WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, Windows 10, SMB v1 network protocol

until you get hacked :wink: 
 SMB1 was disabled in Windows 10 for security reasons

google the reasons if you want

JoeySmyth,

Did you think this is new news?? If you will read this entire thread as I have, you will see that the risks you mention are well discussed. I am well aware of the risks and it is my choice whether or not I take them.

True, I wish that WD had updated the WDTV’s firmware to use something other than SMB1, but they chose not to, so I am stuck. I still find the legacy WDTV media player to be the best out there in terms of seamless viewing of nearly every type of A/V file that exists, so I am keeping it. However, to make it work on my W10 system, I must use SMB1. That is my choice. Frankly, I have no fear of being hacked. I’m just glad I found this work-around.

Sorry i caught you in a grumpy mood 
 take a happy pill, and have a great day ! :slightly_smiling_face:

How smug

Dear friends,
I apologize in advance, I will write a slightly longer post.
I have 2 WD TV live devices - third generation (same model).
One is directly connected via a switch with a LAN cable and the other using wi-fi.
I’ve been using them for a few years (I’m talking about the network share function) first on one computer that was on Windows 7 and now I have two that use Windows 10 ( both connected via LAN)
During all these years of use, it annoys me terribly that for some reason the network share function works few days and then for some inexplicable reason stops working.
I don’t even know what I didn’t do, reset computers, WD, reset share folders, firewalls, delete share login on WD players. It always worked with resetting some of the mentioned terms, and sometimes I honestly don’t even know how.
The last time everything worked for me was continuously 15-20 days in August 2020 and then of course STOP, it doesn’t work, my WD players don’t see computers.
Please note that my version of Windows 10 on both computers is 1909 and that both WD players use the latest software version 2.03.20.
Yesterday (28.09.2020) I tweaked something about SMB protocol 1.0 on one of the computers, enable, disable, reset the computer, reset the firewall, reset the share folders, then reset the computer again and it worked. Don’t ask me about the sequence of actions, it really doesn’t I remember.
After this action, I was able to access both computers via both WD players.
Why am I writing all this ?
I see that there is a big discussion about the SMB protocol.
I wanted to tell you that the computer on which I did a reset of all this (on the other I did nothing) all 3 items related to SMB 1.0 were checked and network share is working and on the other, none of the 3 options is checked and it works.
More precisely, ask for my user name and password and it does not pass the default anonymous.
Prior to this action, this computer was not seen in the share menu.
That is irrelevant to this story now.

I see that it is written here about SMB protocol 1.0 and that new versions of Windows 10 do not support it (newer versions of Windows 10 only work with 2.0 or 3.0 0 so they say, I really don’t know) .
It is also mentioned that WD only works with protocol 1.0.
This is obviously not true because it works for me (since yesterday and I know it won’t be long).
My question is:
Why is it stated that Windows 10 (newer versions and I guess my 1909 is newer) doesn’t work with protocol 1.0 when you have a submenu to turn it on or off.

I see that the network shar problem will be present in the future and WD obviously has no intention of upgrading the software on their devices and adapting them to Windows 10. I wanted to get an external 3 TB hard drive and connect it to WD and download directly to it.
If network share doesn’t work I would have to move the external hard drive from the computer in the other room to the WD device and vice versa every hour.

My other question is:
Would I solve the the problem with sharing if I bought a NAS hard drive that would be connected to the network with a LAN cable and directly to the WD player via the USB port.
It is a slightly more expensive option compared to external hard drive,

WD is a great device and I just wouldn’t want to have to switch to another manufacturer because of these problems.

Best regards

duskok59:
No need to apologize. To me at least. As you can tell from my posts going back to 2017, I am guilty of the same. I do not really expect many readers want to slog through a lengthy technical discourse but really want a Readers Digest question and answer. My intent is to provide sufficient information in a post so that if anyone is searching the internet for a solution to a problem, as I do many times, somewhere in that post might be a clue to a solution for you; even if it is 3 years after the initial post.

To answer your first question, if Win 10 does not support SMB 1, why the sub-menu entry?. I assume you are referring to the Windows Settings => Apps => Optional Features => More Windows Features => Turn Windows features on and off => SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.
In 2017, it appeared that Microsoft intent was to remove the support from Windows. Some sources suggested that the next Windows upgrade would remove the SMB 1 code period. Others suggested that if the Windows feature was turned off at the time of the next upgrade, that would result in the SMB 1 code being removed. There was no suggestion that you would be able to simply reinstall SMB 1 support by tweaking the Windows features option ON. In fact, I have had the SMB 1 feature turned off for almost three years, gone through several feature updates (at Windows 10 2004 right now) and the option to turn SMB 1 support still exists. So it would be more accurate to say that Windows can support SMB 1 if you are bound and determined to accept the security risks, but there is no guarantee how long that option will remain. We don’t know what Microsoft’s plans are. They may have decided that permanent removal of the support would have bricked too many customer devices and are leaving it up to you to make your choice.

As for your NAS question, I do not use NAS devices, so I defer to more experienced forum members, but based on what I understand of how NAS devices function, as long as you confirm that your NAS of choice supports SMB 1 (and SMB2-3 for longevity), you should be on your way. Since you appear to have two pcs and two WD TV Live devices and don’t know if there would be any issues with simultaneous access conflicts via LAN or USB connections.

Just a couple of other comments for anyone else visiting this post:

The fact that in the above post an attempt by the WD TV Live to access a Windows 10 non-SMB 1 pc share results in a user name and password prompt, does not indicate that the Win 10 pc supports SMB 1. It is a red herring. The WD TV Live is wrongly interpreting a connect request rejection as a request for security validation. The name and password response is not even processed by the pc.

The issue of the WD TV Live seeing or being seen by the pcs using SMB 1 is a Master Browser issue I address in my January 2017 post (yes, you may have to dig down to the applicable paragraph). It may be a change in a planned/unplanned change your Win software/configuration but more often proved in tests to be simply a shutdown of one pc/WD TV Live or reboot of another, and the Master Browser forgetting the devices on the LAN. Often, simply turning off all the devices, making the decision which one of your devices you wanted to be the Master Browser (most likely the one that is turned on the longest, say 24/7) and rebooting that device first, would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, with Microsoft making it more and more difficult to control unplanned reboots to perform Win upgrades, the issue is aggravated.

With SMB 2-3, the issue with shares coming and going still exists. Instead of a Master Browser issue, it becomes a Function Discovery services issue. The workaround is a little less invasive. You go to the pc with the share/s that aren’t seen and restart the Function Discover Provider Host service (this simultaneously restarts the Function Discovery Resource Publication service. This appears to re-announce the shares existence to the LAN.

In closing, in the three years I have moved on. I still maintain that, as you do, the WD TV Live was/is an awesome media player and very good investment, but the SMB 1 issue became a deal breaker. I moved on to a mid-range Linux based media player and, since native Linux did not support SMB 2-3, I chose a media player app that provided that support, in addition to HDMI, Dolby Surround (and decoded the speaker positions correctly which the WD TV did not). I had trials and tribulations but I will leave that for another post unless there are specific requests, with the qualification that I will be as verbose as I have been to now.