What's going on with the basic My Cloud?

The device is out of stock everywhere, WD, Amazon and best Buy are all out of stock of new units. Last night, Amazon site said more will arrive Feb 23, but today, that comment is deleted.

A possible new model coming, or is the Home now the entry level device?

it is…

The My Cloud Mirror is also discontinued, replaced by The My Cloud Home Mirror.

I noticed the lack of stock of My Cloud personal over Christmas which led to my flurry of EX2 purchases.

Yes, the EX series is now the first level true NAS and the PR series is top of line NAS. Too bad the “half-nas” Home series got such a lousy reception. Makes my discontinued DL series an ood duck after is was replaced by the PR units a few years ago.after only a year and a half on market.

So, wonder what’s next from WD?

Maybe WD just gave up on the single bay My Cloud line and are hoping the My Cloud Home will fill the void. Or maybe WD is coming out with a new single bay My Cloud model, a Gen 3 if you will that has different hardware and uses a different firmware naming structure, like say 1.x. :laughing:

Maybe the single bay market shrunk as more people have more media, data files etc and are buying bigger NAS devices. Plus, the demand for more data storage grows and processing power for 4K, etc grows.

Possible the market has changed. Perhaps the masses are moving to online true cloud based due to mobile devices. Or perhaps the single bay 8TB or less market simply isn’t worth their time anymore (not enough profit).

For what I use the My Cloud for it works just fine. Of course there are a number of issues with it, and I wish it had the ability to add third party modules like the muli bay units, but as a cheap NAS, that runs $40 to $60 USD more than the hard drive it contains it satisfies my needs for a low cost network NAS. I currently don’t use any of the remote access features on my unit and rarely use the remote access features on a family member’s single bay My Cloud unit.

Neither the size nor the profitability arguments make sense; they’re still selling the Home devices. They don’t seem bigger, or more profitable than the MyCloud.

The Home devices are selling to people who would have previously bought the basic My Cloud. There are plenty buying the EX and PR series for their features and benefits. The Home is a basic home NAS with none of the other features the previous My Clouds had They are pretty well stripped down, and those features and others are only found in the pricier NAS models.

It’s only stripped down in s/w; I don’t think there’s much difference in h/w.

And it’s not a NAS as we know it; even WD admit that.

People like simplicity.

It use to take weeks for people to discover that the My Cloud isn’t working the way they expect.

Now with a more basic functionality they can discover that the My Cloud isn’t working right out of the box.

I’ve heard that they even remove the LED on the new My Books so you don’t even know if the unit is on or not.

I think WD is trying to be like Apple, remove all features until it just doesn’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

I, too, have said “not a NAS like we know it” But, if it connects to a router/network, it is a NAS of sorts, but also like a HD that connects to network (not computer). No matter, it has no real guts for NAS. duties.as we know them.

I have a solution less severe than that! I ordered some LED peel/and/stick dimmers from www.lightdims.com that work well.

black tape, poke a pin hole or several pin holes is cheaper :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a real pain in the arse. The lightdims come in a regular letter envelope and are very cheap, a buck or two. Anyway, what’s a guy who said he bought some EX2s recently complaining about!

For you or anyone else who thinks this is too much to spend for the right materials, do what I did in the past; I cut off a small square of the sticky part of a Post-It and stick it over the LED so that the light from LED is covered and reduced in intensity. I did this years ago on the bedroom WDTV and the Post-Its are still stuck there!

actually all my christmas lights (things with LEDs) are out in the living room so they don’t really bother me, but sure I’ll check into those $3 led sunglasses.

p.s. I can actually turn off the EX2 LED lights unlike the My Cloud singles which does turn off the LEDs until it goes to sleep which turns them back on. However I will check into the light dims for my other LEDs.

Glad this is all settled!