WD TV HD....my god

So first thing I notice about this “thing” (not sure if I can call it a fictionally piece of hardware yet) It stalled on me about 3 times before getting it to “Properly boot”. Next thing I notice is that after correctly noticing my 3tb hard drive it couldn’t display my 100+ folders… 
I don’t know if it is your ■■■■ software that because it is 3tb it wont display properly or if it is because this “thing” won’t allow a display of over 14 folders at a time.

Now if you noticed I said 100+ folders, yes it is because I have that may back ups, and if you WD guys think that people have nothing to do but sit around and convert our video’s then your company needs to crash and burn. So to continue this rant, when trying to play the selected media that I actually COULD see it says Unsupported format…  Now all my files are AVI which I read on the box was supported. Now if I would of know that I needed them in some SPECIAL, and never seen before codec that wasn’t on the [deleted] box I wouldn’t be hear writing this [deleted] Rant.

Not only all the [deleted] above there has been no straight answer about whether or not 3tb will be supported. Apparently it was addressed in a sticky at the beginning of the year and still not straight answer. I mean really WTF is that about 7 months and you guys can’t figure your own software out if it will “one day” work or not. Either this ADMIN of this support section is blowing us off or the company is retarded…

I work at a best buy and trust me Ill make sure I tell all my customers this pathetic excuse for a “device” unless I get some answers about this stuff. Yea it might not matter that I tell my 50+ customers a day how horrible a device this is, but it will make me feel better.

WOW this made me feel a whole lot better after my 2.5hour stuggle with this thing :smiley:

EDIT:
So I keep reading these forums and apparently when this “thing” was created 3tb wasn’t around…
Did they think that after we hit 2TB bigger drives would cease to exsist… Is it tomuch to ask that they take the future into account…

Hello,

If posible can you provide a little bit more of information about the your device? for example what model of WDTV you own, can you post the mediainfo of the files you are trying to play.

Is it tomuch to ask that they take the future into account…

Your question makes no logical sense, unless you’re into time travel.

If 3TB drives didn’t exist (and GUID partitioning standard wasn’t finalized) how would they have created firmware to support drives that use that?  The final standard didn’t exist until early last year.

I work at a best buy… 

You work at BEST BUY?   Oh, boy.  Is that supposed to lend credence to your argument?   

… and trust me Ill make sure I tell all my customers this pathetic excuse for a “device” unless I get some answers about this stuff.

What the heck are y’a’ll still doing selling a product that was discontinued years ago!?  I would start by telling your customers that you’re selling OUTDATED, End-of-Life merchandise!

Geez.  Typical Best Buy rant… 

Dtagg wrote:
Now all my files are AVI which I read on the box was supported. Now if I would of know that I needed them in some SPECIAL, and never seen before codec that wasn’t on the [deleted] box I wouldn’t be hear writing this [deleted] Rant.

What’s so special about:

• Xvid/DivX

• AVC

• MPEG1/2/4

• WMV9

• VC-1

• MPEG Audio

• PCM

• AC3

• DTS

??

It’s what 99.999% of encoding software outputs, and what about 99.999% of scene releases use.

Nobody else seems to have major issues playing their .AVI files, whether they encoded them themselves, or whether they’re internet pirate downloads.

It’s utterly false to say that you need special, never heard before codecs… the only codecs that the chip will support ARE the well-known ones… the special, never-heard-before ones are the ones Sigma didn’t include support for.

And besides… my WDTV HD came with software to convert unsupported media into supported media.  The best bet is to just encode into a supported format in the first place, but most unsupported files can be converted into what Sigma designed the chip to decode.  Once the chip was built, it can’t be changed, so if you’re not willing to convert unsupported files into something the chip can handle, perhaps you shouldn’t have chosen a device that didn’t support your files.