Would you get two clouds or one cloud and one USB my book?

yeah, I am still checking my file copy by using “Beyond Compare” to binary compare the old files on the old Cloud to the new files on the new Cloud, so I am still in the migration process.

But it got me to thinking…

Having two identical Clouds would be great but should I go back to having one cloud and one USB my Book?

If it was you? what choices would you make and why?

I have too much time on my hands because of the verification process that I go through each time I buy a new cloud allowing me to think about Clouds and stuff…

So what choices would you make? let me know…

Hi Raphael,

Why not do both? I personally have an EX4100 and an old WD Sentinel which together house the lions share of my data. Anything really valuable I put on a small (1TB) WD Passport drive and leave it (padded inside some cloth) in the safety deposit box in my bank. Once a month or so I drive over to the bank, get the drive, take it home and update it. The next day I lock it up again. This way if something happens - a major earthquake (We are in Southern California after all) for example - and the drives get damaged at least I have a backup of the really vital stuff somewhere it is less likely to be lost. This also helps prevent my data from being stolen as is always a possibility (if a remote one with some providers) when using online storage.

The rest of the data stored on the cloud/sentinel is largely replaceable or family have copies of etc.

1 Like

I had to chuckle about this recommendation after I noticed that you are WDStaff :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand that there must have been a bet on how many 4tb clouds Raphael might accumulate… just kidding… I know that wdstaff wouldn’t make jokes about their customers… right?

edit: update… @Great_Scottt yes I’ll do both… please send hard drives to…

When I decided to set up a private personal cloud rather than use services to backup: 2 Windows, 2 Linux, and a Mac I choose refurbished:

3 TB My Cloud
4 TB My Book

I didn’t see the need to have 2 MyClouds, and purchasing refurb directly from WD saved me a bundle.

• I completely blocked incoming Internet access at my router to MyCloud, additionally I disabled uPNP.
  • I purchased a gig switch to connect the MyCloud and computers to my WIFI router.
  • Initial computer backups are made connected, subsequent via WIFI
  • Initial Safepoint scheduled at 3am, subsequent scheduled the same
  • My Book is always connected to My Cloud via USB3
  • I have access to the pair anywhere in my house from any device!
  • The pair serve as a common data store for MAC, Windows, & Linux

One downside to this setup is a very remote possibility that a My Cloud failure will damage the My Book wiping out all my data.

1 Like

true so much more cost efficient I say; got some of my clouds used too!!

With the cloud waking up mysteriously this morning, I remember one of the reasons that I bought a USB drive to pair off with the cloud as backup. I wanted a device that I could backup my files and take away, much like what Great_Scott says of locking it up in a safety deposit box. Of course Great_Scott probably has a lot more money than I do because he can afford a safety deposit box, where-as all I can do is back up my files then put it away in my closet.

One of the nice things about a WD USB drive when connected to a cloud was the fact that it actually sleeps. It never woke up. It would sleep even when you access the cloud all day long. It would only wake up when you map the drive and access it and even then after 10 minutes of in-activity, it would go back to sleep. That is what a cloud should be like.

Anyways I am rambling… it is now time for deep thoughts… to keep or not to keep… that is the question…

I’m curious as to where the gen2 keeps its log information? On my dns-323 NAS which runs busybox. I can’t find any logs. But when you do a dmesg it does display information. I’ve downoaded the firmware and can look at the different files. But can’t see anything to indicate where the logs are kept. They should be in /var/log directory.

RAC
PS There has to be some way to display the logs.

Does the v2.x My Cloud Dashboard offer the ability, like the v3.x/v4.x My Cloud Dashboard, to export the logs via the Dashboard> Help > Support > Create and Save System Report > Create and Save?

That option creates a zipped file that contains several log files.

If that can be done. We then need to know what programs are used to collect the data. So that we can find out where they keep the log information. That way maybe the sleep.awk scripot could be fixed to work on a gen2 device.

RAC

I was actually thinking of that… export the log files… and dig through them like I did with gen1 :stuck_out_tongue:

but… as I said on my other post… I am tired… after waiting and watching my file compare working for the last 3 days and yay! when it was done at 4AM yesterday, I was happy to turn my computer off thinking I was going to disassemble my 4TB array today and start formatting my 4TB clouds for sale…

but now…

well… that was not too productive… I got the saved zipped file and it contains… exactly the same as what I found under /var/log

which has no wake up times anymore…

They stripped out the msg logs probably because the logs were filling up the ram drive. So possibly they turned it off in production mode and back on for debug mode.

So no more wake up logs…

Anyways… the device slept for exactly 3 hours and woke up again at 12:15. This was when I signed in, did a dump of the logs and looked around again.

Not great… 3 hour wake ups… At least my old 4TB slept through most nights…

so after yesterday fiasco where a connected USB to a Cloud with its scans turned off, would lock as soon as you access the Cloud via the cloud app, I’ve decided to keep both Clouds with one acting as the backup; I started the copy process yesterday night, from one cloud to the other. It will take just a little over 30 hours to copy 5TB of data.

The other thing that cinches my purchase is that Costco has sold out the 8TB Cloud models. When Costco sells out their stock, it may or may not return.

Thus since I’ve never had this type of configuration before where I can actually separate the Cloud from its backup, without having the USB drive tethered to the Cloud), it would be interesting to see how this might affect my workflow. I doubt there would be any differences as I still connect to both drives remotely, do a file compare and copy the changes. The only major difference would be the location of the backup drive.

I do have 90 days and if Costco offers a 8TB My book, I may change my mind since the USB access via the cloud is a blazing 80MB/s write and just a little over 100MB/s reads; this is amazing for the price.

Just found the log locations. They are still in /var/log/user.log. So have you tried the sleeptime.sh script on the gen2? It should work unless they store the monitorio.sh log info in a different log. Try
grep standby /var/log/user.log. If no entries try one of the other files located at /var/log.

RAC

yes, the user.log is still there, but there are no sleep/wake info in them.

There is a switch now that allows a greater detail logging, which I turned on yesterday and resulted in “no sleep at all” :open_mouth:

Subsequently I turned it back off, but then it was too late; the device never went back to sleep again, even with all the scans turned off, I even turned Cloud access off and sleep never came.

Each of these tests takes a large chunk out of my life. I make a change and I stand around for 11 minutes waiting for the device to fall asleep. The problem is that there is no lonerg a standby.conf file in etc, so I cannot change the length of time to 5 minutes.

Monitorio.sh is still in the /usr/local/sbin but there is no way to start and stop the process since /etc/init.d/ does not have the monitorio start stop file. are

The reason, I believe, that WD changed the output of the log files is that linux itself logs everything which causes log output problem as evident by the atop service which rotate log files if they too big into archives and deletes the older archives as the logs overfills.

I also suspect that log outputs are one of the main culprit of the drive not sleeping. Thus with gen2, all logging has been reduced to its bare minimum.

The funny thing is the four services that we find under /etc/init.d/ seems to be left there for us to find. It is as though the wd programmers wanted us to find them and to tease us on our ineffectual hacks as they keep restarting the services anyways as soon as we exit from ssh.

You can study all the source that you want Rac, but you really need a gen 2 device to feel the frustrations.

The monitorio.sh does log the exit from standby message. Not sure if there is an option to not log or that the log information goes into a different log. You could try grep standby /var/log/*.log

RAC

I did a grep on the root, looking for the logs :stuck_out_tongue:

anyways you don’t need to grep /var/log because there is only a handful of logs there and none of them has any sleep/wakeup info in them.

If the /var/log/user.log and /var/log/mycloud.log don’t have any standby messages. Then either the system didn’t sleep during the time that the current log has been opened or some how the monitorio.sh script is not writting to the log. If you look at the file /usr/local/sbin/multiStepConvertRAID.sh you can find where it has code to start and stop monitorio.sh. These commands seem to indicate that in /etc/init.d directory is the monitorio wdmcserver sciripts.

RAC

there are only a handful of start and stop scripts in /etc/init.d/, the ones that I mentioned above as if the WD programmers left only those four intentionally to tease us. Monitorio is not one of them. As much as you like to figure it out from the source, the reality is much different than what is implied.

The final run copy is basically a shell of what it is suppose to be.

Ok I’ve got a gen2 My Cloud. So far not a lot to look at. Noticed that monitorio is not running. So the disk will not sleep. Drive sleep is on. Will upgrade the firmware to see if it helps.

RAC

I am very excited to see what you can do… remember that if you cannot do it in script, there is also apps of which I intend to look into also when time permits. So do me proud Rac, I’m cheering for ya!