WD Passport failure

Good morning all,

I have a 320GB WD Passport external hard drive that appears to have failed. The symptoms I’m getting are:

Can connect to computer but does not autoplay.
When going in via ‘My Computer’ and clicking unlock.exe causes the drive to freeze and the led light then flashes.

I’ve recovered data from hard drives before so I know how to do that but I’m not keen on formatting this drive as I fear that the files may be encrypted due to the password protection.

Any advice on what to do or check first? Really need this data back.

Thank you

Darren

I’ve just run a diagnostic on the drive with the ‘Data Lifeguard Diagnositc for Windows’ tool. This has instantly come up with a message saying there are too many bad sectors to continue.

I’ve also tried a different cable and also several different computers. I’m running Windows 10.

Unfortunately it sounds like the drive is too far gone to get at the data naturally. I’d contact a Data Recovery Partner and get a quote on what it’ll cost to recover the data (presuming you have no backup?)

Just bought new My Passport for Mac and running Diagnose Complete Drive Test and return was Drive FAILED.

Now what do I do?

Karen

hi @Darren_Thorndick have you tried taking it out of the enclosure and plugging it in? let me know!

A post was split to a new topic: Why don’t passports last?