WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.01.17[ New ]

Updated to 1.01.17 via ethernet, no problems at all.

All WD firmwares are deviding users. It’s like Microsoft :slight_smile:

I am a happy user. Yes, I’m still looking for a method to play from W7 shares. A strong method, not a “permit any” one. But this is not a real problem. It’s just a nice to have one…

What do they have only one person working on this ahhhhhh they must be scalling back because of the economy  [text deleted] 

Ignorant Comment with a bad political twist - 1

Decent Comment about Firmware - 0

Ignorant Comment Wins!

Anyway…

I wonder if this firmware updater allows some better protection to the firmware updater. Probably less bricks afterwards.

no I was not forced to buy this but I did buy it and no it does no do what it promises all I ask is for it to do what it says I am using my PS3 It does work and does what SONY says

oh thanks brian lol

This thing and WD in general has become this incredibly idiotic company within about 6 months. My WD TV Live is now a very attractive charcoal grey brick sitting on top of my satellite box in my bedroom. Before this infernal update, everything was running fine. I saw the update available thing come up and left it on there for 2 weeks. Then against my better judgment I installed it - and now, this thing is useless. It see my computer just fine, but Media Servers and Network Shares yield the infamous “no media in this folder” message. All share are turned on on the computer, all security is able to run no problem (as the previous firmware will attest to), but now I get nothing. The thing won’t see any folders or files whatsoever. Its not enough that WD changed their (once great0 external drives into software bundled pieces of password encoded, non-read by WD TV Live ■■■■, now they’ve managed to yet again fix what wasn’t broken by this update. I’m hoping someone on here has some kind of answer to this problem, aside from waiting another 3 months for a new firmware (or should I say flaccidware) to mess this thing up any further and completely ignore the 300 threads of problems that go unfixed. Seriously WD, if you’re not going to come into these forums and offer some kind of support or do something more helpful over the phone, your company won’t last long. There are other options out there, but I’m hoping on this last ditch effort that someone in your company fixes your problems (which are multiplying rapidly) by helping us on here or at least offering a rebate program to fix these now $100 bricks sitting on numerous TVs, and entertainment centers.

I have been upgrading my unit with every firmware that came out. 

All upgrades went smooth.

However, with last firmware 1.0.1.17 i am getting strange behavior playing simple avi and xvid.

It looks like sometime the movie would pause or look like it got stuck but audio continue.

The unit stopped playing any media files.

I restarted the unit and everything was working however at exactly the same spot in the  movie the unit displayed FATAL ERROR and unit rebooted :wink: Sounds like bluew screen of death without bluew screen :wink:

Anyways, the fimrware needs to have batter error handling and recovery.

Ever since the update I can’t pause video.  If I want to stop playing a video I have to unplug the WDTV Live and plug it back in.  I can’t just use the power button because it just starts playing the video again.  It thinks a play/pause button press is always play and never pause, so it gets confused and tells me it can’t play the selected video (probably because there’s no video selected because I’m already playing one).  Does anyone know how to revert to the original firmware?  That’s the only version that actually worked for me.  I had no problems and wish I never updated.  Things just get worse every time I update.

I lost subtitle support on .ts files after the last update.

Subtitles are there when played on pc but not on WD tv live.

I am now considering to sell this [text deleted] , and start building a dedicated media pc with xbmc and linux.

The lack of options for showing or not showing units in network, or hiding shared folders that dont contain media is also

a big minus.( I have 7 units in my home network  and a lot of shares on every one of them)

The waf is pretty low at this point.

Guran

Norway

Please fix audio/video sync issues with mp4 files

I just can’t believe it’s been 3 weeks without another firmware update addressing the many issues with the WDTV Live.

Obviously the issue affecting most, seems to the mp4 audio/video sync issue.  How could it have worked with the original firmware, but not with the current?  That tells me that it shouldn’t be terribly difficult to correct.

i have an external enclosure with 2 hard drives.

after upgrading to version x.17 i only see the first hard drive in that unit.

should i just downgrade back to vx.11?

is there anybody who successfully downgraded?

thanks

1 Like

I would NOT recommend trying to downgrade to any previous firmware version.  There were some important changes made to the firmware to prevent them from bricking, like they did last time, in future updates.  Have you tried contacting WD’s Technical Support? I would consider giving them a call about this. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

What’s the point of having a better download manager you don’t need it until you have something to download like maybe new firmware that actually fixes something, no point in having a new download manager didn’t have to download anything for months now. Makes the updates pretty flipping useless, Why did WD even bother pushing it out since it does absolutely NOTHING, download manager could have been shipped out with fixes

I have contacted WD Technical Support regarding my 2-bay enclosure problem.

The solution they gave me it was to return the unit and to get a new one with firmware xx.11

I hope, I HOPE, that WD will fix this in the next firmware.

@bugly: I think WD want to make sure sufficient units have the .17 firmware, before pushing out new (major) updates, as to avoid more bricked units. So it does make sense!

Voyager, you’re right.  This firmware update fixed an issue that could be the source of bricking the device.  Moreover, we are definitely working on fixing issues, but it will take some time, especially with testing constraints.  Just know that some of the larger complaints are definitely being addressed.  Obviously, it’s not happening as quickly as we would like, but it is still happening.  So, thank you for your continued patience.

Bill, why don’t you start a new prerelease program? Like the one you had for the first WDTV?

Ok, who loads a beta version cannot blame you about bricking the unit (I saw there are some ways to fix that on the house). But some users may be a good tester for that.

I would be such user. I’m not complaining about my Live unit. But it would be very nice to have some new features to try from time to time :slight_smile:

drabisan,

What you’re talking about is essentially a beta testing program for firmware.  We do beta testing in some areas, for software, but I haven’t heard of doing beta testing for firmware.  I’ll pass the idea along, but I doubt they’ll respond, since there is no real way to tell what issues may arise and why.  It is extremely difficult to trace bugs that arise on an “open” system like yours.  I mean “open” by virtue of all the possible settings, software, and hardware being utilized on just your system.  Any bug that arises has to be duplicatable (if there’s such a word) in order to trace and fix. If it’s even fixable. 

Nevertheless, as I said, I will pass this thread along.  If they respond, then great.