Windows asking for drivers

ever since i updated to the latest firmware yesterday every time i turn my wdtv on windows starts its install drivers wizard and the tells me it cant find any does anybody know where i can find the drivers for download as ive searched the disc that came with it and had no joy there

That’s certainly odd.  The WDTV Live doesn’t HAVE drivers.   

I’m curious, too, why Windows is looking for them.  

1>  How is your WDTV hooked up to your network?

2>  Does Windows know the device name?  

3>  What version of Windows?

4>  What EXACTLY is WIndows saying when you turn it on?

its strange the support person just said reset it to factory settings which ive already tried but in answer to your question 1> it is connected to my router via ethernet cable ,my router is  a netgear dg834gt  

2> yes it sees it as wdtvlive

3> im am using vista

4 >windows says found new hardware ,searching for drivers then when it cant find them it asks whether i have a disc which obviously i dont i then it tells me that it wasnt installed properly .

I have just  updated the firmware also.

When looking in the network folder it shows as a portable MP3 sort of icon, right clicking had install at the top so I did and it then tried to load drivers as if it was new hardware.

Windows went of looking for drivers found none and ask for disk (no disk) it now say uninstall if right click icon.

Windows does say driver installion Failed

I love windows its wonderful.

I too have vista

mine has the mp3 icon as well

Can you still stream?

I’ve just watch you tube on it and get sofar in the video section then it seems to stall/ take to long looking so I give up.

I’ve passed this along to staff people.  I’ve not seen this before either.

I’ll have anoter look When the TV isn’t being used by others.

For what it’s worth.

The same tihing happened to me when I plugged my Windows Vista desktop on to my network. It recognized WDTVLIVE on the network and then asked for drivers. I shook my head because the WDTVLive does not require drives. I just ignored the messages and I am able to drag and drop files between an external USB hard drive attached to the the WDTVLive unit. Not a big deal, but strange. I did not try to map any drives on Vista and WDTVLive.

I also have Windows 7 (Professional 64-bit) and a MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard) and WDTVLive has never asked either of those computers for drivers. Both recognize the WDTVLive unit. I have never had problems moving files between the hard drive on the WDTVLive and those computers. 

If I ignor it on my system - Windows vista 64bit, nettwork shares wont show. They show on my other Vista 32bit system.

it all worked before (not shure if its the last update or the one before that).

I’ve noticed that if I restart my system, than fireup the WD live, and dont select anything on the popup box where windows wants to search for drivers - it works…

edit: photo from my computer device page:

Also did the firmware update and now Vista is asking for drivers.  I would love to be able to ignore the message, but in my Networking and Sharing Center, Vista now won’t draw a map of my entire network, because it claims either I have a bad router, or a device is taking too long to reply.  The router hasn’t changed, and every aspect of it works fine.  The only other change was the firmware update.  So now I can’t view my network map.  WD customer support was HORRIBLE until I was transferred to Level 2 support, which fixed the device not finding my media server, but the techie wasn’t able to advise on the network mapping issue with Vista.  (By the way, this was my second WD Live TV device.  The first one I purchased was a dud.  This is the replacement I can’t seem to set up.  I find Western Digital to be a very supportive company when it comes to pre-purchase questions, but post-purchase, well, that’s not really their focus.  They’ve already got my money, so why bother with the other stuff?  They have what they were after.)

I have the same question.  every time i turn my wdtv on windows starts its install drivers wizard and then tells me it cant find any…

ikhabarov wrote:

I have the same question.  every time i turn my wdtv on windows starts its install drivers wizard and then tells me it cant find any…

See here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Found-New-Hardware-prompt-on-Vista/td-p/18642

johngreenhow wrote:

Also did the firmware update and now Vista is asking for drivers.  I would love to be able to ignore the message, but in my Networking and Sharing Center, Vista now won’t draw a map of my entire network, because it claims either I have a bad router, or a device is taking too long to reply.  The router hasn’t changed, and every aspect of it works fine.  The only other change was the firmware update.  So now I can’t view my network map.  WD customer support was HORRIBLE until I was transferred to Level 2 support, which fixed the device not finding my media server, but the techie wasn’t able to advise on the network mapping issue with Vista.  (By the way, this was my second WD Live TV device.  The first one I purchased was a dud.  This is the replacement I can’t seem to set up.  I find Western Digital to be a very supportive company when it comes to pre-purchase questions, but post-purchase, well, that’s not really their focus.  They’ve already got my money, so why bother with the other stuff?  They have what they were after.)

You are cross-posting. I have already answered your other post.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Found-New-Hardware-prompt-on-Vista/td-p/18642

For me network mapping is fine. The WD live unit finds the Nettwork shares on my Windows Vista 32bit system, but NOT on my Windows Vista 64bit system.

The 32Bit system finds my 64bits system, my nettbook (XP) finds it, my XBox finds it, but the WD live dont and always makes my windows 64bit try to install drivers. 

Hi! I just installed the new firmware on my WD TV Live. Now whenever I start it up a pop up appears on my computer saying “Found New Hardware” when I choose “Locate and install driver software” it goes through the motions and returns with a message saying “Insert the disk that came with the device” after going thru the CD Rom it comes back with a message saying “Windows was unable to install your WD TV HD Live Media Player” 

What should I do?

thanks,

Sid

sjalan wrote:

Hi! I just installed the new firmware on my WD TV Live. Now whenever I start it up a pop up appears on my computer saying “Found New Hardware” when I choose “Locate and install driver software” it goes through the motions and returns with a message saying “Insert the disk that came with the device” after going thru the CD Rom it comes back with a message saying “Windows was unable to install your WD TV HD Live Media Player” 

What should I do?

thanks,

Sid

It appears that you just ignore it. There are no drivers needed for the WDTV so no point in looking for one.

see here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/windows-asking-for-drivers/m-p/17318#M5482

I’d love to ignore it, but apparently the device is preventing Vista from drawing a Network map in my Network and Sharing Center.  It says either I have a bad router, or a device on the network is taking too long to reply.  The router is fine, was fine, and hasn’t had any changes.  The device had just gone through a firmware update.  That’s when it all started.  But the device seems to work for most things.  It can find my media server on my laptop, for example.  But it can’t find any other shared device other than the two USB devices plugged directly into it.  Nothing on the network other than the media server.  Tech support wasn’t aware that there were any “driver” issues–operating systems requesting them, that is.  If I could get my network map back in Vista, that would be great.  But WD has already thrown up their hands and abdicated this aspect of post-purchase support.  Disappointing.

johngreenhow wrote:

I’d love to ignore it, but apparently the device is preventing Vista from drawing a Network map in my Network and Sharing Center.  It says either I have a bad router, or a device on the network is taking too long to reply.  The router is fine, was fine, and hasn’t had any changes.  The device had just gone through a firmware update.  That’s when it all started.  But the device seems to work for most things.  It can find my media server on my laptop, for example.  But it can’t find any other shared device other than the two USB devices plugged directly into it.  Nothing on the network other than the media server.  Tech support wasn’t aware that there were any “driver” issues–operating systems requesting them, that is.  If I could get my network map back in Vista, that would be great.  But WD has already thrown up their hands and abdicated this aspect of post-purchase support.  Disappointing.

When you have powered down the WDTV Live (unplugged it from the power supply) is the Network map OK.

You say that the device (I assume you mean the WDTV) has just gone through a firmware upgrade. 

If so:

reset via the side button with the unit on.

reset to factory defaults.

unplug the unit from the power for some minutes (not seconds)

(Do all 3 one after the other)

some info on your problem

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-computers-not-appearing-on-the-network-map

I went ahead and merged these two threads together, since they are dealing with the same issues.   I’ve also passed this along to staff for further investigation.