What happens if hard drive os stolen?

Hello,

I have a simple (I think) doubt that I still haven’t found an answer:
Can I easily recover my data from the cloud if the drive is stolen?
What happens if the drive, after being stolenn, is formatted or something like that? Is the cloud backup also deleted?

Thank you!

I think you’re confusing the My Cloud™ with the Cloud … which are two different things.

The My Cloud™ is your own personal “Cloud” where you store your data on the internal hard drive which can accessed locally or remotely across the internet.

The “Cloud” is a service that stores your data on a Internet Server

The Data on your personal My Cloud™ is not backed up to “The Cloud”

1 Like

Simply put, you can’t. Unless you set it up, the drive won’t be backupped anywhere.

If you want to have it backed up to the cloud, there’s this extension app called Crowdstorage, which offers weekly backups up to 1 TB for free.
If you want to have the backup with you (on a secondary HDD, for example), you can set up a computer to automatically backup the My Cloud Home using a program like Cobian backup.

Thanks for the answers.

I was thinking about buying a WD My Cloud 4 TB to store all my family photos.
But what you’re telling me is that if the unit is broken (kids…) or stolen/lost (my main concern) I’ll never recover those photos?? I guess this My Cloud backup is mainly for easy access, then.

Paper photos last through generations. Computer files seem to me so temporary and fragile :stuck_out_tongue: