WD TV Device... Required Information

Hi Guys!!!

I am new to WD Tv  device. Can any one help me which device i should buy (latest version ) to connect to my HDTV . I would also require knowledge on this device. What are the features and advantages of the device?

I really appreciate you in this regard.

thanks

Why not read on the site and compare them all (may even be a compare function on site) or try using search as I bet it gets asked lots.

helmutcheese wrote:

Why not read on the site and compare them all (may even be a compare function on site) or try using search as I bet it gets asked lots.

This was a nice way to put it – so is this, but it’s a bit more “on target”: 

Hey, tweeety, do you always ask people to shop for you?  Do you not have a “Personal Shopper” like the rest of us do?  Gee, too bad.

Why not dig into some of this stuff yourself first, and then when you have a substantive and more specific question, I (and perhaps others) will feel more like helping you out!

Whats the point of having a help section if no ones prepared to help the other poster out.

gagde wrote:

What’s the point of having a help section if no ones prepared to help the other poster out.

OK, so why don’t you help the person?

The poster apparently has not done ANY basic homework, and I personally do not feel like helping people who have not done so.  I prefer to help those who try to help themselves, first.  If the questions indicated the person had done some basic research into the products (other than acknowledge their existence) , I would definitely help with a more focused question.

Always buy the latest version of any device (yes there are exceptions but that is the general rule). The newest device will always have the longest support cycle. As for advantages, Roku’s are great for online services only, the Boxee is great for local playback, but the WD Live is the best hybrid model. It is simple to stream from local content, NAS content, DLNA media servers, or online services such as Netflix. The builtin media library is a bonus and the recent additions of the Hauppage app add Live TV.

The WD Play is the newest device but not the best for playing all your media. It is biased towards apps / services rather like the Roku, so I would go with the WD Live Streaming.

I started with XP media centre, tried a few servers like boxee and some other DLNA based windows servers, looked at a few options on Ubuntu as well. I has .TS, .MKV, ISO and also ripped DVDs and none of these options really covered them all.
I settled on a PopcornHour for a few years first using USB drives, then a NAS from synology with a jukebox on the iPad to select movies. The only problems the PCH is very unstable. It does play anything you throw at it though.
Finally got fed up and tried Apple TV - but that turns out to be the flakiest product ever produced by Apple.
Now have two WD Live TVs and generally they are doing the job. Media library is not as sexy as using the iPad, and it is slow but it does all except the .ISO files. Those have to be played via a windows share.
Stability is also an issue with this device though, I have noticed a lot of “freezing” since the last upgrade, but so far just annoying, not disastrous. Only been a few weeks but serving the movies from a NAS via the WD Live TV and an Onkyo Amp to a projector is looking ok.

Andy  >>> using the iPad, and it is slow but it does all except the .ISO files. Those have to be played via a windows share.

True, but if you want to stream ISO (and MKV) files to your iPad, look into VLC Streamer app.  Search the messages for info, as I have written about it elsewhere here.   I like it – and it’s a two buck app!  (free to try out.)