Where is Remote Access button in fw 2.11.140?

Please tell me I’m not going crazy.

I’m trying to set up My Cloud as a remote backup on a remote LAN. As part of the instructions I’m supposed to turn on “remote access.” It’s supposed to be under Settings / Network / Remote Access - but it is not there.

Can anyone tell me how to turn this on?

My goal is to create a mirror of a WD My Cloud Mirror (already set up) in a second physical location.

Thanks for your help.

Look under Dashboard > Settings > General > Cloud Access. That’s where it is on v4.x firmware.

Bennor is correct, see page 54 of the User Manual, http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705147.pdf, then click on Cloud Access to make sure you are connected, see page 49. This is for Version 2.X.

cat0w
USA

Thank you both - I got that, but now have run into another problem. I am trying to backup My Cloud Mirror #1 on LAN #1 - to a My Cloud #2 on LAN #2. I almost got there today, but it kept asking for a remote password (when I was logged into #1 accessing #2 via port forwarding). It would not recognize the password and therefore couldn’t set up the “job.” I’ve gone back to the SSH settings and put in the password again (on My Cloud #2) - but is there something else I’m missing?

Explain that exactly. These devices do not support remote backups by default.

If you are trying to get remote access via the WD site and apps, yes, that is supported and documented on the manual.

The single bay My Cloud does not officially support backing up to a remote LAN. It only officially supports backing up to other locations on the local LAN.

There are several methods, using SSH where one might be able to configure the My Cloud for backup to a remote location but it is not officially supported. Do a forum search and you’ll find several threads discussing attempting remote backup. Note most of those thread deal with the older v4.x firmware My Cloud’s which are different then the newer v2.x My Clouds. Here are just two prior threads:

https://community.wd.com/t/help-new-customer-keeping-the-drive-at-another-location/161354

https://community.wd.com/t/automatic-backup-files-and-distant-bakcup/160633

Sorry - could have been more clear in my description.

I have a MY CLOUD MIRROR at one location and I want to use a second MY CLOUD at a second location to back up a folder within the original MY CLOUD MIRROR.

I’m attempting to do this by accessing the “remote backup” feature within the MY CLOUD MIRROR NAS. It appears to be set up exactly to do this - it’s an offsite backup of an onsite backup, if that makes sense. When I get to the remote backup, I’m able to log in, and to start setting up the “job.” So the MY CLOUD MIRROR is successfully communicating with the MY CLOUD.

It all seems to be fine except when I get to this screen and have to enter passwords, see screen capture:

When I attempt to choose the Destination Folder, it gives me this error:

I know I have to set the password in the offsite MY CLOUD device before I can set this job up - but I have tried and tried and can’t figure out what password I am getting wrong. I’ve created every password I can on that remote site, including the SSH password (and have entered them correctly) but it constantly refuses to connect. And since it’s off site, I can’t just run back to it every time I try to set it up. Does anyone know what password I am missing and how to create it?

Have you tried using the administrator login/password for the second My Cloud?

Edit to add: It is also possible if using a single bay My Cloud as the second My Cloud that the single bay My Cloud units do not support the method the My Cloud Mirror uses to access and backup remotely.

Further because your using the My Cloud Mirror you may want to post your question, if you have not done so already, to the My Cloud Mirror subforum where there may be others more knowledgeable. This subforum is generally for the single bay My Cloud units.

https://community.wd.com/c/personal-cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud-mirror

Besides asking on the correct forum, test it on the meantime by:

• ssh using CLI from source to destination.
  • if ssh works, test with rsync command or even scp
  • If both worked, but not the remote backup option inside the software, try to find out what protocol is using for the backup.

Thanks - this seems to be a problem with the setting on the MY CLOUD unit, and not the MIRROR…but can’t hurt to ask over there, as well.

I will try digging in further - but I’m already at the limit of my knowledge so the things you suggest are a bit over my head!

well, if you really want to backup it, my suggestions will work, assuming you opened ssh already at destination and also set DDNS to be accessible via the internet

Some info:

• Both devices you have are Linux machines
  • rsync is a command to mirror/copy/backup between Linux machines which runs over SSH
  • test rsync command until you find a command -options that work for you
  • script your command
  • schedule it as a cron job to run anytime you want.

Lots LOTS of info on rsync scripts and cron jobs out there on the internet.

If you want to learn, you have been guided on the right direction, the rest is up to you! :slight_smile:

My suspicion is that the single-bay MyCloud does not allow remote connections for backup, even though the MyCloud Mirror does. Both ends have to support the connection protocols to do this, and if one end doesn’t, it won’t work.

[edit] if you’re managing to connect the Mirror to the MyCloud, then my suspicion is obviously wrong…

Make sure the SSH User name is “root” not “sshd” as the screen capture you posted previously shows for the destination single bay My Cloud.

Make sure the SSH Password is the password for the “root” (i.e. the Administrator) account of the single bay My Cloud.

I was able to send a reboot command to my single bay My Cloud from my mobile phone data connection to the broadband IP address of my local network that had port 22 (the SSH port) forwarded to the single bay My Cloud.

Note: If using v4.x firmware for the single bay My Cloud’s one may be asked to change the default SSH root login password from “welc0me” to a different password upon first login.

Great - I will give this a try.

I’d be surprised if WD made what I’m attempting to do impossible - since it seems to be designed right into the OS.

@Josh,
Since you have now two NAS devices, my suggestion would be, get familiar to use the NAS devices for all your tasks, whatever that might be, without using WD’s software or any proprietary software for that matter. Long term it will benefit you, as you will be able to move/upgrade between any NAS without too much effort. Just about all NAS device regardless of brand are some light flavor of Linux. Learning to use the build-in tools within the OSs, will have a great advantages.

• internet browser for dashboard access (http://my-devce-ip)
  • Windows File Explorer for accessing or map the share: \\my-device-ip\
  • OS x Finder for accessing the share: Finder > Go > Connect to Server > smb://my-device-ip
    The above applies to just about any NAS from any vendor/brand.

You can also try it replacing my-device-ip by the name of the device.

If you learn to depend on the OS build-in tools, you will be efficient on any NAS.
For backup:
Windows build-in backup software and/or robocopy command
OS x, rsync and/or timemachine
Or any backup/sync app which works with network shares non vendor related.

[quote=“Josh, post:15, topic:162395, full:true”]
I’d be surprised if WD made what I’m attempting to do impossible - since it seems to be designed right into the OS.[/quote]
Note that there are differences between My Cloud versions and even differences between the single bay My Cloud model (gen 1 vs gen 2). While the My Cloud Mirror and more expensive My Cloud models may support certain features (like remote backup to another similar My Cloud and installing third party apps) the single bay My Cloud do not officially have those features/options.

Vertical product differentiation.

Just sayin’, like…