What port is Mycloud application (IOS, PC, MAC) using to connect to the NAS

Hi all,

In spite of all the information available on this forum, I am still unable to get port forwarding to work properly.

From the NAS MyCloud set up app, port forwarding status is ok, but Mycloud apps on devices (pc, mac, IOS) outside my network cannot access the NAS. 

Hence my question: What port is Mycloud application (IOS, PC, MAC)  using to connect to the NAS. Knowing this will help me focus on the issue.

Best regards,

James

In ordinary conditions it will be using ports 80 and 443.

However, if you’re using UPnP (and I assume you are since if you were doing it manually, you would know because you set them) it could be any number of possible combinations.   But you should be able to look in your router to see what ports were assigned to the NAS.

HiTony,

I get your point about port 80 and 443.

The first time i set up prt forwarding, i mapped port 80 external address to internal address port 80 and same for port 443. Although i was getting port forwading OK form the wd mycloud set uo app, i could not access the NAS outside my network (Cellular and internet).

The second time, i set up prt forwarding, i mapped port 8080 external address to internal address port 80 and same for port 443. Although i was getting port forwading OK form the wd mycloud set uo app, i could not access the NAS outside my network (Cellular and internet).

i am confused about what prevents mycloud app from accessing the NAS from outside my network.

Help please!

James

Hi Tony,

I should have mentioned this in my previous post, my router is Apple airport extreme. This could potentially the problem (due to the lack of configurability).

James

Ok, so you configured port forwarding both in your ROUTER *and* the WD, right?  (Not completely clear from your description.)

See if this gets you anywhere:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshooting-Remote-Connectivity-Issues/m-p/617261#M1130

Yes, I configured port forwarding on both router and wd. I actually folllowed instructions from that post. 

When I test using my ip address:80, i get the correct acknowledgement, however when i test for my ip address:443, the browser report invalid address. 

JamesHK wrote:

…however when i test for my ip address:443, the browser report invalid address. 

I’m not sure what that means.   Can you post a screen shot of your browser window including that error message?

I finally solved my problem today. The cause was improper port forwarding on my airport extreme router. Port 443 was not forwarded correctly. I believe the wd mycloud apps are using this port to communicate with the device, hence the reason why I could not connect outside my network.

Now everything is fine.

Thanks for the help

James

JamesHK wrote:

I believe the wd mycloud apps are using this port to communicate with the device

No doubt.   It uses two ports – one for unencrypted access, the other for encrypted access.