WDTV Live Limited Public Beta 1.03.38_V (8/11/10)

Hello Peter,

so thank you for your reply (no reason to get offensive - I’m just trying to bring in my 5 cents)

I’m happy you confirm the HDMI problem…

Secondly, the DVD navigation

• OK for DNLA and DVD (it’s a feature that makes it easy for the rest of the world)

-  IFO → indeed, if the box knows how t handle this, it will have no issue for DVD menu navigation and menus, you just hit enter and the menu will appear - the movie will only start once you select it … (if you have mulitple “movies” on one structure)

• Sorry to say so but menu isn’t in options (not via VIDEO_TS and not via the VOB files directly → cfr other posts, they confirm)

Thanks,

-xtof

BTW: the typing - I agree but apparently I’m not smart enough to have a great formatting… with my current browser

HORSECRAP.    MENU is ABSOLUTELY one of the options.   You’re arguing with no first-hand knowledge.   I’m arguing the counter because I use it ALL THE TIME.  

Without it, DVD navigation would NOT BE POSSIBLE.   But it DOES work, hence MENUS MUST BE.  Q.E.D.

Your point?

@richUK: Many thx for this good advise.

It took quite a while for the mp3tag prog to hash more than 10.000 mp3 files … but finally it was done and really, the WD TV live box displays the tags as expected, now. :slight_smile:

I wonder what was the fault since all other tools and devices I used before did not show any problems with my mp3 collection …?

Again thank you for your reply

OK, please tell me how I should use the menu or how to do it as you describe…, or do you have a detailed step-by-step that is related to 38-FW, really, I appreciate the input… (I fear that we don’t speak about the same feature …but againa, I can be wrong …

JK:   Just label it “One of those things.”     ID3 / EXIF and the like are “loose” enough that implementation can vary slightly.

@Xtof-Gadet:

When watching an ISO or DVD that has menus enabled, you press the OPTIONS button.

You should see only three icons:

AUDIO

SUBTITLES

MENU

Select MENU and hit OK.

Voila.  The MENU appears.   Press OPTIONS button again to dismiss the WDTV’s menu box to navigate the menu.

If you see MORE than three icons, such as CHAPTERS, PAN, ZOOM, INFO, etc. then you are playing a source without menus enabled.

The user must press ENTER over the selected VIDEO_TS folder or ISO file. If instead, the user press PLAY there is no Menu option.

ENTER is used to enter the menu option.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

valente274 wrote:

Bobby,

You must be crazy. Maybe you always watch the same movie… that’s why you don’t have issues…

No, it’s because he has an HDMI device that isn’t bothered by the bug.   I’m the same:  I have THREE of them, and not a single one is giving me any issues at all…    Doesn’t make me crazy…  It makes me lucky.  :)  Actually, naw, I’m in the NORMAL camp.   The vast majority of users aren’t having HDMI issues.

Or you just made that up, and the vast majority are have the problems the rest of us have - but have moved on to another device.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

The DVD functionality required a new SDK from Sigma.   Sigma apparently changed a lot of the behaviors, including HDMI handshake and HDMI shutdown.

That’s odd, since it has been a function of the chip all the time why would you need a new SDK suddenly. But if it is sigmas fault I guess i should complain there as well.

Not to get off topic, but, TonyPh12345: What does Q.E.D. mean? :slight_smile:

whattheheck wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

The DVD functionality required a new SDK from Sigma.   Sigma apparently changed a lot of the behaviors, including HDMI handshake and HDMI shutdown.

That’s odd, since it has been a function of the chip all the time why would you need a new SDK suddenly. But if it is sigmas fault I guess i should complain there as well.

Doesn’t  sound odd at all.

What odd is this V.  What’s with this V at the end…  Really, who puts a V on a Beta?

TTFN

Jackster wrote:

Not to get off topic, but, TonyPh12345: What does Q.E.D. mean? :slight_smile:

It means, Tony has made himself look a prat, QED.

tee hee

Jackster:  Q.E.D. is the abbreviation for the Latin Phrase Quad Erat Demonstrandum.   Literally, “That which was to be demonstrated,” but is used at the end of a scientific or mathematical proof that the prior content DOES demonstrate what was asked.

wiiBox: Why the hate?  Prat tends to indicate you think of me as incompetent.  I’m OK with that…

But to answer your prior question, the V signifies “Villa,” which is the “internal” name for the WDTV Live.   The Live+ has the designation"_B," which is “Bungalow.”    This seems to indicate that the firmware for both units is built off the same source, and are forked to add additional features to one branch over the other.

These names are seen in the source trees of the GPL libraries.

@whattheheck:

The DVD Navigation features required a new SDK from Sigma.  WD has already said that during the first 1.03 beta.  I don’t know why an SDK would be required, but that’s the “Official Word,” like it or not…

If you want to foment a new conspiracy, that’s fine.  

All I can tell you is what I said; I’ve tested three units on three different HDMI devices, and none of them give me a lick of trouble with HDMI.  Most people who report on a forum are people who are having problems.   Do you actually expect to see thousands of people to come here and make one post, “Hey, just bought it, it works perfect!”  No. 

Making a report that Beta firmware isn’t working is a good thing.   Bitching and moaning about it is another thing altogether…  People who don’t want the risk of unpredicatble behavior should never involve themselves in a beta program…

To aid in debugging this issue, can anyone experiencing HDMI issues please report the following:

1. TV make and model

2. What HDMI setting you’re using - Auto or a specific resolution/refresh rate

Your help is appreciated.

I’m another Media Server user…  using PS3 Media Server on the backend.  The WD TV Live is working relatively well except for folder refresh.

PS3 Media Server is refreshing the files just fine.  My other DLNA client, the PS3, shows the file adds/removes right away if I back out of a folder and go back in.

I can’t seem to figure out when/why the WD TV Live refreshes.  I’ve tried the in/out of the folder technique, red button standby, and pulling the plug…  but it generally doesn’t change the list of items.  Then I’ll power it off overnight, and the next day I might find that it has the new items.

In a future firmware I’d love to see a way to force a refresh of a Media Server folder or clear the file listing cache.  Or, at least help me understand the method to this madness! 

Thanks!

• HDMI handshake issues introduced in 1.03.35V  After further testing is still not working with the Sharp 26 inch
  • LCD, Still a blank screen, the composite works fine, still waiting for solutions P.S. I have now three HDMI Cables
  • from three different companies. Also did a lot of reboots and tv  on/off still no results
  • any other LCD tv HDMI problems ???

Thanks, TonyPh12345.  I was scratching my head there for a minute!

Still having issues with the HDMI, Posted just 5min ago for the earlier Beta, this beta still will not work with 26 inch Sharp TV and I have switched with three different HDMI cables

clw2010, Be sure to post your Make & Model of TV.