wd30ezrs-00j99b0

I’m using this 3TB HDD (WD30EZRS-00J99B0) in a HP Z400 workstation with Windows 7 64 bits. I’m also using the bundled HBA. In Windows Disk Management, I see two partitions: 2048GB and 746GB. I can only use the 2048GB partition, Windows doesn’t allow me to do something with the 746GB partition. Any solutions?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Hello,

I managed to solve the problem myself.

Start situation after I installed the disk in my computer: in Disk Management I saw two unformatted partitions, 2048GB and 746GB. They seemed to be pre-configured with this two partitions.
When I clicked with the right button of my mouse on either partitions, I could only do something with the 2048GB partition. For the 746GB partition, I could only view the properties. I turned the 2048GB partition on to a simple volume. Then I reported my problem to you.

Today, in Disk Management, I removed the one volume I could activate (the 2048GB partition). Then I clicked with the right button of my mouse on the left side of 2048GB partition (on the disk symbol). There, I could select “Convert to GPT disk”. As soon as I did this, the two partitions merged to one and this one I could turn on to a volume of 3TB. Problem solved!

Kind regards,
Otto.