WD20EARX slower than old

So I just got a WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6Gb/s drive

I already have a WD20EARS 2TB drive that I got in July of this year.

Here is the performance:

](http://i40.tinypic.com/207ni37.jpg[/IMG])

How come my new drive is 20MB/s slower than the old one? I even paid more for the WD20EARX

are you using them on the same os?  what os are you using?  they’re advanced format drives, did you align the partition correctly (only if you’re using xp)?

Same OS (Win7 x64), same mobo (Asus P7H55M), same everything.

I didn’t align anything, I just put the new drive in my computer and did a slow format using Windows disk management.

then I wouldn’t have a clue as to why the performance is so different.  sorry. 

On closer inspection it appears my drive has 4-platters! The underside is completely flat with no indentations. It even has the exact same firmware name as my old WD20EARS

It is 2011, this is supposed to be a recently released  drive (WD20EARX) and a replacement for the old WD20EARS.

I thought 667GB platters were normal, all the reviews said this drive was 3xplatter and that’s why I bought it, so it was more reliable than a 4xplatter design.

Is it possible that WD are putting the WD20EARX sticker on old 500GB-platter drives to try and trick people? It will be the last time I buy WD if that is the case. Seagate are shipping 1TB per platter drives soon and I am stuck with this old junk.

i think you have a bad drive  or a drive with problems on reading the media ( maybe head problems)… please return the drive and get a new one :slight_smile:

i think an year releasing 3 platter design drives is enough to end the stock with the older design… if you understand what im saying :slight_smile:

your new drive should have the same type of curve of wd20ears :)  sssllloowllyyy :slight_smile:

best regards

“i think an year releasing 3 platter design drives is enough to end the stock with the older design… if you understand what im saying”

Yeah, maybe use up the older platters on OLDER drives. Not the brand new WD20EARX. This is a new model # and they make a big deal about it being an improved version of WD20EARS with new 6Gb/s interface (yes I know this is irrevelant with platter-based HDDs).

When I buy a newly launched product and they are saying it is new and improved, I would expect it to be using new technology. Not OLDER, SLOWER

when I say this, I’m not defending them, but I don’t think any drive manufacturer thinks of 4 platters being part of old technology.  most likely, they’re building their “new” technology on the 6Gb transfer rate.