WD2001FASS - Caviar Black 2TB Load Cycle Count

Hi All,

After a wasted week of trying to get an answer out of Western Digital, I decided I’d post the answer here.

WD2001FASS - Caviar Black 2TB

It parks heads after 12.8 seconds. It will eventually kill itself doing this. I was getting around 1400 Load Cycle Count a day due it parking and waking up constantly.

WDIDLE3 works perfectly on these drives. Find the bootable USB, copy across WDIDLE3, and run it one drive at a time with WDIDLE3 to see the status (12.8 seconds), and WDIDLE3 /D to set it to a very long time.

Western Digital Support after a week refuse to answer any questions about Load Cycle Count, or WDIDLE3, apart from saying WDIDLE3 doesn’t work on this drive, which is incorrect, I have now ran it on 4, put them straight back into operation afterwards with no ill effects/reinstall/problems/checksum fails.

If any WD staff read this, please send it to your support teams so they learn something about the products they support. WD drive, WD firmware on the drive, WDIDLE3 software. Nobody else’s problem.

same on wd20ears :slight_smile:

Rhys1 wrote:

Hi All,

After a wasted week of trying to get an answer out of Western Digital, I decided I’d post the answer here.

WD2001FASS - Caviar Black 2TB

It parks heads after 12.8 seconds. It will eventually kill itself doing this. I was getting around 1400 Load Cycle Count a day due it parking and waking up constantly.

Hi Rhys1…

Where can I see this? HD Tune?

Thanks in advance.

I was using smartctl in the smartmontools range ( http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/))

Its listed as Load_Cycle_Count in information

Blacks are rated to 300,000. I would have hit 600,000 in around a year, on a drive with 5 years warranty. Its stopped dead since I ran WDIDLE3, not even 1 or 2 a day compared to 1400 ish before.

Going to give this a bump.

No reply back from WD after asking for it to be escalated to somebody who knows what a hard drive is.

WD, this is making a clear statement to your possible customers: zero support will be provided, just excuses.