Wireless Keyboards?

There’s an echo in here  ,-) 

ClintonHammond wrote:

There’s an echo in here  ,-) 

lol yes, I see a theme developing.

Did some creative Googling and found a thread on this forum where someone confirms that the Rii works with the WD TV Live and Live Plus:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Does-the-Rii-Mini-Keyboard-work-with-WD-TV-LIVE/td-p/133048

External device support seems common to all units in the Live range, so it’s a fairly safe bet the Rii will work on the Live Hub.  Even so, purchase from a company with a good return policy (like Amazon) where possible.

Speaking of which, Amazon.com sell the Rii for $35, which is a lot cheaper than the “Si Touch” Sergecat linked to (almost half the price in fact).

These units, under various names, seem to be rebadged but otherwise identical.  I’d get whatever is cheapest in your region.

The confirmation mentions “newest version” of the Rii; try to determine if you are buying the latest model or old stock.

for the community’s benefit the Rii mini keyboard is not a good fit for the Live Hub. I have made it work with the live Hub unit but you have to stand less than 5 feet from the unit for it to work properly. typing while on the couch made it unusable.

I’m returning it. still looking for a portable backlit unit at a decent price.

1 Like

In found a zippy little “HP Wireless Mini Keyboard” at Staples for 30 bucks…

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06c/A1-329290-69998-329254-329254-4276118-4276269.html

Seems to work like a charm…

Is there anywhere I can find a chart of what keys might perform what functions?? 

For instance, I have yet to find a key on my keyboard that will “Exit” Netflix… 

That HP mini keyboard looks nice, good find!

Have you tried the Home button? I think it’d be FN-LeftArrow. That’s how I do it on my Logitech Wii keyboard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“FN-LeftArrow” does the trick indeed!  Nice one!!  Page Up and Down works for Previous and Next page…

Yeah, I’m LOVING how much faster the response time is on this keyboard VS the WD remote or even my Harmony remote…

Find anything that works as the other Hub specific keys, like the Options button yet?

How about subtitle?

Audio?

Setup?

:-) 

Options = CTRL-O
Setup = CTRL-S

No ideas about direct access to audio and subtitles yet! However, they are accessible via the Options menu during playback.

1 Like

When in doubt, I have everything mapped to my Harmony 720… But the more I can find on the keyboard, the happier I’ll be.

;-) 

Ah-ha!

Check out page 24 of the Live Hub manual (latest version).

Complete list of keyboard commands.

Subtitle = v
Audio = b

1 Like

Nice one!  Got a URL? 

This should be the direct link:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705046.pdf

If that doesn’t work, go here:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

Click the support link, then choose User Manual. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great find!  Now all we need is someone to code up a printable version, a chart, for those of us for whom every learning curve is a steep curve!  LOL 

Is there a keyboard shortcut for powering the WD on? I know about ctrl-p, but that only puts it to sleep.

1 Like

sinwack0 wrote

for the community’s benefit the Rii mini keyboard is not a good fit for the Live Hub. I have made it work with the live Hub unit but you have to stand less than 5 feet from the unit for it to work properly. typing while on the couch made it unusable.

Was it the Bluetooth model or 2.4 wireless? Anyone else have distance issues with the Rii either Bluetooth or Wireless?

Amazon specs list the range at “2.4GHz USB wireless receiver; works within 30M”. (Must be a typo, other listings state 10meters or 30 ft)

Rii wireless@Amazon for $35.00 US

Here  is a recent review on the VisionTek model 900335 Bluetooth stating a 40ft range.

Listings on Ebail range at about $30.00 US, cheaper for the model with track ball instead of pad. And they come in colors,

I have a wired mini keyboard now on a 20ft usb ext and I frakkin love how much better it works over the included remote, don’t get me wrong its an ok remote. I wonder if the dongle would work on the usb ext too, might suffer from line voltage drop or some such thing, as long as I could get 20 ft out of the dongle in the Live that would be fine.

Personallly I like the small size of the Bluetooth adapter but would prefer the wireless if it has better range.

I love the size and design of this item, the backlit keys are the huge selling point. The track pad/ball isn’t a huge deal since it doesn’t seem to have any function on the WD Live, either does the laser pointer, but my cat might like it, lol.

My one concern is the batteries, are they user replaceable, anyone crack one open to see the model of the batts?

But then again if the batteries last a couple of years then it will be within the WD Lives lifespan.

Well, I went and bought a Xenta keyboardfor £8.50 plus postage. It got great reviews by evryone at Amazon and Ebuyer. It arrived and seems to be a really well made sturty little thing. Great - plugged it in - and it just worked!

But next day it didnt. Changed batteries. Nothing. I know the keyboard still works because I plugged into a computer - perfect. But the WD willnot see it at all anymore.

Any ideas?

Ordered the Rii Wireless model in black from Amazon here in US, $31.00 free shipping.

Rii @ Amazon

Should arrive on the 12th or so, I like the nano USB wireless receiver as its so small.

Aready use Logitechs Unifying nano USB rec on my laptop for my mouse and Numpad for FPS games, and I have a Toshiba nano USB Bluetooth adapter on it as well that works great too.

Nano USB receivers are the bomb diggity, lol.

Update: Little more  research…the part number on Amazon matches this manufacturer.

Rii website specs on RT-MWK01

But Amazon listing shows Favi as manufacturer, here is a link to what seems to be their product.

Favi website specs.

Rii states a 30 meter range, Favi 10 meter.

Update 09/10/11

Keyboard works within a 15 foot range fine so far, I did have to change the channel because of interference, WD TV Live Plus  was locking up.

All the reviews I have saw looked like the unit had contoured keys, kinda like alot of cell phones do, mine are flat and shiny.

The unit came with a huge wifi dongle, not as pictured in the Amazon listing, at least twice as big. I was hoping it was going to be small and unobstrusive, but if it works better thats OK.

It comes with a USB cable to charge via port, apparently a power adapter is also availible and would more than likely charge the unit faster.

Looks like a company called Gomadic makes a rapid charger but its $20.00, OUCH!! Unit should have come with one.

Gomadic fast charger for Rii keyboard @ Amazon

More info later.

I’m using the IOGEAR GKM561RW4 very successfully.  Range is excellent from all angles and it’s a great keyboard to browse the internet on the tv as well with its laser trackball, scroll wheel and click buttons.  It’s about 50 bucks.

I initially wanted one of the mini keyboards but none of them had all the features in wanted.