WD NAS, Alexa and Plex working together to play music and video

First of all, this is not an idea for WD to consider. It is an idea for USERS of WD upper tier NAS devices to consider doing, because it is cool and it works! This is the most appropriate forum in which to alert a lot of users of the products.

In a nutshell, I (and others) have been using the voice control of Alexa to tell Plex to select music (and video) stored and served by my WD NAS to play the media on a stereo, TV, and other devices such as a Roku and an Alexa Dot (via its audio out) to the stereo. Right now, my stereo is playing music by an artist I told Alexa to have Plex play. Example command: “Alexa, ask Plex to play Miles Davis” and his music tracks begin playing on the stereo.

After a lot of trial and error, I got this whole thing to work. Instructions are scattered around the internet, and I had to piece it all together. If you want to do same with your equipment, I am not going to give directions in this post. Instead, I will post a link below where I have kept a log of my activities and recently posted instructions for another forum member. You have what you need to know to set it up for yourself.

If you are interested, here is the link:

Hi mike27oct,

Thank you for sharing such information for the users who need.

Has anyone other than me been using the Alexa/Plex combo to play their music from their WD NAS?

Awesome, and just recently it has become even more awesome, because Plex has introduced “Library Radio” for using with Alexa. All ya gotta say to an Alexa device is, “Alexa, ask Plex to play music.” and it responds by saying “playing Library Radio” and proceeds to play one random track after another from your NAS music library – “forever” or until you ask Alexa to stop, then ask it to close Plex. If you don’t like the selection playing, just say, “Alexa, play next song.” Overall, a killer app!

Can’t seem to find or install plex or roku on my wdtv live hub any advice appreciated