Win 10 / WD Discovery drive letter changing at each reboot

Hi

Each time I restart my computer the My Cloud Home drive letter changes, so far it has gone through each letter of the alphabet from Z to R. Does anyone have an idea of how to make the system, whether it be win 10 or WD discovery, assign the same drive letter to My Cloud Home at each restart?

Thanks in advance.

JW

1 Like

Hello John9447,

You can try mapping the My Cloud Home User Space by following the steps given below.

1.) Open Run.
2.) type \MYCLOUD-XXXXXX (Replace X with the last 6 characters with the My Cloud Home serial number).
3.) Click OK.
4.) Click Finish.

If it won’t resolve the issue. It is recommended to try installing the WD Discovery on different computer and login to check if it replaces the drive letter everytime after each restart of the computer.

Hi Tech_Wanderer

Thank you for the information, appreciated.

I can see the user space, that has always worked, just cannot see the mapped drive space in Win Explorer but can see it in web browser.

I have tested WD Discovery on another computer and it appears to work fine so I can only assume there is an issue with Win 10 on my main computer.

Regards

JW

Same issue:

I have the WD Discovery software on my Windows 11 computer, so that I can access the files. Each time I reboot my computer, the software attaches MyCloud via a new network drive (see: screenshot below)

This is a problem because I have software on my laptop that I need to point to MyCloud, and, this link then becomes broken after restart. I’ve reinstalled to no avail (per above). Any ideas?

Hi<

the only way I have found around this is if the WD Drive shows in explorer as the wrong drive letter at reboot then:

• Sign out of the WD Drive from WD discovery
  • Create and run the batch file:
    @echo off
    net use Z: /del (I use Z as that appears to be the normal default letter used)
  • Sign into the WD Drive from WD discovery

Perhaps not ideal but it works after a reboot.