can execute a startup script then we can access the shares anyways; so persistent storage isn’t the problem. The problem is the ability to hook into the system as well as stopping services and restarting them with our own.

I think Busybox is a lost cause for hackers; it is what it is, If we don’t like it, we move on.