WDTV Live Plus Limited Public Beta 1.03.39_B (9/9/10)

I was able to upgrade by:

• Using a FAT32 formatted flash USB stuck into the side slot, not the back slot

• When it booted, it recognized that an upgrade was available, asked if I wanted to upgrade, and I said OK

From what I recall, that was pretty much it other than staring at “please do not turn off the upgrade completes”, or similar.

Certainly nothing trick and admittedly, I did not read the manual in full detail.  Once the 3 files were on the USB stick - I stuck it in did what it told.  RTFM I did not :frowning:

HTH - B

As for your DD5.1 issues, could you specify what filetype / container you’re using?

Not quite sure.  I use WinXdvd and have tinkered only a bit.

All I have learned is that when I use “AC3”, I get full DOlby 5.1.

If I use “MP3” of any type, I get ProLogic junk.

So - will run more “mini-ripping” tests and see what works.

Oh - I have a high quality MP4 which also does not output Dolby 5.1 - very disappointing…

On the good side - the rest of the unit is OK, and as for Netflix is is still a good value for me at $8.99.

So (fingers crossed) - a few upgrades from both parties and I’ll be in the pink !

• B

ccdalla wrote:

Okay…I’ve now bricked TWO HDTV Live Plusses trying to upgrade to this version of firmware.

The first one, I figured I screwed up the process by removing the drive before it was ready (like, after it erased the flash and rebooted, but before it actually finished writing the new firmware), so I took the heat and bought a new one, but now, the same thing has happened with my new unit.

Here’s what goes on:

I boot up the device while it’s working.

The menu comes up at “Found firmware update” (or whatever it says).  I press “enter”.

The screen then comes up with something like “New firmware version: 1.03.39_B.  Confirm you want to update?”.  I move the cursor to “OK” and press “enter”.

The unit spends a few seconds reading from the flash drive, then the “rebooting” screen with the little spinner comes up.

After 20 seconds or so, the unit reboots and comes back to the WD logo and “WD TV Live Plud HD Media Player” screen.

Again, the unit accesses the flash drive for several seconds (up to 20 or so), then it stops.

After another few seconds, the screen goes blank (in fact, the unit stops trying to feed video to my monitor, because the ‘HDMI2’ source ID comes up).

That’s it.  Nothing else happens.  Ever.

If I hold the button on the left side of the unit while applying power, it’ll come up with the “insert a USB drive with firmware to recover your WDTV.”

If I insert a flash drive with 1.03.39_B, it’ll access the drive for 20 seconds or so, then stop driving the screen, and then nothing.

If I insert a flash drive with the rollback version of 1.03.29B (1.03.29B was what was on my unit fresh out of the box), it sees it, blanks the screen, then comes up with the “updating firmware” screen after 15 seconds or so.  The progress bar comes up, and goes up to 100%, says “upgrade complete”, and displays the “rebooting” screen with the spinner, then the unit reboots.  If I leave the flash drive in the USB port, this process repeats (“updating”, progrss bar → 100%, “complete”, “rebooting”…pause…“updating”…ad infinitum).  If I remove the flash drive, the unit comes up at the WD logo, and then hangs.

Either the firmware upgrade process is seriously jacked, or there’s a step missing from the instructions.

Which is it?

Perhaps you need to connect to a composite video input then you upgrade. Its probably that you are experiencing HDMI problems. To upgrade all you do is insert the USB drive with the firmware into the USB port and say yes to the upgrade, there is no other user action required. I have been up and down with firmware without any problems so the upgrade process does work.

High_Yield wrote:

As for your DD5.1 issues, could you specify what filetype / container you’re using?

Not quite sure.  I use WinXdvd and have tinkered only a bit.

All I have learned is that when I use “AC3”, I get full DOlby 5.1.

If I use “MP3” of any type, I get ProLogic junk.

So - will run more “mini-ripping” tests and see what works.

Oh - I have a high quality MP4 which also does not output Dolby 5.1 - very disappointing…

On the good side - the rest of the unit is OK, and as for Netflix is is still a good value for me at $8.99.

So (fingers crossed) - a few upgrades from both parties and I’ll be in the pink !

• B

Do you actually know that any of these files are encoded with Dolby 5.1? Obviously the 5.1 must be there for you to play it. I mention this because you have to use ac3 to get dolby digital. Ac3 was developed by Dolby to do just that. Mp3’s don’t. Again your high quality MP4 does not have to have a surround audio track, it could be straight stereo or even mono.

Use mediainfo and see what audio tracks are your files.

Thanks Rich,

… and yes, I am running more tests to validate that for sure I am providing Dolby 5.1 as output.

I have ripped several tiny movie chunks using WinXDVD with AC3, not MP3,  for audio and ran them on my Philips DVD player and on the WD Live Plus - both using the exact same USB stick, with exact same files for input.

Every single time the Philips plays them full Dolby with no issues, and the WD Live Plus plays only Pro Logic.

There is one difference however - the Philips uses COAX digitial out and the WD uses Toslink.

A VERY odd yet related note - I have one movie which actually does, 100% of the time, output from my new WD Live Plus with DolbyD using its Toslink connection but it was a movie which a buddy gave me, so I have no idea how it was ripped.  That tells me that my Toslink/Receiver setup is capable of identifying and outputting DolbyD - but the WD is certainy not outputting as much as it is capable of :frowning: .  IMO it is a bug/ lack of basic functionality.

Also note the the Philips unit I used is a real POS which cost me $40 and has 1 USB port on it.  But, it plays DolbyD so is currently my “projector” until WD happily saddles up the coders and rides them happily into the sunset of funtional code.

I tried the beta firmware.  It doesn’t fix my Netflix issue.  I have a Magnavox 42MF231D 42-Inch Plasma HDTV.  I get a perfect Netflix picture using composite  cables, but using HDMI I’m seeing an occasional valid frame and lots of snow.  The audio (SPDIF) works fine.

So, no change from what a few of us are seeing as discussed here:cry:

ccdalla wrote:

Okay…I’ve now bricked TWO HDTV Live Plusses trying to upgrade to this version of firmware.

The first one, I figured I screwed up the process by removing the drive before it was ready (like, after it erased the flash and rebooted, but before it actually finished writing the new firmware), so I took the heat and bought a new one, but now, the same thing has happened with my new unit.

Here’s what goes on:

I boot up the device while it’s working.

The menu comes up at “Found firmware update” (or whatever it says).  I press “enter”.

The screen then comes up with something like “New firmware version: 1.03.39_B.  Confirm you want to update?”.  I move the cursor to “OK” and press “enter”.

The unit spends a few seconds reading from the flash drive, then the “rebooting” screen with the little spinner comes up.

After 20 seconds or so, the unit reboots and comes back to the WD logo and “WD TV Live Plud HD Media Player” screen.

Again, the unit accesses the flash drive for several seconds (up to 20 or so), then it stops.

After another few seconds, the screen goes blank (in fact, the unit stops trying to feed video to my monitor, because the ‘HDMI2’ source ID comes up).

That’s it.  Nothing else happens.  Ever.

If I hold the button on the left side of the unit while applying power, it’ll come up with the “insert a USB drive with firmware to recover your WDTV.”

If I insert a flash drive with 1.03.39_B, it’ll access the drive for 20 seconds or so, then stop driving the screen, and then nothing.

If I insert a flash drive with the rollback version of 1.03.29B (1.03.29B was what was on my unit fresh out of the box), it sees it, blanks the screen, then comes up with the “updating firmware” screen after 15 seconds or so.  The progress bar comes up, and goes up to 100%, says “upgrade complete”, and displays the “rebooting” screen with the spinner, then the unit reboots.  If I leave the flash drive in the USB port, this process repeats (“updating”, progrss bar → 100%, “complete”, “rebooting”…pause…“updating”…ad infinitum).  If I remove the flash drive, the unit comes up at the WD logo, and then hangs.

Either the firmware upgrade process is seriously jacked, or there’s a step missing from the instructions.

Which is it?

What is the make and model of your TV? We have identified a problem that is basically identical to this that occurs with a handful of Sharp TVs. It’s an HDMI handshaking issue. You should be able to recover your unit by connecting it via composite or component, completing the firmware upgrade, and then downgrading to 1.03.29_B. We’re currently working on a solution for this issue.

Please send me a private message or post again here (or both) if you continue to have problems.

High_Yield wrote:

Thanks Rich,

… and yes, I am running more tests to validate that for sure I am providing Dolby 5.1 as output.

I have ripped several tiny movie chunks using WinXDVD with AC3, not MP3,  for audio and ran them on my Philips DVD player and on the WD Live Plus - both using the exact same USB stick, with exact same files for input.

Every single time the Philips plays them full Dolby with no issues, and the WD Live Plus plays only Pro Logic.

There is one difference however - the Philips uses COAX digitial out and the WD uses Toslink.

A VERY odd yet related note - I have one movie which actually does, 100% of the time, output from my new WD Live Plus with DolbyD using its Toslink connection but it was a movie which a buddy gave me, so I have no idea how it was ripped.  That tells me that my Toslink/Receiver setup is capable of identifying and outputting DolbyD - but the WD is certainy not outputting as much as it is capable of :frowning: .  IMO it is a bug/ lack of basic functionality.

Also note the the Philips unit I used is a real POS which cost me $40 and has 1 USB port on it.  But, it plays DolbyD so is currently my “projector” until WD happily saddles up the coders and rides them happily into the sunset of funtional code.

As I say use mediainfo to have a look at your files and see what they contain. I don’t believe that coax / toslink should make any difference.

1 Like

Spot on Rich w/ Mediainfo.

I ripped a movie last night “thinking” it was 5.1, but came out only 2 channel according to Mediainfo.

But, the one movie I have that DOES come out full Dolby 5.1 shows as such in Mediainfo.

So, running more tests to make sure that my rips all come out 5.1.

That said, I may need to edit my original post and state that the WDLP does output 5.1 properly.

Thanks Rich.

Heh…  Now that’s funny.  :)   Sometimes a second set of eyes is all it takes… 

Ok, well it was stated that there wouid be a beta release for the NON-PLUS users ‘early next week’ its now late next week. any updates?

RichUK and Guy_K:

You’re both correct: The issue is that 1.03.39_B can’t feed good HDMI to my monitor once it’s gotten past the bootloader (or whatever the WD guys like to call the indelible chunk of code that draws the initial WD logo and does the final firmware update stuff).

I connected via composite, navigated through 1.03.39’s menus to update, downgraded to 1.03.29_B, and now all is well again.

Well…“all is well” is a bit of an overstatement: Most of my media files are MP4s (because I want to use them with my iPAD as well), so there are audio sync issues, which is why I went for the 1.03.39 upgrade to start with.

For the record, and if it helps, my monitor is a Sylvania LD320SSX  combination monitor+DVD player (yeah, I know it’s garbage, but it’s in my workout room, so I’m not in the most discerning mood when I’m watching it).  My guess is that Sharp or some similar OEM is making the thing and slapping Sylvania’s logo on the bezel.  I would like to see the audio sync issue fixed, though: As I say, though I’m not in audiophile/videophile mode when I’m watching it, it does get distracting when Band of Brothers suddenly turns into what looks like a poorly-dubbed Godzilla import from the late 60’s/early 70’s:

Winters: (lips move, face is ashen)

Liebgott: (lips move), Winters VO: “Can you ask him, uh, ask him what kind of camp this is.”

Gaah.

Thanks for the assist…

-c

It would be great to have the resume playback in videos (and in music playlists) persist through power cycling. 

Thanks to whoever posted the skip ahead 10 minutes trick.  That helps a whole lot.

Can someone give more info on a keyboard a poster mentioned that’s compatible with these guys? That

sounds more promising, or at least simpler, than what I’m sounding out just now:  port 30000 is open.  I’m

75% of the way through to trying to get viable commands passed to it using a serial-to-USB connector and

a USB to ethernet port. If I’d had a USB gender changer, I’d probably never have gotten to…

Straight telnet to port 30000 works as well, in a super hacky way.  I still need to sound out which keystrokes

do which things. 

But what all this really means?  A web gui for this box, for filling in form boxes and controlling the media

search stuff, would rock the house. 

roustabout wrote:

It would be great to have the resume playback in videos (and in music playlists) persist through power cycling. 

Thanks to whoever posted the skip ahead 10 minutes trick.  That helps a whole lot.

Can someone give more info on a keyboard a poster mentioned that’s compatible with these guys? That

sounds more promising, or at least simpler, than what I’m sounding out just now:  port 30000 is open.  I’m

75% of the way through to trying to get viable commands passed to it using a serial-to-USB connector and

a USB to ethernet port. If I’d had a USB gender changer, I’d probably never have gotten to…

Straight telnet to port 30000 works as well, in a super hacky way.  I still need to sound out which keystrokes

do which things. 

But what all this really means?  A web gui for this box, for filling in form boxes and controlling the media

search stuff, would rock the house. 

Any USB Keyboard should work with the WDTV plus some wireless keboards.

roustabout wrote:

Can someone give more info on a keyboard a poster mentioned that’s compatible with these guys? 

I use a Logitech Wii keyboard.  Works great, costs around $17 on Amazon.  :)

Thanks for the tip, switching to the composite input on TV helped to restore my  WD Live Plus to previous firmware.

Regarding  1.03.39_B firmware:

1. Screws up the sound after switching  to 1920 x 1080  resolution using HDMI, works ok at 720p. I tried a Divx file and few blueray  movies ripped to hard drive, results are same . The 1.03.29_B works well

2.  Biggest issue with both firmwares 1.03.39_B and 1.03.29_B: my projector Viewsonic PJD 6531w recognizes the Live Plus only as a 1280x720p source regardless of settings on the Live Plus. Yet my Samsung 46" HDTV able to get  full HD resolution with the same setup. At the same time the Viewsonic PJD 6531w recognizes regular bluray player as full  HD, so that’s not projector’s fault.

No luck with the upgrade, just keeps rebooting, installing the updated, and cyclying.

I was able to roll back but would like to get to the new relase as I’m having issues of network shares disapearing.

Any ideas?

translux wrote:

… I’m having issues of network shares disapearing.

Any ideas?

Yeah, fix your network.   That’s never been an issue with the Plus; certainly no Firmware changes to that end…

I ran into a situation using this new beta firmware where I was viewing a YouTube video and when I tried shutting down the device via the remote ( Power button) it did not work.  I tried the Back button and the Home button but nothing seemed to work and I was forced to unplug the device and reset it.  I viewed many different YouTube videos before this “lock-up” finally occurred.  Mind you, the video displayed did not lock up.  It kept playing normally.  I just could not exit or power down the system.

Donaf:  That will occasionally happen to the best of players!  :)  But continue to report the issues; WD *does* monitor these beta threads.