WDTV Live Plus Limited Public Beta 1.03.39_B (9/9/10)

I have a live plus with the original firmware.  I do not use Netflix.  Will I get any benefits from this upgrade?  Should I upgrade?

Here are the fixes / changes listed on the download page:

• Resolved Netflix random reboot issue.
  • Resolved Netflix frame rate issue.
  • Resolved MKV AAC on-the-fly mode switching.
  • Resolved MKV playback issues relating to mkvmerge.
  • Resolved MP4 problems with seeking and audio stopping.
  • Resolved MP4 poor frame-rate and audio out of sync.
  • Resolved sub+idx subtitle not working for supported subtitles.
  • Resolved adjusting idx subtitle position which causes video to lock up.
  • Resolved 12 bit color depth has no effect.
  • Resolved no audio for mpeg video when digital audio is enabled.
  • Resolved component user interface color space.
  • Resolved various user interface translation issues.

Only the first two relate to Netflix.  

If any of the other changes apply to you, go grab it while it’s still available.  ;)

If not, stick with what you’ve got unless something is actually not working for you.

Any suggestions from my earlier post? None of my MKVs are playing and they are all done with the same encoding.

Anthony_S wrote:

Here is that same video I posted earlier with MKVINFO but now with MediaInfo:

Format                           : Matroska

File size                        : 2.19 GiB

Duration                         : 1h 15mn

Overall bit rate                 : 4 129 Kbps

Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-07-27 17:31:41

Writing application              : mkvmerge v3.0.0 (‘Hang up your Hang-Ups’) built on Dec 12 2009 15:20:35

Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames

Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1

Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC

Bit rate                         : 3 487 Kbps

Width                            : 1 280 pixels

Height                           : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.158

Stream size                      : 1.80 GiB (83%)

Writing library                  : x264 core 98 r1649 c54c47d

Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3487 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Language                         : English

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : AC-3

Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)

Codec ID                         : A_AC3

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 6 channels

Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Stream size                      : 347 MiB (16%)

My first thought is the rather high AAC bitrate - did it start off that high? Are you passing through or re-encoding?

Have you tried the following:

1.  Reset via side button  (let it restart)

2.  Reset to Factory Defaults via Setup  (let it restart)

3.  Power Cycle (unplug from power!  leave for 10 mins then plug back in)

It’s pretty much mandatory procedure following firmware updates.  

At least you can use a keyboard to re-enter network credentials now… (used to hate that part!).  :)

I see the mkvmerge problem has been solved.

WHEN will we get that fix on the none plus version??

Evanesco wrote:

I see the mkvmerge problem has been solved.

WHEN will we get that fix on the none plus version??

Very Soon (this week will be my guess).  As usual, it will be a limited beta, so make sure you check back here frequently so you don’t miss out if interested.

Was the whole instant queue issue fixed?  Netflix issues should be handled with priority since this was the primary reason many people bought it and already had a live.

Also, Im glad there is so much confusion regarding which version this thread was meant for, as I mentioned before, I do not know why there isn’t a separate forum for a different product.

Of course, I was told before " it is not a different product" .

EDIT : That being said, I will update my firmware and post any info.

1 Like

Look at the title of the thread.   I don’t know how it could have been less confusing… :wink:

Hi, just got my WD Live plus after returning a Viewsonic VMP75 due to many firmware issues.

I immediately installed the latest BETA firmware on 9/14/2010.

My setup is using Component video output and fiber optic audio out (I have no HDMI on my old HDTV or my Onkyo receiver)

So far I am relatively happy with WD but wish to provide more details.

First the “Good”:

• It turns on

• Logitech desktop EX 100 wireless keyboard works (included wireless mouse does nothing however)

- I use it to enter passwords and search internet media, like YouTube

- It works, but could work better as there is no fast forward capability from the keyboard - why not?

- If you add “fast forward” and “options menu” via the keyboard and I can but the remote away

- Why is the “right arrow” key bound to subtitles rather than skip forward ?

• YouTube, Mediafly, and Netflix work fine so far, but with only limited testing

- I may have Dolby output issues with Netflix - need to test more

• I can connect to my Synology DS100J UpNP media server and play movies, see photos, play music

• Album art is visible (was not in the Viewsonic VMP75 and supprot said “it is not supported” - so back it went)

• Network hardwired and DHCP worked immediately - no issues at all

• Can browse/play files via network direct access

- Workgroup / Username / Password work fine connecting to my Synology NAS

• Main menu navigation is pretty fast and looks slick

Now the Bad:

• On bootup (I am using component out) I see garbage on the screen - yikes !

- I see static, purple lines and I think I can see a WD icon on the screen, but not sure…

- After ~30 seconds, the screen goes black

- Then I see more junk on the screen, white lines this time rather than purple

- Then finally the screen clears and I wee the WD logo and “Bootup”, or some other text

- From here on out the video works fine

- Initially I thought the unit was dead (I still think it may have issues, we’ll see)

[ So, please review component output guys - you have issues there.

Note the same static and purple lines appeared pre-Beta firmware as well.]

• Audio, after fast forwarding a lot, audio disappears entirely and I have to reboot to get it back.

• You need a 32x Fast Forward, or other FF methodology.

- 16x is simply too slow

- I read on a tips site there is a way to FF 10 minutes at a time, but need to find it again and test it.

• ISO files are not playble via UpNP

- This may be normal for UpNP, I don’t know (validated that it is…)

- I can play some ISO’s via direct network access - but need to tinker more

• I am not seeing subtitle output so far using AVI files with “.srt” subtitle files

- I only have one movie with subtitles, Apocalypto

… but the subtitles work fine for Apocalypto using my piece of $h1t Philips DVD player w/ USB - so…

Overall

• I am really concerned with the bootup screen garbage and still may return the unit

• It is a much better unit overall than the Viewsonic VMP75, and has this forum which is nice

• If you fix the bootup issue and add fast forward key mapping to a wireless keyboard, I give it 5 stars

Regards - B

EDIT:

Note - My Dolby issues were related to my buggy DVD Ripping software(WinxDVD) - the WD plays Dobly fine.

So - you will see future posts related to toslink and lack of Dolby 5.1 output - that has been SOLVED.

B.

Note  You’'ll see “Dolby Digital” even if the track is 2 channel AC-3.

10m fast forward is clicking >> one time (2x) and then clicking >>|. 

Lack of DVD ISO via UPnP is a limitation of DLNA/UPnP, not the WDTV.

I want the ac3 track as ac3 on the optical output. NOT PCM !!!

Why does it matter?  

Note  You’'ll see “Dolby Digital” even if the track is 2 channel AC-3.

To be clear, I believe the movie is 5.1 Dolby but am not getting that output in my receiver.

My receiver states “Dolby D” when I have 5.1 and “Bolby PLII Movie” otherwise.

WD IMO should make the distinction and display as such (guess it does not).

10m fast forward is clicking >> one time (2x) and then clicking >>|. 

Thanks, will try it as the standard FF is no fun.

Lack of DVD ISO via UPnP is a limitation of DLNA/UPnP, not the WDTV.

Which is what I stated as a possibility, just letting people who read this know what it can/cannot do.

I want the ac3 track as ac3 on the optical output. NOT PCM !!!

Why does it matter?  

Notice that this was a statement from another user on this forum that seemed to echo my Dolby issues.

I expect to get Dolby 5.1, not 2 channel or PCM (I do not know th technical term).

Essentially as I stated up top, I want to see “Dolby D” on my receiver, and do not .

You also asked “Why does it matter” -  well, when my receiver does not state “Dolby D” the sound quality is far, far less appealing.  I like full Dolby and bought software to rip my DVD’s specifically so I can hear Dolby 5.1.

In the end, I believe there are WD Beta  issues with Dolby output via Toslink, and video output via component.

First, thanks for a great product!  I bought the LIve TV Plus.  There is so much junk out there.  This unit actually performa well and has minimal issues.

I have noticed the following issues with the most current beta:

1.  Could the deinterlaced be improved at all?  I have noticed in some animation video’s iso files I have, the interlace issues are appearent during movement.  If I put the DVD on my PS2 or play the ISO on my Patriot box Office (The only redeeming part of this unit)  I don’t get this. 

2.  I had some other issues, ( Video not playing after skipping forward and backward within ISO file via Network Share.  Also file sizes wrong in network shares.)  I did cold boot the unit ( after letting it set for 15 minutes)  after updating the firmware.   But didn’t default the unit.  I’ll try that plus another cold boot just to be sure this is an actual issue.

Thanks!

All seems to work fine except if you pause an avi file for 30 – 45 minutes when you hit play it jumps out of the movie.  About half the time when you press play it jumps to the Video Icon and the local drive Icon is gone.  You have to reboot or sometime you can go into settings file manager that restores it.  

High_Yield:   I agree with you that if it’s really 5.1 and all you’re getting is TWO, that’s not good.

(The typical cause for this is that the AUDIO SETTINGS in the WDTV are set to STEREO instead of DIGITAL.

The other thread (at least, the one I’m remembering) was a discussion of AC3-2.0 versus PCM;  there really should be no difference, as the only thing that’s going on is that the WDTV is doing the decode versus the Receiver doing the decode, but either way, the resulting audio would be IDENTICAL at the speakers.

There’s an exception, of course:  If the receiver is configured to use a DSP “Enhancement” on 2-channel sources, while leaving 5.1 sources “As Is,” that would definitely account for a difference in presentation…

Yeah, I think we’re on the same page now, too many terms for the audio stuff (ac3, pcm, dolby, dts, aac…).

My receiver considers the output of all but one movie I have in AVI format to be “Dolby Pro Logic” which sounds horrible.

While we’re at it, if someone can test this for me as I would ~imagine~ it should work, but does not for me ???

I go into Netflix and pick the HD version of “LOST Season 3” and watch it on my WD Live Plus.

The video looks great, clear, but again the audio comes to me as Dolby Pro Logic II.

No Dolby 5.1 to be found.

Now, I am using Component Video and Toslink audio.

Can someone try viewing the same Netflix movie via HDMI audio only, and then also using Toslink audio only and tell me your results ?  Do you get Dolby 5.1 in both cases, or either case ?

Netflix HD videos MUST come with Dolby 5.1 surround and not 2 channel Dolby ProLogic right ???

Thanks in advance - H

High_Yield wrote:

Netflix HD videos MUST come with Dolby 5.1 surround and not 2 channel Dolby ProLogic right ???

Netflix currently does not provide Dolby 5.1 when streaming.

It’s meant to be coming soon but it’s not yet available.  See this blog post:

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/04/subtitles-now-available-for-some-titles.html

< insert sound of me falling onto floor here >

How could I have read so many reviews, stats, etc… and missed that one - unbelievable.

It’s like buying a new Ferrari and finding out the engine will be delivered sometime in the future… - sound is a BIG part of the movie watching experience.

Anyway, I am still having non-Netflix Dolby issues which need attention in the mean time.

Thanks Pixel (I guess thanks?  You know what happens to deliverer’s of bad news…)

High_Yield wrote:

< insert sound of me falling onto floor here >

How could I have read so many reviews, stats, etc… and missed that one - unbelievable.

It’s like buying a new Ferrari and finding out the engine will be delivered sometime in the future… - sound is a BIG part of the movie watching experience.

Anyway, I am still having non-Netflix Dolby issues which need attention in the mean time.

Thanks Pixel (I guess thanks?  You know what happens to deliverer’s of bad news…)

…yeah, don’t shoot me.  ;)

I agree about Netflix; sound is literally half the experience and a decent 5.1 track can make even a mediocre film more entertaining.  But at least it will be coming eventually.  Shame netflix are so vague about timelines…

As for your DD5.1 issues, could you specify what filetype / container you’re using?

I’m able to get DD5.1 (or AC-3 5.1) via Optical without issue when using MKV and AVI containers.  Unfortunately, MP4 / M4V containers downmix 5.1 to stereo (there are Idea threads and petitions to change this but so far WD has made no progress).

DD2.0 (or AC-3 2.0) gets output as PCM regardless of container, which doesn’t bother me so much as there’s no quality loss (PCM is simply the uncompressed DD 2.0 stream).  You can argue that it’s preferable to let the AVR do the decoding rather than the Live but the end result should be the same.

Okay…I’ve now bricked TWO HDTV Live Plusses trying to upgrade to this version of firmware.

The first one, I figured I screwed up the process by removing the drive before it was ready (like, after it erased the flash and rebooted, but before it actually finished writing the new firmware), so I took the heat and bought a new one, but now, the same thing has happened with my new unit.

Here’s what goes on:

I boot up the device while it’s working.

The menu comes up at “Found firmware update” (or whatever it says).  I press “enter”.

The screen then comes up with something like “New firmware version: 1.03.39_B.  Confirm you want to update?”.  I move the cursor to “OK” and press “enter”.

The unit spends a few seconds reading from the flash drive, then the “rebooting” screen with the little spinner comes up.

After 20 seconds or so, the unit reboots and comes back to the WD logo and “WD TV Live Plud HD Media Player” screen.

Again, the unit accesses the flash drive for several seconds (up to 20 or so), then it stops.

After another few seconds, the screen goes blank (in fact, the unit stops trying to feed video to my monitor, because the ‘HDMI2’ source ID comes up).

That’s it.  Nothing else happens.  Ever.

If I hold the button on the left side of the unit while applying power, it’ll come up with the “insert a USB drive with firmware to recover your WDTV.”

If I insert a flash drive with 1.03.39_B, it’ll access the drive for 20 seconds or so, then stop driving the screen, and then nothing.

If I insert a flash drive with the rollback version of 1.03.29B (1.03.29B was what was on my unit fresh out of the box), it sees it, blanks the screen, then comes up with the “updating firmware” screen after 15 seconds or so.  The progress bar comes up, and goes up to 100%, says “upgrade complete”, and displays the “rebooting” screen with the spinner, then the unit reboots.  If I leave the flash drive in the USB port, this process repeats (“updating”, progrss bar → 100%, “complete”, “rebooting”…pause…“updating”…ad infinitum).  If I remove the flash drive, the unit comes up at the WD logo, and then hangs.

Either the firmware upgrade process is seriously jacked, or there’s a step missing from the instructions.

Which is it?