Will not power up

I had this problem with my LiveHub previously, but then it seemed to work ok. Now tonight it again will not power up. The WD LED lights up briefly and the splash screen displays but only for a short time then it shuts down again. Sometimes it will blink for a while before shutting off. I have some other issues with it’s performance, but they are irrelevant if it won’t turn on!

Is this a common problem? Should I replace the unit?

Personally, i’d search the forum and have a read …

Kinda like here …

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/td-p/104158

1 Like

I did search but didn’t find it. Thank you for the lead. It sounds like a RMA is in order.

Here is a little more of my story. Some of the details make more sense after reading the thread you posted. I got the LiveHub on a daily special from Best Buy. I was surprised to see that the warranty had expired over a year ago. I had to email WD copies of the invoice and packing slip before they would extend the warranty for me. Then I started having the problem with it shutting down and being difficult to start up. As in the old thread, it starts to come on, then the WD light goes off, then it blinks about ten times and quits.

The answer to my initial query to WD tech service was that I shouldn’t plug the power supply into a power strip but directly into a wall outlet. I did that and it did help for a while. I used the LH off and on for maybe two weeks before it quit again. This time I have not been able to get it started again.

According to the above thread, I can probably solve the problem by opening the case and unplugging the power switch circiut board. I would gladly do this except I hesitate to jeopardize the warranty unneccesarily. I would like to replace it but there are some other problems with the unit’s functions and I cannot be confident that a replacment would be any better.

I plan to try for a replacement from BB before submitting to an RMA. What peeves me is that BB would sell as new a unit that is that old and that has documented problems. It also makes me mad that WD would not issue a hardware fix after two years. I have bought several WD drives in the past with good results so am especially disappointed with this experience.