Windows 24H2 + WD = blue screens

Multiple users are having issues with constant blue screens since updating to Windows 24H2.

Users are seeing two errors in the even viewer.
stornvme and The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1 or 2.

Please report back if you also suffer from this issue since updating to 24H2 and what motherboard, BIOS, WD SSD and WD firmware you are using.

Update: while we still have no official answer neither from WD or MS, there is a workaround!
Thank you @nissel!

1. Download this registry file: Windows 11 Reg fix for SN770, SN580 (and other) HMB force to 64M · GitHub (right click on raw > save link as)
  2. Find it in your download folder and double click on it, accept the couple of warnings.
  3. Reboot

This will create two registry entries.

If you want to remove them again, delete them by hand or use this:

Registry file to remove the HMB policy entries · GitHub

Apparently for some devices it is enough to just disable HBM.

Windows Registry disable HMB · GitHub

6 Likes

Asus PRIME Z790-P for both BIOS 1663 and 1666.
WD SN770 2TB drive with latest firmware (731120WD).

I experience this issues on multiple PCs with SN770.
Rolled back one machine to 23H2 and no BOSD.

1 Like

WD SN770 2TB drive with latest firmware.
ASUS TUF GAMING B650M-PLUS WIFI BIOS 3040
Win 11 24H2

1 Like

WD SN580 2TB latest firmware.
B650 Gaming X latest BIOS.
Windows 11 24H2 - BSODS
Windows 11 23H2 - No BSODS.

2 Likes

Windows 11 occasionally freezes up for several seconds then crashes on the login screen after starting up, usually with “Critical Process Has Died” though I’ve also noticed “Kernel Data Inpage Error” sometimes. If it doesn’t crash right away then it’s usually fine afterwards, though I’ll still occasionally get crashes after a while. No dump file is created, but event viewer almost always shows a “The driver detected a controller error on” error right at the time it freezes.

The issue started after doing a fresh install from 23H2 to 24H2, and I had also updated from BIOS 1802 right before doing so. It happened both before and after updating the SSD to the latest firmware. Leaving all the other drivers on whatever Windows Update chooses to install or manually updating them from the manufacturer’s website seems to have no effect.

Motherboard: Asus Prime B760M-A AX (BIOS 1666)
CPU: Intel i5-13500
GPU: Asus Dual 4060ti 16GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB
Storage: WD_Black SN770 2TB (Firmware 731120WD)

1 Like

I got first blue screens starting around 2024-10-04.

Windows updates
2024-10-02 / 24H2
2024-10-04 / KB5043178
even more updates after blue screens started

Always same event when crashing:

• ID 11 stornvme \Device\RaidPort1

Installed WD Dashboard and latest SSD firmware but did not help. MemTest86 passed without errors. Blue screen happens randomly. Sometimes even right after a reboot. Opening device-manager reliably causes BSOD. The only hint I have is the error event.

• WD Blue SN580 NVMe SSD 2TB
  • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
  • MSI PRO B650-S WIFI (MS-7E26)
  • Palit RTX 4080 SUPER
  • 2x16 GB PC6000 Kingston Fury Beast

(Rollback to 23H2 looks good - at least no BSOD when opening device-manager - but needs more testing)

2 Likes

Same issue here after trying to update to 24H2 using Windows update assistant.

Gigabyte X670 GAMING X AX V2 (F30 BIOS)
WD Blue SN580 2TB (Firmware: 281040WD)

Only 24H2 has this issue. Rolling back to 23H2 resolves it. I have also found similar driver errors in my event viewer:
“The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2.”

2 Likes

I have the same issues as described above with my WD SN770 2TB. Got a new PC with windows 11 24H2. The quotes below describe exactly what happens to me.

Windows 11 occasionally freezes up for several seconds then crashes on the login screen after starting up

The crash is preceded by stornvme 11 error with the description “The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.” The crash and restart also happens after I start the pc, so that every time I start twice.

• WD SN770 2TB, M.2 2280 NVMe
  • Intel i5-14600K
  • MBI B760 X Gaming DDR5
  • DDR5 2x16 GB 6000 Kingston Fury Beast
  • RTX 4060-TI MSI
1 Like

Anyone with BSOD issue, can you please try to disable HMB?

Steps below

1. Open Registry Editor
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorPort
  3. Set HMBAllocationPolicy to 0. (If there is no HMBAllocationPolicy, create one as DWORD)
  4. Reboot

If system runs stable, I believe you need a repair installation afterwards.

1. Start Menu → Settings
  2. System → Recovery
  3. Click the repair button to “Use Windows Update to Repair Computer”

If disabling HMB solves the problem, it means WD needs to release a new firmware with correct HMB table. Current HMB table indicates the SSD prefers 200MB system memory as cache. But from the other source, it seems SN770 originally only advertise 64MB HMB.

And, too bad, SN770 datasheet is no longer on WD website. So, we need WD to clarify what is the correct HMB size for SN770.

3 Likes

I have tried setting HMBAllocationPolicy to 0. Seems to run better maybe.
SN770 2TB, firmware 731120WD.

Can try Phison NVMe Driver 1.5.0.0
or Micron NVMe driver v2.1.19.0 WHQL. Found some old threads and some users reported that this solved the problems with stornvme error.
I can’t test it because I reverted to 23h2.

I didn’t find the HMBAllocationPolicy there.

I installed the Micron NVMe driver v2.1.18.0 WHQL, and things got much better, but I’m still getting a BSOD issue (about 1 in every 30 restarts). The error The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1 no longer appears in the event logs, but the system still crashes sometimes.

My PC is new, and I’ve already scheduled an online support session with the supplier. Hopefully, that helps. They will probably replace my SSD with a new one from WD. If that doesn’t fix it, I’m considering refunding the whole computer.

It’s really frustrating to have to revert to Windows 23H2. I haven’t tried it yet, but I just got a new PC, and I can’t even install the latest version of Windows. I’m also seeing other errors and crashes without events, and I’m starting to think everything is just broken.

In regedit just right-click → new → dword to create HMBAllocationPolicy

Like this? Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Yes. :+1:

try Phison NVMe Driver 1.5.0.0

The difference between 23H2 and 24H2, is that 23H2 has some “policy limits” which only grants 64MB HMB for SN770.

mmexport1728516480714

But 24H2 grants the whole 200MB for SN770. If SSD firmware cannot handle the >64MB part, it will result write failure, and system file corrupt.

Did a brief search, SN580 is another model that requests 200MB HMB. Maybe that’s why some SN580 user saw similar problem.

The temporary solution is to disable HMB. And then, wait for WD delivering a firmware update with a correct HMB table.

1 Like

SN580 HMB size is 200 MB, which is more than the 64 MB that we’re typically seeing on DRAM-less SSDs.
Source: TechpowerUP

Then HMB shouldn’t be a problem for SN580, BUT I got the same bsods and event viewer errors as SN770 owners.

The SSD support 200MB HMB doesn’t mean the system allocates full 200MB to the SSD. The system can allocate only 64MB.

mmexport1728516472931

If you go back to 23H2, please check how much HMB the system really allocates.

Go to
http://vlo.name:3000/ssdtool/
And download NVME HMB info. Decompress and run in command line. Check how much HMB is actually allocated.

1 Like