Really disappointed with the EX2 apps

After all this Plex discussion, I have decided to keep Plex turned off in my WD DL2100, because there is only one thing I find it useful enough for to use it from time to time. That use is so I can say, Alexa, ask Plex to play music by a certain artist (example: Alexa, ask Plex to play The Beatles) After which a random mix of the artist’s tracks from the My Cloud begin playing to my stereo directly from an Alexa Dot, or via the Roku if I want to see the list of tracks being played. This feature is pretty cool, although I also have other ways to play music from NAS.

I never use Plex to play videos/movies. I have better devices for that,like a WDTV (which I got in 2011 and have never needed to transcode any videos so I can play them) as well as via Amazon Fire TV with Kodi app that also plays any format of video, too.

I also can easily turn Plex back on by using the Dashboard running in the Safari browser on an iPad.

I came to this conclusion after ramping down the Plex scan setting which reduced the frequency of scans, but not by enough. Plex works the NAS drives too hard constantly, but it doesn’t at all if Plex is turned off.

BTW, here is a link to a recent post of mine if anyone wants to set up “Plexa” to play music via voice commands:

1 Like